On / Standby / Off - Information - Power LED Colors - Green / Orange / Red - Hot Wii?

LESLIEx317537

I sold my Wii
Dec 1, 2006
Long Island, NY
I was wondering why my Wii was staying warm even after I shut it off. I then remembered the Wii setting for standby mode where it will check for messages from the Internet even when the Wii is not on.

I then turned the standby option to off.
Shut off my Wii and noticed the power LED was now RED.

I felt the Wii after 15 minutes and it was cool to the touch. So now I know why it was staying warm, it was checking the web every now and then for messages.

The only thing about turning this off is obviously the slot won't glow blue until you turn the console on when you have messages. No biggie for me as I don't use my Wii for communication. I have a PC and use email and IM.

Here's the deal...

Before 1st Wii Update...
Power on - Green LED
Power off - Red LED

After 1st Wii Update...
Power on - Green LED
Power off - Orange LED

At least that's how it was for me... Maybe try going to settings to make sure WiiConnect24 is on?

No, it just because, as he said, orange is for standby. The updates makes your wii using the wiiconnect24. That's the only reason of the orange. Try setting it off, as he said again, and it goes back red.

Anyone can say if letting it on standby may overheat it? it is on standby/on since tuesday and no major change of the heat when i touch it. it stays between cold and warm, depends on which side i touch

I don't think you understand my post SukhKular.

I'm saying that I know the 3 power modes now and I'm sharing the information with others...

I went to Wii System Settings Page 2.

WiiConnect24 Option

WiiConnect24 - On
Standby Connection - Off <--This option here will make your Wii cool off when not on and the led RED. But you won't get message notification (Blue glow).
Slot Illumination - Bright

Last edited:
Lol I saw your edit just in time. I wondered hardly if you were talking bout me.

Well, I suppose I'll put it to off during the day and on during the night. So when I play and stop, it cools off and when I sleep, it stays on for eventual message

matperry said:
Anyone can say if letting it on standby may overheat it? it is on standby/on since tuesday and no major change of the heat when i touch it. it stays between cold and warm, depends on which side i touch

I've had mine on and mostly in standby since the 19th. So 10 days so far and it hasn't had any noticeable problems. I even left the Sports disc in the slot.

I checked the temp with my IR gun and it didn't seem over 100.

It passively cools itself while in standby and uses a small fan I think when on. Since it's not doing much in standby, it doesn't need as much cooling.

I don't think the Wii will have problems with heat like the other two consoles, the Xbox 360 and PS3. They are doing alot more calculations and the cores give off alot of heat when in use.

cool. I won't have to change the option every days. I heard a PS3 overheated after 1 hour straight play in a demonstration in the launch day. It's much more of a problem of some wiimote that doesnt work perfectly or internet not being compatible with not early enough router. what a joke...

And you have a IR gun? How come?

LESLIEx317537 said:
I don't think you understand my post SukhKular.

I'm saying that I know the 3 power modes now and I'm sharing the information with others...

I went to Wii System Settings Page 2.

WiiConnect24 Option

WiiConnect24 - On
Standby Connection - Off <--This option here will make your Wii cool off when not on and the led RED. But you won't get message notification (Blue glow).
Slot Illumination - Bright

lol okay... I confused myself.

I used it for my Nitro RC cars a while back. Dont have anymore though.

Now I use it for testing my PC temps and Xbox360 temps etc...

Just a handy tool to have.

and 100? whats the degree. prolly fahrenheit. What would it be in Celsius. I never work with F°

Back