Philosophy

linkzeldagame said:
I find what happens on a universal scale must also happen on a microscopial scale. The bigger world recurs into a smaller and smaller world with seemingly infinite boundaries.

Look at Jupiter's 'red spot'. Look at the ripples it forms surrounding it. Doesn't it look familiar on a common every day scale with rivers and oceans and clouds? If the scientists can theorise ****, then if they can't replicate it on a microscopial scale, regardless of conditions then that means their theory has the potential to fail...

String theory or M theory kind of switches the logic stated here around. To prove its theories requires scientists to be able to validate it on a universal scale, which is plain ridiculous IMO. So the theory kind of is like the proverbial donkey following a carrot he can never reach...

I'm not so sure universal and microscopic scales are so alike. When you get to small enough scales you start noticing all sorts of weird quantum mechanical effects, such the Uncertainty Principle (you can't know exactly the position and velocity of a particle at the same time). On the other hand, the force of gravity at the microscopic level is so small it's just ignored. So it's basically different rules for different scales. Which relates to what you said about string theory and M theory- that's physicists' attempts to try and unify it all. The Problem with them is (aside from the unbelievably complicated equations :D) there's currently no way to test those theories, so it's impossible to say if they're good ideas or not. Notably, if they are true then it's quite possible that parallel universes could exist beyond this one- a philosophical bombshell if there was one.

Parallel universes...that is a fun topic to discuss. I think that there are infinite amounts of dimensions existing around this world. In some dimensions, the rules we live by here cannot possibly exist. The universe that we exist in right now, is supposedly infinite, right? But the rules that we exist by on Earth would be the same for every other world in this particuliar universe, besides changes in chemicals and whatnot. Basically what I am saying is that a triangle on earth will be the same as a triangle on Planet x. It would perhaps go by a different name, but it's a triangle nonetheless. Up is up, down is down.
I stated above that alternate realitys can be infinite. There can be another world exactly like ours, except that maybe a single blade of grass is turned another way, or something bigger, like the Golden Gate bridge is blue. Do ya'll get it?
I once saw an artist's rendering of how he imagined the alternate dimensions could co-exist together. Imagine a blue sphere, then zoom out a little and imagine more blue spheres. Zoom out farther and you'll see that all the smaller spheres are encased in another sphere. And so on and so forth.
I haven't been able to get this particular image out of my head for several years now.

jssmrkingrevenge said:
Mathematic dimentions of reality, triangles, circles, and spirals:wink: elipses and eclipses, planets, galaxies, humans, animals, consciousness, unconsciousness, sleep. death. life. budhism, judaism, and catholicism. MUSIC. ART. Hippies.:cool: :yesnod: hopes dreams ideas beliefs facts theories hypothesi Philosophy Psychology Astronomy Geology Biology Phisiology Chemistry Alchemy even Physics Mathematics

My theory:

During the earth's formation, an icy comet (most likely) collided with our forming planet traveling straight through bursting out the other side coming into orbit slightly changing the orientation of the axis of the earth putting is spinning on a tilt (key component) and over time gravity pulled the floating debris and gasses still surrounding our young planet in (most of it coming to rest on one side and clumping where the comet burst through creating what some might call pangea and the orbiting asteroid, you guessed it, the moon, the last key, as with the tilt in axis, to the formation of life. The abundance of Hydrogen on our planet is the remenance of the icy comet and another factor in the spark of life. Anyways, to the point: if this is true then what does it say for the meaning of life? Well it says a lot. I don't know if this would qualify as quantum physics or what but I have a faulty theory that I'd like to share. OK. So, fact: electrons orbit around a proton/neutron based nucleus. Zoom in, what I believe now is accepted fact is that particles called quarks orbit around a smaller nucleus of quarks which I don't remember whether they have positive and negative charges, most likely, but undoubtedly carry energy no? Zoom out again as I brin up chemical reactions and mellecular bonding and fusion and the exchange of electrons and particles and energies. I'd say that any object with an orbiting "electron" (for lack of a better term) has an energy that can be broken down and used in a variety of different ways fusion being one of the ways, as seen in stars. Planets obviously hold different properties than stars and therefore must have different ways of using energy. Back to the colission between said comet and earth; if a comet hit earth and started orbiting would it create a new "energy" or "force" or yeah (do you get what I mean? no? sh*t.) Chemist have proven that by applying electric pulses to certain elements known to be present in the early stages of earths formation, that amino acids can be formed and cell-like formations with hydrogen-based membrane could be seen(the electric pulses were to recreate lightning likely caused by massive storms that would be enveloping the globe as it cooled down) I don't remember the scientist's name or the experiment but I'm pretty darn sure I know what I'm talking about. Lets call this the planet using its energy. Now having a little faith here, and thats calling it faith I believe the universe is ultimately connected and if everything happens fo a reason then we are here for a universal purpose and will be here until we have carried that purpose out. Not getting into the infinite complexities of what the purpose might be or how we migh carry it out, we just have to have faith that things will work themselves out and whatever we do in our lives be it concieving another human being or buying a Wii there is purpose in it.

