Parents and the Wii

Borch712ers

Deleted
Jan 1, 2007
I DO NOT have a Wii yet, and have a question:

Niether of my parents have EVER played any videogames. My dad thinks that they are a waste of time and my mom gets dizzy very easily (like, if we do more than a 90 degree turn in a car she gets a headache, so in a videogame if it is a fps and you turn more than a 90 degree turn (to look to the side) than she will get dizzy).
I know that the point of the wii was to get new gamers to start and old gamers to re-start, but my parents never were gamers. I would really like them to get into the wii, i think it would be cool, but I am highly doubting it. Both of them used to play golf, but dont have as much time anymore and recently quit, and I play as well.
I was going to buy Tiger Woods 07 and try to get them into that game. My mom also likes sudoku, and I heard a while back about some rumors about a sudoku, (or a multiple puzzle) game. My dad is into basically all sports as well, so I was hoping that after a few hours of wii sports he might come around to it, and then I might get NBA Live 07/whatever baseball franchise is coming to Wii/Madden 07

Do you think I have any hope? Have any of your non-gamer/gamer parents come around to the Wii?

Feel free to answer my questions or just post stories of your parents wii-gaming experiences in this thread. Thanks to everyone in advance!

My parents love to play wii. All my dad ever wants to do is vs me and my brother in baseball always trying to beat us (does real good). My mom loves to play tennis and bowling. they really get into it.

before the wii, my mom only played solitare on the PC. on the other hand, my dad was a bit more avid. He used to play arcade games and first person shooters like Doom on the PC

So, yeah they should get into it, all my friend's parents love to play Wiisports and my one friend's dad always likes to play red steel and COD3. but thats just them, i dunno about your parents. a lot of people become interested and others dont want anything to do with it. it all depends on what they think.

My dad has played Wii Sports and Excite Truck once or twice. He wasn't too great at either. My mom just refuses to play video games and thinks they're a waste of time (too bad she can't see how much of a waste of time tons of other stuff she does is, but you can't wish for everything..).

I guess I'm not too surprised, both of my parents were in their 30's before the first even half decent video game systems came out...

Both my parents hated games but after a few sessions on Wii sports they are always asking me for a game of bowling or tennis

my mum is hooked on bowling ( and she never plays on consoles )

my dad always has loved consoles and he is hooked on everything on wii sports, red steel but not zelda

+ on my ps2 he loves chopping people up with the chainsaw on gta san andreas ( its kinda disturbing cause hes a cop lol )

My parents never give anything a ****ing chance! My dad dosnt care for games much...and he even played wii sports...ONCE! My mom thinks games are kids toys and just ignores me whenever I ask her if she wants to try (*****)!!! My life is kind of....... revolved around games....and it really pisses me off when my parents ignore what I like and just want me to get into other things instead!

it really dpends on your parents, and their ability to change,

because even though its entertaining, games on the wii are still "pointless" in some peoples eyes, and no matter what type of controller youv got, your mum will still get dizzy/headaches when playing the game, that has nothing to do with enjoyment, its actually a physical thing.

same my parents never play any games in their entire life (cuz we r chinese) but
MY DAD loves to play bowling
and my MOM loves to play tennis.
LOL and they own at it too. We got PRO (1000 skill points) in 1 day LOL.

my dad loves wii sports, he hasnt tried any other games yet, but thats because he wouldnt have time.

My mum loves WACHING us play wii sports (mainly tennis) and has tried once, but she faild terribly lol. however she said shell try n learn soon. but either of them are "gamers" lol.

I think your parents have a chance, dont forget they havnent actually seen how wii works, its completely different to what they think it is. no harm in tryin right?

Your parents are going to love it no matter what. My dad and mom Hates video games and only my dad just buys it. Right after i bought the wii my dad and mom was playing bolwing 24/7. Even when im at school my dad plays the wii. I know because wii sports is always inside after i come back from school and he even keeps playing when i come. So ya, its pretty much that your parents will play.

My parents had video game systems before I was born. They had Intellivision and Atari systems. (I'm 22 now).

My dad liked them and used to play them with me when I was a kid (NES Wheel of Fortune). My mom, not so much.

When I got the PS2, my dad played Madden 01 with me and smoked me -- and he never picked up a Playstation controller before that!

I've since lost my dad so he never got to try the Wii, but my mom has played the Wii with me -- Wii Sports (bowling and tennis). She liked it. She wanted to try it.

The funny thing is that I'm graduating college this semester... Last semester, I went to preorder my Wii, I had my eyes on it for two years -- I preordered it, told my mom about it, and brought it to her place over winter break... She watched me play Zelda and Wii Sports and Trauma Center and said, "You mean you have to play like that?!? Doesn't that get tiring?" I thought she knew they had motion sensitive controls, so I told her, "I thought you knew they had motion sensitive controls. And no, it doesn't get tiring unless you get aggressive in Wii Sports." After that, she played me in Wii Sports. She did pretty well, and had fun.

Thanks for your posotive responses everyone, Keep them coming!

Oh, and SuperH, Im sorry about your loss...

Back