PC to Xbox live help

Eddienoteddy

mii love wii
Feb 13, 2007
CT
Wii Online Code
1656-4947-1080-8284
I have a desktop computer in my room alongside my Xbox 360. I have the internet on my desktop via a Netgear USB adapter.

so my question is, how can i use my desktop as a router to play my Xbox on Live, i know it can be done I just cant figure it out

help please

The following is the best way.

Cable Jack on Wall
|
Cable Modem
|
Router
/ \
/ \
PC Console
(hmm, dang post won't keep the multiple spaces I put into the diagram)

Why are you using a USB network adapter? Doesn't your PC have an ethernet jack? Usually the jack is builtin to the motherboard (close by the USB/Keyboard jacks) or has an expansion card version. USB ethernet tends to lag badly.

Do you have a home router? If not, you're playing a dangerous game with hackers being able to easily gain access to your network. Windows' Firewall isn't good enough to protect you.

Are you planning on using the 360's builtin ethernet jack or are you thinking of going wireless in the future (even though not right now)? If wireless in the future, get a router with both 4 ethernet ports and WiFi.

Not knowing what you have, I suggest you go to the local store and get a Linksys WRT54G router (course others will suggest whatever they've used, I have had to deal with all brands). Then connect as the diagram above shows.

I don't like "going through" a Windows PC for shared Internet. Yes it can be done by using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) but then yor PC has to be on all the time, it's a bottle neck for the other PC, etc.

Also, if you want to do the ICS router, your PC must have TWO network adapters. You have one (your USB dongle) so you'll either need to find out if your PC already has an ethernet port or go buy another USB version or a card version.

If you get a wireless router, make sure you disable the WiFi until you're going to use it.

Last edited:
my router is downstairs, and my PC is upstairs so in order to not run wires all thru the house i bought a Netgear USB wireless adapter

i'm just gonna stick to playing on Live downstairs on my TV near the router

its just that i dont want to run wires upstairs to do the direct connection

Since you're running wireless, you could buy a 360 wireless adapter. Yea it's $99us, but then you won't have to worry about going through your PC.

On top of that, you'll be able to get online no matter where in the house your 360 is.

If you don't want to spend the money and your PC does have a wired ethernet cable, you can go the router of ICS. Simply plug your 360 into the PC's jack and run the "add network" wizard.

yeah i'll either man up and buy the wireless adapter or try the ICS thing, thanks for all the help

hey Frummage can i join the WFC?

i use him in every game possible, he needs to be in SSBB

Eddienoteddy said:
hey Frummage can i join the WFC?

i use him in every game possible, he needs to be in SSBB
Sure!

Add to your sig:

-=Join the Waluigi Fan Club (WFC)=-

Anyone else who wants to join can just PM me

Back