Opera reveal Wii browser details

Dial-up??? man are you unlucky, where the hell do you live if you can't get dsl, cable or even ISDN???
Last time I used dial-up is like eight years ago.

To Clarify for people

Opera is a Browser which you spend 2000 wii points to get unless you buy the console before June 2007

Opera is _Only_ a browser and you will need an Internet connection for Opera to work at all.

Nintendo has stated it will work wirelessly but for people who doesnt have wireless router there will be cable-solutions too.

in touch with the wii said:
maybe a keyboard could be produced?
Since Wii uses bluetooth with it's controllers, I'm guessing, in time, we can just buy a bluetooth or usb-wireless keyboard, although bluetooth would be the best because then no dongles would be required. Nintendo will probably make a small wii-style keyboard, with keys like those of a laptop.

they will have a basic onscreen keyboard but they will bring out a bluetooth keyboard soon hopefully a mini keyboard that plugs into the wiimote and is on the bottom of it
dont try typeing anything long on a psp

Guys i think ive got a theory that might be true, here it is: You buy with the Wii points no the opera but actual months or years like a mmorpg subscription (eg runescape, EVE ect ect) So you could pay 4 a month or 3 moths for a bit less than 3 one months added up or a year (you get the picture) i think it might be true but i hope not! I JUST WANT F***ING FREE INTERNET ON Wii!!!!!!!!!!Mii!

Sameiru, it's posts like yours that create all the confusion in the first place. If you read through the thread, you'll notice that this was the topic in the first place. There is NO, I repeat, NO subscription fee, monthly fee, or annual fee of any kind. The ONLY, the ONLY payment you will make for Opera on the Wii, is a 2000 Wii-point purchase, IF you buy the console after June 2007.

Hope that clears things up, and I'm pretty sure this is correct. There is always some differing opinions of what the "Opera free until June 2007" means, but the general consensus is exactly what I've written here.

it could just be that they release a patch that you have to pay for and you cant use the browser without it after june.

I'm with you FLIP, what is it with you people. Its simple, Opera will be FREE (like forever) if you purchase your Wii up to June 2007, after which time you will then PAY for Opera as a one of purchase and then you can browse the net FOREVER.

Did i miss anything there, ummmm let me see

Ashenshugar said:
To Clarify for people

Opera is a Browser which you spend 2000 wii points to get unless you buy the console before June 2007

Opera is _Only_ a browser and you will need an Internet connection for Opera to work at all.

Nintendo has stated it will work wirelessly but for people who doesnt have wireless router there will be cable-solutions too.

Does it allow Ethernet cable? I always thought it's 'wireless only' as I dont have wireless router and not considering to switch as the cable type is so much more reliable compare to the wireless.

bondbond611 said:
Does it allow Ethernet cable? I always thought it's 'wireless only' as I dont have wireless router and not considering to switch as the cable type is so much more reliable compare to the wireless.

Nah I'm pretty sure they have an ethernet port on the Wii, and if they don't then you can still get it wireless. Simply buy a USB device such as the one sold for the DS, connect it to your pc and while the pc is on the internet the USB device will let the Wii connect through it "piggybacking" on the internet as it were, wirelessly.

bondbond611 said:
If you want to connect Wii to the internet via a wire rather than using it's built-in WiFi capabilities, then you'll need a USB/Ethernet adapter because the Wii doesn't have an ethernet port, it has two USB ports. The adapter is a short USB cord that has a little converter at the end, with a ethernet port on the end of the converter part, which you will plug in the ethernet cable that connects to your modem or router.

So does this mean if you download it before june 2007 you will have it free or that after 2007 you will have to pay for it even if you have got it before june.

nojoegohome said:
So does this mean if you download it before june 2007 you will have it free or that after 2007 you will have to pay for it even if you have got it before june.
No, here's how it works: From Wii's launch until June 2007, the Opera web browser will be free to download. Then, from July 2007 on, if you haven't already downloaded it, you will have to pay a small, one-time payment. That's it! You will not be charged anything after that.

Hope that helped.:)

Back