Online Wii Games

slumlordkuype

Raised on the Dairy
Apr 3, 2007
B.C. Canada
Wii Online Code
0160-5039-1447-5163
I was sitting here thinking and reading about how everyone is waiting and longing for online play, but is not sure why it's taking so long... has anyone thought about how much data the Wii-mote must throw to the system and how much data would have to transfered online... A high speed connection would be fine but the speed at wich movements change and the different input style would most likely need to be compensated for online... just my two cents tell me what you think or if i'm on some really good glue...:cool:

just think of wii boxing and how much data would have to flow baby!!

Attachments

• WIIBOXING.jpg
    WIIBOXING.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 116
gp, I work in metadata management for a university press, and we started offering some of our titles in a granulated chapter by chapter style in any format you could want, elec. audio, etc ..... Anywho it has been hell dealing with all the new ISBNs, for each chapter and each format blah blah..

so i get your concern, however, with the collection systems for data that are out now and still on their way i dont think we will have to worry about it, its up to ninty to deal with it and i dont think they would let the online play out the door if these probs were happening

The wiimote uses bluetooth for communication. Bluetooth 1.x is 721Kbps, Bluetooth 2.0 is functionally 1.4Mbps. However, I find that BT anywhere beyond 5 feet tends towards 128-386kbps.

For those not aware, 1Kbps is 1000 bits per second. Since network communication has overhead, 10bits per byte is usually figured. A 56Kbps modem transmits about 4.8 thousand bytes per second. That's more than enough for most games to send data to the net.

Now, all that said, even spacially complex games like FPS games on PCs tend to only push 2-4Kbps. However, the pull more, closer to 30Kbps.

The amount of traffic sent to the Internet isn't based on the amount of spacial data the controllers send to the system.

Wow... I have always wondered how much data is thrown back and forth and I guess this explains it in simple enough terms i can understand... thanks for the info strommsarnac... :yesnod:

Back