Over-Rated & Under-Rated Music Artists.

^I'm sure there's a difference in the general meaning of Pop...

Pop-Rock, Pop (as in bubblegum girl singers), Synth-Pop, etc. Metallica was more like Pop-Metal back in the mid-90's.

Meh, I think Metallica is kinda overrated. They're not that good anymore. They were at first, but not now... Hell, they're even getting thery're own Guitar Hero game. Why not bands like AC/DC and GnR? At least they still make good songs.

GnR was about at the same level of popularity as Metallica was in their golden years, and I wouldn't be surprised if GnR or AC/DC is next in line to have their own GH game (especially AC/DC). AC/DC also, is far more popular than Metallica is.

I wouldn't really say Metallica is over-rated, their fans & the media is the problem. Metallica was at the popularity they deserved to be at in their younger years, but now... now the fans are hyping their new albums up way too much, and when the new releases don't live up to expectations... Metallica gets hit, hard, really hard.

Over-Rated

Fall Out Boy: Just another boy band with a huge fangirl base. All of their songs are really uninteresting, in my opinion, and their fans are largely annoying.

Brawny said:
I don't know what it is about all the recommended ones. They're either a bit too synth-heavy...or are just missing something.

A lot of Ayu's popularity isn't necessarily her singing ability but her sheer entertainment factor. All these videos I'm watching are quite boring and the audience isn't into it at all.

Hers seem to be more athemic (word?) than the others, I guess.

I'd say it depends on the audience, and what the singer is doing. Ayumi's main fanbase is of over-excited girls who admire her sheer beauty and scream alot when they see her.

Ayumi Hamasaki is a Singer & Performer, she always pulls large performances thus aiding in a more excited audience (Similar to KISS without the blood & Britney Spears). As opposed to the others who just go on stage and "sing", without any dramatic on-stage theatrics.

I assure you, if Yoko Oginome had large explosions on her stage, outrageous outfits, and other dramatic stuff.. her audience would have more excited expressions on their faces and would be jumping up and down.

Brawny said:
What are examples of songs where the vocals are bad and nasal? I'll admit I don't listen to much stuff before 2002 or so.

I prefer Ayu's debut album that was in the 90's, a groovy album, that was very pleasing listen to. You compare her current works to her 90's album, and you'll notice a very large difference.

Ayumi's voice gets nasally whenever she goes for high notes (it's easy to spot), and when going for her ballads her voice tends to break and it sounds like she's gasping for air.. Here's some vids:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy8mosjQKv8[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9Dag-ZZ0Ic[/ame]
Ayumi has great emotion, but her voice isn't very well suited for ballads. On the plus side, she does atleast write most if not all of her lyrics.

Last edited:
Fair enough. But I still think there was an unspoken genre within pop that specifically meant dance-ish bubblegum artists, so I always wonder what people refer to. Coldplay is pop under the blanket definition. But I bet a lot of Coldplay fans would be pissed off if you told them so.

Yeah I know exactly what genre you are talking about, but I think each decade pretty much had their own unique genre of pop.

It really is an odd term though, since many popular bands are not considered pop by most people.

I'd say pop is the kind of music that people will be listening on the radio as (insert decade here) music.

I prefer Ayu's debut album that was in the 90's, a groovy album, that was very pleasing listen to. You compare her current works to her 90's album, and you'll notice a very large difference

Ayumi's voice gets nasally whenever she goes for high notes (it's easy to spot), and when going for her ballads her voice tends to break and it sounds like she's gasping for air.. Here's some vids:
Ayumi has great emotion, but her voice isn't very well suited for ballads. On the plus side, she does atleast write most if not all of her lyrics.

Definitely agree on those two videos. I have to say it's much much better in recent years when she sings them over again.

I like a lot of the ballads over the others...

I like that their lyrics aren't all about sex and crap that's so prevalent in ours.

Aaand out of the Jpop thread and into the regularpop one:

I consider anything that my sister listens to "pop"...which is short for popular.

Overrated by me and underrated by everyone else:
Dream Theater
One of my favorite bands of all time. Extremely talented group of musicians.

Fall Out Boy: Just another boy band with a huge fangirl base. All of their songs are really uninteresting, in my opinion, and their fans are largely emo.

fix'd.

I've been looking up a few new/amateur artists/bands, and found a few really good ones.

