Opera question

Mais

Wii Owner
Nov 14, 2006
So I've heard some about the Opera browser Wii has implemented, but I don't know that much. I can't connect my Wii to the internet yet because of networking issues. I hope to have the things I need to connect to the internet very soon. Anywho, can you actually search the web with the Opera browser or is it only for use with the online store, news, and weather channel? Can you create channels for different internet sites? Im really curious as to the capabilities of this "browser" and if you can actually do any browsing with it.

The Opera browser isn't actually available yet, but it will just be normal internet surfing, just like with Internet Explorer, Netscape, or Firefox. The shop, news, and weather channels are separate (but similar).

Yup i cant wait. Go to my websites that host movies with good quality and ill be set for life.

any word on when it's availible? I know all the free stuff until June etc etc, but I was under the impression it was out already.

For a while when Firefox was in the RC2 phase and would crash every two seconds I used Opera on my MacBook and it's one hell of a browser. I swiched back to Firefox when they fixed all the bugs and stuff and 2.0 came out though. Too bad Nintendo couldn't catch a deal with Mozilla. I would love for the Wii to have Firefox. Maybe even Thunderbird? That would complete the Wii if it had a POP3 mail utility.

tank said:
For a while when Firefox was in the RC2 phase and would crash every two seconds I used Opera on my MacBook and it's one hell of a browser. I swiched back to Firefox when they fixed all the bugs and stuff and 2.0 came out though. Too bad Nintendo couldn't catch a deal with Mozilla. I would love for the Wii to have Firefox. Maybe even Thunderbird? That would complete the Wii if it had a POP3 mail utility.
If its one hell of a browser why would you want another browser? Maybe I misunderstood.

Cause I'm too loyal to Firefox. I was only using Opera for about a month because of an awkward phase Mozilla was going through as they were trying to put out firefox 2.0

I was just saying that in my experience Opera is a good browser and all, works well, never crashes and it will be an awesome addition to the Wiis online features, but I think it would be even better if they used Firefox. Both are very stable and secure browsers. Now that I think about it Opera may be programed off the Mozilla build (it was open source at first, no?). But i still support Firefox(and other Mozilla programs) over Opera.

IE is trash. If I ever set up or re-format a friends PC the first thing i do is install Firefox, and Ad-Aware SE. I just don't trust IE.

No one in their right mind would use IE over FireFox, but saying they shoulda used FireFox over Opera before the Opera browser is even out means nothing. If you don't like the Opera browser after you've used it on the Wii, then you can say stuff. Chill until then. Im sure they are implementing different features for the Wii, that will make the browsers quite different from their desktop/laptop brothers therefore nullifying any comparisons.

Has anyone heard when Opera is going to be available for download? I've looked around and found nothing. I might have been looking in the wrong places though.

Opera

I read in this months nintendo official mag that opera will be available for download in December (as assured by nintendo).

Hope this helps

All the best

Nintendoid

Oh no I'm chill. I never meant to make that a rant at Nintendo, or say that Opera was a bad choice. In fact I'm very excited to use it on a Wii. I'm just saying that if I was the big man I would have called Mozilla first (maybe I'm just partial).

But the software on Wii, from what I understand, is going to work off the same build as the opera browser for computers. It may look and act different, but as far as code goes, wouldn't you assume it to be based off the same software build? It would make sence for them to do because you would need the same security features on a Wii. If you're crafty with packet sniffers I'm sure it's not that hard to pick out the SSID of the network you're running off and using that to do some damage to your Wii, or even your computer attached to the same network. But do you know anything about a software and/or firmware firewall built in?

But no, I haven't been able to find an availability date either.

Thanks Nintendoid, thats what I was lookin for. Thats as close to an official word as I've heard so I'm goin with it. I bet they make it a Christmas/holidays thing.

tank said:
Why are you using firefox instead of Opera? You do know that firefox pretty much just uses the ideas that opera has and implements them like a week later. Example: tabbed browsing. Opera has it. Two months later firefox has it.
I agree with you on IE being horrible. All except for IE7 but I still wouldnt reccomend it.

I don't know of *anyone* who has ever tried firefox and didn't like it. I like using the extensions. It lets you add tools you will use, but not take up all kinds of space and mass chaos with ones you don't need. I think they should do something like that with the main Wii interface.

Back