Pay to Play? (GameStop)

Pegasus

WiiChat Member
Nov 17, 2007
At GameStop, do you have to pay to play on Wiis set up there for customers to try? I heard that $5 gets you 2 hrs, is this true? I want a Wii but have never played one :frown2:

hellllllllllnooooo...i played the wii setup at my gamestop/ebgames for liek 30 minutes, thats insane..stupid to have to pay to play..i highly doubt thats true unless they changed the rule

You don't have to pay, but you have to give them your state ID so if you run away with the wii-mote they know who you are.

most gamestops require a picture ID and/or Credit Card. but yeah, its free. the one by me just has the wii-mote/nunchuck sitting there on the wii stand. suprised no ones jacked it yet! lol (maybe it was only for the galaxy demo)

all of them around me dont have any controllers out.

you dont have to pay...u just have to give them yor licence and they will give yu the remote to play...just for security purposes

Gamestop pulls in billions of dollars a year to run hole in a wall shops. They let you demo games for free, and offer free info. Such as how to avoid the red ring of doom.

Last edited:
Some gamestops have new stations were the wii remote and nunchuck are attached to the unit and run the power off that cord. So no I.D. needed or dead batteries.

As Clarke said, the ones around here now have the Wiimote and Nunchuk teathered to the system by non-removable power cords.

Previously I had to give them my drivers license to check out a wiimote, but never any money.

Yea the only ones I've seen have tethered controllers.

Now I would just like to see Wal-Mart, Target, BestBuy, etc get those tethered controllers so I can check out new games (other then mario) when they come out. Thats typically how I buy new games.

To play the Wii at Gamestop is 100% free. If they are claiming to charge you money to play then that is the employee trying to make an extra buck off of you. Every Wii demo stand should have the Wiimote and Nunchuk tied into the stand so you can only stand about 2-3 feet away from the demo. Also Wal-Mart, Target, and Bust Buy already have the demo stands but, of course, they are only demoing Mario Galaxy because that will be the Wii holiday seller.

Here is a thought, how awesome would it be that if you were to collect all 120 stars within SMG and maybe max out the coin score on all the stages you would unlock a 2-5 min demo of Smash Bros Brawl. It just came to me when I was playing SMG. I know that it is highly unlikely that it will happen.

sagema said:
Gamestop pulls in billions of dollars a year to run hole in a wall shops. They let you demo games for free, and offer free info. Such as how to avoid the red ring of doom.

What is the Red Ring of Doom?

Back