Over-Rated & Under-Rated Music Artists.

Gikoku Harakami

ミュージック
Oct 25, 2007
どこかに日本でか。
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
Simple thread, express your opinion of who you feel is over-rated and under-rated in the music industry, and why.

Over-Rated:

Ayumi Hamasaki: I blame her fans & producers for her being (possibly) the most over-rated JPOP artist of all time. Her fans & producers over-hype every album & single of hers as this untouchable piece of perfection...
Her voice is decent, but she's definitely not the best singer out there (compared to Utada Hikaru, or the classic Yoko Oginome and Minako Honda). She can't handle any ballad without her voice breaking up, or her vocals occasionally turning nasally.

I definitely enjoy her trance albums alot, but the rest of her catalog doesn't really do it for me. Plus her Happy Hardcore songs where her voice sounds like a 5-year old, really gives me a headache.

Morning Musume: Music group of 25 girls (and counting), thank god these girls are incredibly cute, because that's what majority of the members have to offer. 20 of them are below-average singers, with a fraction of the other 5 being poorly used in this mega group even though this small handful can sing very well.

Lil' Jon: "YEAH!" Is all I ever hear about this guy, I've seen alot of his lyrics but it's 90% of..
YEAH! Turn around *****, and serve that dick! Serve that dick! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!.... .... ... ... *****! *****!.. YEAH! YEAH! YEAH ! YEAH! Serve That-WHAT! YEAH!
Does he know how to write any meaningful lyrics? I don't understand why he's so popular..

Soulja Boy: Not much I can say about this kid, comes up with a cheap two-step dance knock-off of MC Hammer's "Shuffle Dance", and hits #1 with an incredibly basic yet uninspiring track.

:0 Something is definitely wrong here..

Britney Spears: Her personal life aside, what I could say for her is about the same for Ayumi Hamasaki.

Under-Rated:

W (or Double-U): A JPop duo with alot of very catchy tunes that have unique rhythms & melodies. Yeah, they're cute, but with Morning Musume over-shadowing them, they didn't get far.. Former members of the Musume group that went solo, and got over-shadowed greatly, with their last album having been canceled and the group disbanded.

Asian Kung-Fu Generation: Highly popular by their US fans, but not that special in Japan. They have the sound, and definitely the talent.. but aren't as big as they should be, simply because they don't have "the look". Group of guys who look like your average, in the garage, rock band nerds.

Boom Boom Satellites: Highly talented group that has been around for quite awhile, but due to their unique ambient garbage sound, they have remained very unpopular... this until they've decided to change their sound for a more Electro-Rock fusion style, that has finally gained them attention, though they still creep the odd track in that comes from their original style.

Simple thread, express your opinion of who you feel is over-rated and under-rated in the music industry, and why.

Over-Rated:

Ayumi Hamasaki: I blame her fans & producers for her being (possibly) the most over-rated JPOP artist of all time. Her fans & producers over-hype every album & single of hers as this untouchable piece of perfection...
Her voice is decent, but she's definitely not the best singer out there (compared to Utada Hikaru, or the classic Yoko Oginome and Minako Honda). She can't handle any ballad without her voice breaking up, or her vocals occasionally turning nasally.

I definitely enjoy her trance albums alot, but the rest of her catalog doesn't really do it for me. Plus her Happy Hardcore songs where her voice sounds like a 5-year old, really gives me a headache.

When I read your name and the title of this thread, I knew this was going to be here.

I like her 5 year old voice, personally. Maybe it's just the paedophile in me. I listened to all the ones you mentioned, and they just sound more like Western singers.

Asian Kung-Fu Generation: Highly popular by their US fans, but not that special in Japan. They have the sound, and definitely the talent.. but aren't as big as they should be, simply because they don't have "the look". Group of guys who look like your average, in the garage, rock band nerds.

Boom Boom Satellites: Highly talented group that has been around for quite awhile, but due to their unique ambient garbage sound, they have remained very unpopular... this until they've decided to change their sound for a more Electro-Rock fusion style, that has finally gained them attention, though they still creep the odd track in that comes from their original style.