Project 86
http://www.myspace.com/project86

Brett Lieberman
http://www.myspace.com/brettlieberman

Rachel Furolo
http://www.myspace.com/rachelfurolo

I'm thinking about getting one of Project 86's albums, they're a really good band.

Under-Rated

Ambient Artists: It's going to be a very long time until the Ambient genre hits mainstream, but.. it's getting there alittle bit, ambient Jazz was pretty damn mainstream however back in the old days (40's and back).

:lol:

I like that their lyrics aren't all about sex and crap that's so prevalent in ours.

I agree, it's nice to see that all the Japanese female artists don't feel the need to perform booty shaking solos, or doggystyle humping dances (with the exception of a handful, such as Namie Amuro's current act). The constant drowning of sexual lyrics with so much swearing, is really getting old. I'm curious as to how the music will change shortly after 2010.. (assuming the music industry follows past era changes)

Yoko's just cheesy sounding. xD
Power + Asian = unsexy

Yeah, Ms. Oginome was cheesy back then, but you have to keep in mind.. It was acceptable in the 80's. :)

Oh and, I'm gonna just requote you on this...
Brawny said:
All these videos I'm watching are quite boring and the audience isn't into it at all.

You're telling me that the audience isn't getting into this performance?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ng4bw4m7Cg[/ame]
They're all full of smiles, throwing their arms, and jumping up and down. :lol:

Yoko dances better when she does her cross-dressing routine of oversized boy clothes, and breaking down some Michael Jackson dance moves.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUk95RfcERs&feature=related[/ame]

3:08

Oh, and she has the best guitarist by far. Of the female artists, anyway.

Oh, and she has the best guitarist by far. Of the female artists, anyway.

Crowd reaction looks about the same, and Ayu's stage setup is still more dramatic than Yoko's. :p

To each his own, as they say.

Also, I know I've seen that guitarist perform with other high-profile JPop stars, including Utada Hikaru in her live DVD. He's really good... but I don't know his name.

Yoshio Nomura

He's a lot better than the songs let him be. Also too much distortion. :p

edit:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlMCgJQDuuk[/ame]

I really need to start learning Japanese hardcore.

edit2: I re-watched it, and I orgasmed at the les paul. Just to let everyone know.

Last edited:
Yoshio Nomura

He's a lot better than the songs let him be. Also too much distortion. :p

Ah, thanks. Looked at his band's website (Rider Chips).. and, they're wearing Super Hero masks. :p

I'll be checking out this band though, regardless of their questionable attire.

EDIT: Very nice solo, thanks for that one. :)

Under-Rated

Ambient Artists: It's going to be a very long time until the Ambient genre hits mainstream, but.. it's getting there alittle bit, ambient Jazz was pretty damn mainstream however back in the old days (40's and back).
Couldn't agree more, although I'm not sure it will ever be mainstream. But I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates ambient.

This is a Finnish band who got their name from a viking god "Turisas" They're are dressed up like Vikings and they use instruments you wouldn't find in most metal bands, like an electric violin or an accordion. They made their own genre called "Battle Metal" and they have a song with that same name. This song is called Rasputin.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfEJ2DSmRbE[/ame]

This is another Finnish Metal band called Lordi. They don't dress up like vikings but they do dress like monsters. They are much better live then Turisas. This song is called Blood Red Sandman.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3Qrg5VTdNc&feature=channel_page[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Any pop band/singer is over rated (In my opinion) especially the f^cking Jonas Brothers

The most Under rated band I can think of right now is CKY (Camp Kill yourself) they are a good group who definantley don't have as many fans as they deserve. My favorite song by CKY is "96 Quite Bitter Beings"

Turisas is another band that should have many more bands. They are a finish viking band and they made their own genre called "Battle Metal." They do indeed dress as Vikings during their live shows and their named after some Viking band. It's not a normal band with just guitars, drums, bass and a sing, they use many other instrument like an electric violin or an accordion, and they sound f^cking awesome. If you're going to check them out, I suggest you listen to their song "Rasputin" first. And yes, that is the electric violin at the beginning.

I have seen Turisas live and it was the best gig ive ever been to. :D
Everyone was dressed up as warriors and stuff.
Far too good :)

Meh, I think Metallica is kinda overrated. They're not that good anymore. They were at first, but not now... Hell, they're even getting thery're own Guitar Hero game. Why not bands like AC/DC and GnR? At least they still make good songs.

Second!

Back