Overheating?

Blue Sun

WiiChat Member
Dec 24, 2006
Australia
I've been playing alot of Gears of War lately, and I've noticed that the 360 is running very, very hot. Is this a bad thing, is the red ring of death just around the corner?

Is there any way to improve cooling (excluding buying an intercooler - I heard they have wrecked some consoles)?

Cheers.

well it is believed that the red ring is due to the seals or solders of the main chip burning up and melting the wrong way, no one knows really what causes it and microsoft wont tell. i suggest you buy one of those fans that clip on the back, it might help it a bit, it is normally really hot, which bothers me too. check these out maybe you can get some use out of em, click them to see details from amazon, and more pics..

this one also comes in black for the elite system

u cant use both because the air has to flow out somewhere, personally I like the first one alot better because the air will flow out the back of the console as it normally should the second one is for if you console lays on its side, hope this helps, good luck

edit, i see the first one requires an adapter, which is pretty annoying but if you like your console stood up it looks to be a pretty good cooler

Last edited:
thats an intnercooler, he said he didnt want one and im with him on this one. ive heard bad things about them.

move your console to the basement, their usually cold, if thats not possible/not the case then i dont know what to tell you. am a fan at it?

SensesFail said:
thats an intnercooler, he said he didnt want one and im with him on this one. ive heard bad things about them.

move your console to the basement, their usually cold, if thats not possible/not the case then i dont know what to tell you. am a fan at it?

hmm i thought he meant the cooler mods that go inside your console, because ive heard they short out ur xbox from bad solder jobs, my bad

Any Cooler Installed on/into a Xbox360 will void your warranty.....so see that Nyko one? that will void your warranty with MS. So MS won't take your Xbox360 if it is broken or RROD. Be careful what you Cooler you select, My Friend has that Nyko one on his black 360....Nyko Ex......Gets the job done but void your warranty lol

Pikachu256 said:
Any Cooler Installed on/into a Xbox360 will void your warranty.....so see that Nyko one? that will void your warranty with MS. So MS won't take your Xbox360 if it is broken or RROD. Be careful what you Cooler you select, My Friend has that Nyko one on his black 360....Nyko Ex......Gets the job done but void your warranty lol
you could not be more wrong... as long as you dont physicly open the console they WILL take it back. even if you open it they still might replace it (they did for me :smilewinkgrin:.

anyways i would suggest the fan stand thing if you dont want the intercooler. seeing as how it is blowing air directly onto the heatsinks it should help keep it cool

I bought a black fan from the same shop that sold me my Elite, in fact they recommended it. My warranty is with the same company, so if i gives me problems, they can sort it. I've said it before and i'll say it again, PURCHASE AN EXTENDED WARRANTY. I hope everything goes well for you with it though 'blue sun'.

Mitch2025 said:
you could not be more wrong... as long as you dont physicly open the console they WILL take it back. even if you open it they still might replace it (they did for me :smilewinkgrin:.

anyways i would suggest the fan stand thing if you dont want the intercooler. seeing as how it is blowing air directly onto the heatsinks it should help keep it cool

Actually...
http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/27/nyko-intercooler-scorches-xbox-360-consoles/

It was noted that the Intercooler can even elicit "brown discoloration" around the system's AC input before users are faced with the ominous red ring, and if this tale-tell sign is witnessed by RMA processors, your return becomes null and void for using an "unlicensed peripheral."

So don't use the Nyko one, though i've heard they've changed the design so it doesn't make the scorch marks.

Last edited:
Krusnik said:
Actually...
http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/27/nyko-intercooler-scorches-xbox-360-consoles/

So don't use the Nyko one, though i've heard they've changed the design so it doesn't make the scorch marks.

yes the new one is the nyko intercooler EX, the difference is the part that attaches to your xbox is made out of metal, not plastic so it will not make a funny smell or melt
212uViBgc9L._SS500_.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys. I've currently got it elevated a little bit just to allow some airflow underneath the console.

I've got the 360 in an entertainment unit, the hot air can escape from the back, but there isn't a huge amount of ventilation. Hopefully i should be right - at least it has a 3 year warranty.

Thanks again.

yeah i noticed my 360 getting very hot during gears so i bought a cooling fan. it seems to be doing the job. i bought the nyko intercooler EX

Back