I'll check them out. :thumbsup:

Any pop band/singer is over rated (In my opinion) especially the f^cking Jonas Brothers

The most Under rated band I can think of right now is CKY (Camp Kill yourself) they are a good group who definantley don't have as many fans as they deserve. My favorite song by CKY is "96 Quite Bitter Beings"

Turisas is another band that should have many more bands. They are a finish viking band and they made their own genre called "Battle Metal." They do indeed dress as Vikings during their live shows and their named after some Viking band. It's not a normal band with just guitars, drums, bass and a sing, they use many other instrument like an electric violin or an accordion, and they sound f^cking awesome. If you're going to check them out, I suggest you listen to their song "Rasputin" first. And yes, that is the electric violin at the beginning.

yeah Like disturbed said most pop singers are over rated. Personally I think "G.love and special sauce" are pretty underrated and They are pretty much one of my favorite bands ever.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6kGSN0P8HA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6kGSN0P8HA[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUH4zPdpbug"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUH4zPdpbug[/ame]

Overrated-Anything played every 5 minutes on the Radio

Underrated-Alesana, Killswitch Engage, Mushroomhead

Over-Rated:

Utada ftw. She sounds excellent in both Japanese and English. No accent at all in her singing.

Last edited:
Dorkfish said:
Utada ftw. She sounds excellent in both Japanese and English. No accent at all in her singing.

That I agree, it's not often you find a Jpop artist who can sing equally as good in both languages. You commonly just get the Japanese singer who throws in a bunch of simple english words in a Japanese song.

When I read your name and the title of this thread, I knew this was going to be here.

:lol: What is that supposed to mean?

Brawny said:
I like her 5 year old voice, personally. Maybe it's just the paedophile in me. I listened to all the ones you mentioned, and they just sound more like Western singers.

I'm honestly not that bothered by the common high-pitch singer in JPop, I can go through a single playthrough of a handful of Ayu's euro-beat tracks, but not 2nd playthroughs without it hurting my head.

And, I don't get how Yoko & Minako sound western, Utada yeah.. she's obviously influenced by it, but her voice has a more powerful tone, and she can definitely handle ballads. I'll list some others..
Mika Nakashima
Megumi Hayashibara
Kawai Sonoko
Namie Amuro (Former JPOP Queen in her earlier days, until Ayumi easily kicked her off her throne)
Candies (70's JPOP Trio)
Marina Watanabe

I would mention "TM Revolution" in this list... but that would be unfair.
I'm not saying she's a horrible singer, just.. she's not the perfect Goddess with an unmatched angelic voice that her fangirls say she is.
Oh my God, Ayumi is so beautiful and precious. Her songs make me cry, she's simply the best ever! I LOVE YOU AYU! : D
Course, her beauty is another reason for her unrivaled popularity in Japan, she's been given the nickname Ayumi "Plastic" Hamasaki, for having so much make-up that she looks like one of those perfect plastic dolls. I wonder how popular Ayu would be, if she were ugly.

Under-rated

Testament: One of the un-credited pioneers of the Thrash Metal scene, an important band of the thrash scene that unlike the Big Four, didn't jump bandwagon and go mainstream with them. I would say these guys are just as talented as Megadeth & Metallica, it should have been recognized as the Big Five.. Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Testament, and Anthrax.. but, didn't happen.

Overkill: Another classic pioneer of the Thrash scene with a clear influence by Motorhead, and a sound that could be compared to Megadeth. They're story is pretty much the same as Testaments, an equally talented band that just didn't follow the other 4 into going mainstream.

Last edited:
The list of artists I think are overrated would be long enough to crash this site, so I'll just skip to some of the underrated ones:

Cul de Sac: Among post-rock fans (because no one outside post-rock has heard of them) they often get overlooked in favour of more popular bands like Godspeed You Black Emperor and Explosions in the Sky, but they're a fantastic group with a varied range of sounds and loads of inventiveness.

DJ Shadow: This is how good hip-hop music is done. Except his third album, that was crap (apart from "This Time").

The Velvet Underground: A band from around the same time as The Beatles and The Beach Boys were producing their best work, but unlike them The Velvet Underground doesn't get the attention it deserves, which is a shame because their songs are just as good.

Bark Psychosis: Yeah I know, another post-rock band you've never heard of. Well, I say post-rock, but lumping this band and into the same subgenre as Godspeed and Explosions is proof that the term "post-rock" is really inadequate, since they don't sound much alike at all. It's really just a vague term for "soundscape" rock music. Anyway, they're a brilliant group who, like most bands described as "post-rock" are often ignored. Sadly they've only released two albums in the past 15 years.

Talk Talk: Ignore their 80s synth-pop crap and skip to their last two albums to find some of the most beautiful music you'll ever hear.

Meh, I think Metallica is kinda overrated. They're not that good anymore. They were at first, but not now... Hell, they're even getting thery're own Guitar Hero game. Why not bands like AC/DC and GnR? At least they still make good songs.

Over-rated:

Jonas Brothers etc.

Under-rated

Anti-Flag
Moneen

Went to a concert where those two were playing and they were virtually unknown. Maybe they are more well known in the U.S. but here in Canada almost no one has heard of them. Good bands too.

