Online/Internet Connection

riley66

WiiChat Member
Nov 13, 2006
Hi!

I was just wondering if anyone knows I would connect to the internet or play online with the Wii. Im planning on buying wireless internet before I get the wii so I will be able to do these things but I do not know if there is anything else I need to buy. Would the Wii just connect through the wireless internet automatically? Would I need a router? I dont know if it connects to access points, and I dont know if wirless internet can be detected as one.

Thanks

Hmm i think a Linksys would do just fine, thats what i use for my PSP internet.

Last edited:
slightly off topic here. but what launch titles actually support online play?

From the holy official wii site itself: all bow in its presence;

"The Wii console communicates wirelessly with the Internet via IEEE 802.11 or a Wii LAN Adapter. Wii also can connect wirelessly with Nintendo DS."

I think that if your pc/ wireless router or whatever/ watsit communicates at that (IEEE 802.11) you'll be fine. If all comes crashing down you can buy a Nintendo WiFi USB connector. Basically, its about £25 (not sure of dollars- about $45?) which sticks in your usb port on pc, and should run smoothly. Im sure there will be a lot more info come launch day, from those wii-mad men in America.

epikon said:
I don't think any games are online for 2006 :nonod: but I don't really know much about online for the Wii

epikon said:

Sorry, this came as i was writing;

im afraid: NONE. The first playable online game i think will be pokemon. This wont be out till early 07 (dont think there is a confirmed date as yet.) if you dont like pokemon, the other online games are Super Smash bros brawl, batallion wars 2, and i think a few else (those are the two im defo getting). though wii can go online from day one to browse internet, download virtual games , vheck the news and weather etc.

As of right now, no launch titles have online play. But that is going to change in the near future, guaranteed. Not sure which titles will come out with it or if any launch titles will offer it later, but there will be plenty to choose from later on.

Some people are thinking that maybe some launch titles might get online through downloable updates for the game. Some launch (or close to it) are "exploring online possibilities". o_O

Homesrfan said:
Some people are thinking that maybe some launch titles might get online through downloable updates for the game. Some launch (or close to it) are "exploring online possibilities". o_O

I think I actually heard that somewhere, hmmm....would be kind of cool, Wii Sports or Excite Truck online would be fun

Back