Opera reveal Wii browser details

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
In a recent press release, Opera have revealed some more details about the Wii version of their web browser.

Features like Zoom, Bookmarks, and Wimote functionality will all come standard. The browser will be free for all Wii users to download until June 2007, after that, gamers will have to spend Wii points to download the software to their consoles.

The best bits of the press release are below.

Opera Software today announced details on its browser for Nintendo’s soon-to-be released game console, Wii. Opera’s full Web browser is available for download from the "Wii Shop Channel". Nintendo has stated that they will offer Opera free of charge as a temporary promotion for all Wii users until June 2007.

From July 2007, users can purchase the Opera browser using Wii points. Wii points are credits users can buy that allow them to add new games or the Opera browser to their Wii consoles. The number of Wii points required to purchase Opera has not yet been announced.

With support for Flash and AJAX-based content such as Google maps, Wii users will benefit from a feature-rich Internet experience that is uniquely customized for the Wii. Opera for Wii boasts the same complete standards support as the Opera 9 Desktop browser, and includes the added functionality of "Zoom" and "Bookmarks". The Wii remote control will also be an integral part of browsing, allowing users to intuitively control the Web with their Wii remotes.

Nintendo has previously announced that Wii will be available in the U.S. on November 19, 2006, Japan on December 2, 2006, and in Europe on December 8, 2006. The cost for the console is $249.99 or 25,000 Yen.

It's nice that they confimed it to be free here in Europe too. It will be nice to play online chess from my bedroom :smilewinkgrin:

Hes asking if u have to pay for OPERA more than once, and the answer to that is no. It says that opera for wii will have the functions of opera 9 for desktop... Does that mean voice recognition too?

web on the wii is free because it is wireless if you have a wireless router with your pc then you will only have to pay for the internet connection for the pc not for the wii because the wii is using a wireless conection, idiot.

K.K. Slider said:
web on the wii is free because it is wireless if you have a wireless router with your pc then you will only have to pay for the internet connection for the pc not for the wii because the wii is using a wireless conection, idiot.
WAT THE HECK! Dont u understand? You have to pay for the browser! ITS CALLED OPERA IF U DIDNT REALISE! You cant go surf on the internet if u have a connection and no browser! Wat have u been smoking, wateva it is i want 5 mg cause it must be strong.

To confirm for those who are still unsure, the payment is 1 off. The idea is that in 2007, people will have to pay a SMALL fee to DOWNLOAD the opera browser. It wont be a monthly fee. I'd be happy to pay for the opera browser, since it's obviously taken a lot of work to create a browser for the console.

m7ticalm said:
WAT THE HECK! Dont u understand? You have to pay for the browser! ITS CALLED OPERA IF U DIDNT REALISE! You cant go surf on the internet if u have a connection and no browser! Wat have u been smoking, wateva it is i want 5 mg cause it must be strong.

you get the browser by paying a few wii points once and then its ****ing free.

Geez, some stressy people over here today are there not? lol

Anyway, Im glad that it will be free everywhere until June 2007.

This means that over here in the UK, we will have the Wii Browser free for just under 7 months :)

That's quite good really! Nintendo could have chosen to give us 1 month free trial...but...BOOM! 7 months! (7 and a bit more for America)

rockkybox said:
Go to http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/topics/wii_preview/presentation/08.html and watch the video on the bottom of page 8, dya think its real? it looks a bit clunky?
Definately looks real.

Why else would Nintendo put it on the official website?

And it doesnt look that clunky...well, maybe a little, but that it probably because Wii is not a proper computer.

I suppose we cant really expect it to be as easy to use as what we are doing now. (Imagine text entry for example...there will probably be an on screen keyboard where you have to hover the cursor over each letter...imagine how hard that will be with the Wiimote) :S

Back