Some others:

Mobile
The Pigeon Detectives

Everyone else really is kind of in the middle of those, some are almost over while some are just above under. And Mushroomhead FTW..my friend loves those guys.

That I agree, it's not often you find a Jpop artist who can sing equally as good in both languages. You commonly just get the Japanese singer who throws in a bunch of simple english words in a Japanese song.

I prefer "sank you" and "put your hands" over perfect English. I don't know why. It loses the entire J'ness of it. Plus the 5 year old factor is gone as well. The Japanese are all about being adorable.

:lol: What is that supposed to mean?

I just had a feeling.

I'm honestly not that bothered by the common high-pitch singer in JPop, I can go through a single playthrough of a handful of Ayu's euro-beat tracks, but not 2nd playthroughs without it hurting my head.

I can't listen to any of the remixes, so there!
What are examples of songs where the vocals are bad and nasal? I'll admit I don't listen to much stuff before 2002 or so.

And, I don't get how Yoko & Minako sound western, Utada yeah.. she's obviously influenced by it, but her voice has a more powerful tone, and she can definitely handle ballads. I'll list some others..

Yoko's just cheesy sounding. xD
Power + Asian = unsexy

I'm not saying she's a horrible singer, just.. she's not the perfect Goddess with an unmatched angelic voice that her fangirls say she is.

Course, her beauty is another reason for her unrivaled popularity in Japan, she's been given the nickname Ayumi "Plastic" Hamasaki, for having so much make-up that she looks like one of those perfect plastic dolls. I wonder how popular Ayu would be, if she were ugly.
I'll agree there. Her vocals have definitely come a way since the beginning though.

She'd probably be less popular, but still extremely.

I don't know what it is about all the recommended ones. They're either a bit too synth-heavy...or are just missing something.

A lot of Ayu's popularity isn't necessarily her singing ability but her sheer entertainment factor. All these videos I'm watching are quite boring and the audience isn't into it at all.

Hers seem to be more athemic (word?) than the others, I guess.

I'll stop rambling now.

Overrated:
-Lil Wayne
-Metallica
-Paul McCartney's solo career
-Debbie Harry/Blondie
-Etta James
-Lionel Richie
-Donna Summer
-Dionne Warwick
-Frank Sinatra (it's his tone that's great, NOT his skill)
-Ayumi Hamasaki (I take issue with the sound of dying chipmunks)
-Jonas Brothers
-Vanessa Hudgens
-Ashley Tisdale
-Mariah Carey (save 1990-1997, 2005-2006)
-70% of the country artists popular in the last 20 years, because they don't write their music although most people think they do

...I'll definitely add to this.

Underrated:
-Gavin Degraw
-Sia
-JC Chasez (why is Justin the only popular former Nsync member? JC can write and sing just as well.)
-Lady Gaga (it's really easy to hate her initially. I did. But once you listen to her acoustic and realize that she WRITES her music, you change your mind.)

...Most of my favorite people get the appreciation they deserve, or more than they deserve. So I don't have a terribly long list there.

By the way, what the hell is "pop" music anymore? Jonas Brothers, High School Musical kids and Britney Spears? Beyond that, who? (Unless you live in the UK where "pop" in the traditional sense still exists.) I'd consider "pop" to be more along the lines of Fall Out Boy, Paramore, All American Rejects etc as WELL as the aforementioned. "Pop" just means popular now in North America...the specific genre of the 90s it referred to (Aqua, Backstreet Boys, Mandy Moore, etc) is extinct.

Over rated:
AC/DC
ZZ Top
Most everything pop(by that I mean the majority of today's mainstream bands)

Under-rated:
Jazz music in general
Papadosio (more unheard of then under-rated, everyone I know who has heard them thinks they're awesome)
Dispatch
Black Keys
Matisyahu
Tons of random jam bands which I don't feel like listing...
Anti-Flag
Moneen

Went to a concert where those two were playing and they were virtually unknown. Maybe they are more well known in the U.S. but here in Canada almost no one has heard of them. Good bands too.

Anti-flag is well known. I personally think they're terrible though, I can't even take them seriously after I heard the "die for your government" song.

"Pop" just means popular now in North America...the specific genre of the 90s it referred to (Aqua, Backstreet Boys, Mandy Moore, etc) is extinct.
Pop has always meant popular. There has always been pop, like for example the Beatles were 60's pop.

Last edited:
Fair enough. But I still think there was an unspoken genre within pop that specifically meant dance-ish bubblegum artists, so I always wonder what people refer to. Coldplay is pop under the blanket definition. But I bet a lot of Coldplay fans would be pissed off if you told them so.

Back