Opinion: Wii WILL Play DVDs

teqguy

WiiChat Member
Oct 2, 2006
California
With recent news that the Wii supports MPEG layer 3(mp3) format audio, in addition to audio CDs, it came to my attention that the lack of DVD playback in the Wii was strictly due to a software decision. The hardware to support it, however, suffers from no limitations to make this happen.

So, the question is, why not include it if it's technically possible to do so?

As stated by Perrin Kaplan and several other representatives, to include DVD playback would raise the overall cost to the consumer. This isn't exactly a stretch. In fact, it would also cost Nintendo a bundle to license the MPEG2 codec required to decode DVD frames.

In a recent interview, Iwata indicated that the Wii's operating system will continue to be updated after launch. Not only is this entirely plausible, but to expand on this, it's also possible that additions to the software could be made.

The third piece to this puzzle is the fact that there are widely used codecs that are released under GPL licenses, allowing them to be open and used freely.

Codecs such as XviD, paired with an MPEG2 wrapper, could enable playback of DVDs and DviX/XviD encoded files. This would open up the Wii to the market of those who keep all of their DVDs archived on a hard drive, allowing them to play them on a box smaller than their DVD player, while retaining all functionality and gaining some in the process.

I don't know. I don't care really. In the USA, buying a video game for a DVD player is hardly a deciding factor.

The possibility of watching a DVD on the Wii doesn't even excite me at all. Why?

My wife is from Russia. Her family (and her at 16) moved to Israel. They aren't particularly poor . . . but not rich either.

They don't have a DVD player. Maybe having a DVD player with the Wii would be good for other demographics . . . if you could convince those demographics they needed a video game . . . but for the USA it just doesn't matter.

Not sure about other countries in the world.

Drakky said:
get a ps3 dont get the wii
whats wrong with this guy, Drakky , He is on a nintendo wii forum promoting PS3 usage lol [XD haha that sounds like a drug commercial] I mean if you really wanna promote PS3 just go to Some sony boards and leave us alone because you are really getting on my nerves:wtf:

Drakky said:
get a ps3 dont get the wii

As Flip once said, "We don't walk around with thousands of dollars in our pockets."

It would be pretty cool to have DVD playback on the Wii, but not realy needed. If I want to watch a movie, which I don't realy do, I will go downstairs and choose which DVD player to watch it on. xD

I don't care if it can play DVDs or not since i already have several players. Since there are free codecs, someone could probably hack it and make it possible.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Ignore Drakky. He just wants to piss people off.

GreyKirby said:
whats wrong with this guy, Drakky , He is on a nintendo wii forum promoting PS3 usage lol [XD haha that sounds like a drug commercial] I mean if you really wanna promote PS3 just go to Some sony boards and leave us alone because you are really getting on my nerves:wtf:

if you dont like me then why dont you leave

Jenova said:
As Flip once said, "We don't walk around with thousands of dollars in our pockets."

It would be pretty cool to have DVD playback on the Wii, but not realy needed. If I want to watch a movie, which I don't realy do, I will go downstairs and choose which DVD player to watch it on. xD

as I said before in the end the wii will cost more

COLDshiver said:
Ignore Drakky. He is pissing me off because he is right.

fixed

MetroidZ said:
but ninty has already ruled out DVD's. whereas the mp3 playback was never ruled out if i remember. would be cool i guess because i dont have one in my room but meh..

They ruled out including one at launch. This doesn't mean they can't add it as an update later on.

JeremyDay said:
In the USA, buying a video game for a DVD player is hardly a deciding factor.

The possibility of watching a DVD on the Wii doesn't even excite me at all. Why?

Okay, if not a DVD, what about home movies and videos from the internet?

I own a PMP(portable media player) that I use to store all of my music and movies. It has the capability of hooking up to a TV, which eliminates the need for a DVD player, while functioning as a PVR to record TV shows.

This essentially eliminates four devices: iPod, portable DVD player, console DVD player, and PVR all at the size of the iPod.

I think as a multimedia center, the Wii could eliminate the DVD player all together. Why, you ask? Because people hate how clunky they are.

Furthermore, if Nintendo were to add support for a USB HDTV tuner and TiVo-esque recording software, you would have everything you need in your livingroom with just a TV and the compact size of the Wii.

That could eliminate a lot of hassle for people, especially with everything on the Wii organized as channels- a format they're already familiar with.

Last edited:
If DVD playback is made possible through a software/firmware update, I wonder if Nintendo or some third party will make a wiimote that has more buttons for DVD playback, like a pause/play, fast forward, skip scene, etc.

MetroidZ said:
ur right, im getting the ps3 now. no wii for me. thanks ur a life saver. now u can go away now.
You know what you convince me ill skip the Wii and Go straight with PS3...sooo yeah well i guess why don't need your help anymore so bye bye

NateTheGreat said:
If DVD playback is made possible through a software/firmware update, I wonder if Nintendo or some third party will make a wiimote that has more buttons for DVD playback, like a pause/play, fast forward, skip scene, etc.

Better yet, why not have it gesture based?

Hold A button and make a 90 degree angle for play, two vertical lines for pause, a square for stop, etc.

Edit: I know Drakky is annoying guys, but by adding posts to counter his posts, you're just hijacking threads and creating more of a disturbance.

Back