Online Games

Tacos

Banned
Nov 15, 2006
It seems like every time I hear about a great game for Wii, like CoD3 or Splinter Cell or whatever, everyone says something like, "Yeah it is great, but it doesn't have online play." Are there any games with online play, or expected to have online play for the Wii? I haven't really seen any.

Tacos said:
It seems like every time I hear about a great game for Wii, like CoD3 or Splinter Cell or whatever, everyone says something like, "Yeah it is great, but it doesn't have online play." Are there any games with online play, or expected to have online play for the Wii? I haven't really seen any.

Yeah it is a shame but these are launch titles, there will be many more good games to come that will support online!

They may even release updates to make some online you never know!

Yeah they will have online games. But it's not if they will that scares me. It's will they do it right.

This is alot to read but heres the information you want.

The service has several features for the console, such as the Virtual Console, WiiConnect24 and the Wii Browser. The Wii console can also communicate and connect with other Wii systems by wireless LAN, enabling local wireless multiplayer on different television sets. Battalion Wars 2 first demonstrated this feature, for non-split screen multiplayer between two or more televisions. Nintendo announced two Wi-Fi enabled games at LGC 2006 in Leipzig: Mario Strikers Charged, and Battalion Wars 2. Although the console features an online mode, Nintendo has not provided the programming tools for 3rd party developers yet, meaning that only first party Wii games will be online, at least in 2006.

The service will also be used to distribute content such as software patches and updated game content while not in use (such as the addition of online play to Call of Duty 3). At the E3 2006 Nintendo Conference, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata described Wii as "the system that never sleeps." The WiiConnect24 system requires about seven watts, about the equivalent of a miniature lightbulb.

WiiConnect24 can be turned on or off via the Wii's Setup Interface. the Wii Optical Drive will glow a neon-blue color when you have received content. The brightness level of this blue color can also be changed via the Setup Interface, with the options of Bright, Dull, or Off.

The following are titles whose developers have expressed interest in implementing features to take advantage of WiiConnect24:

Animal Crossing Wii
Battalion Wars 2
Far Cry: Vengeance
Mario Strikers Charged
Third-party developers have not yet been provided the tools necessary for online play to be worked into their games. This means that, at least until 2007, no third-party games will feature online functionality.

The following are titles whose developers have confirmed the existence of features to take advantage of WiiConnect24:

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Pokémon Battle Revolution
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

"Let's say your Wii is connected to the Internet in a mode that allows activation on a 24-hour basis. This would allow Nintendo to send monthly promotional demos for the DS, during the night, to the Wii consoles in each household. Users would wake up each morning, find the LED lamp on their Wii flashing, and know that Nintendo has sent them something. They would then be able to download the promotional demo from their Wiis to their Nintendo DSs."

Source:

Wii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WiiConnect24 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Back