to put it short, do well with what little time you have here because you have one chance; right now. And thats it. I've seen a sig around with a quote from Gandhi "What you do may seem insignificant but it is most important that you do it."

And thats all I have to say about that... for now... yea

I'm wishing I had a cigarette... damn.

Goodnight wiichat.

not to be rude but where did the icy comet come from? come to think of it where did gravity come from?? there ahs to be a creator behind all this surley??

$?wii?$ said:
not to be rude but where did the icy comet come from? come to think of it where did gravity come from?? there ahs to be a creator behind all this surley??

Comets are like leftovers from the Solar System's formation. They're mostly found in the outer Solar System, but sometimes their orbits might take them near Earth (and occasionally they do hit it). I should point out though, most physicists think a planet-sized object, not a comet, hit the Earth to create the Moon.

Gravity is a force of attraction between two objects. Every object causes a curvature in the space-time continuum because of its mass, and another object nearby will tend to fall into this curve. Gravity is only noticeable for large objects though.

As for a creator, I don't have a clue...

Yeah the creator theory has yet to be disproved. If it was proved, then it begets another question:

"Who created the Creator?"

Similar to the String theory logic I mentioned earlier.
Speaking about quantum physics observations on an atomic scale, I agree with you - uncertainty does seem to rule the quantum universe. I remember reading somewhere that quantum physicists discovered 50 years ago that thoeretically, a cup of energy in 'subspace' could boil the oceans off the Earth.

hahahah. really? so what happened then when their was a time before the creater? did he just show up? its obserd becuse people dont like the idea of the universe being created from nothing, so we justify it by thinking something created it. But what created the thing that created the universe.

Surly thier must have been a point when he was created. Im sure time dident exist forever... At some point a voice was found, and it shouted into void of nothing, creating "something" and thus the word was born.

Why does the universe have to be created, cant it just be? or maybe god is the universe itself... When the universe was created, god was born , and then one must ask who gave burth to god? well thats easy... It was the empty nothingness. Or maybe god exploded and that was the big bang, and we are living on the corps of god.

Or maybe we never existed in the first place, thus ruling out the theory of the creator, who then created a creator and so on.

What you said begets another question: How can god just appear out of nowhere. The whole dilemma/confusion of god being born of nothingness is one of the most confusing and elusive questions and throughout in history, many relgious teachers and philosophers have tried to answer the question, which inevitably led nowhere. In religious texts they have tried to answer the question mentioned here but their solution often was one of duality. Many scientists nowdays kind of believe in the concept of the big bang but don't look at how the whole damn thing was created in the first place. Only the processes that started since the explosion.

Many religions have the concept of one into two thought out. Take the concept from the bible. Adam was the first man. Then Eve was from Adam. So two from one and hereforth was born the concept of duality.

Our existence, is an an infinite loop starting when a mind becomes aware of itself. We are a thought of a thought of a thought. Every time we make a decision an alternate reality is created (supposedly, as there is no way to prove it) and every time we think a thought, infinite dimentions open and close upon the one moment that we remember. Our memories and (collectively) our consciousness in this world are merely the shell keeping us from opening a door to a world where there truly are no rules. what. so. ever.

Well, infinite parallel universes were the concept behind the novel Timeline by Michael Crichton, and it certainly raises a lot of questions. I enjoyed the book.

I will offer that it has been proven that a system cannot fully explain itself.

Also, as I understand it, our universe is supposedly finite.

I started a Philosophy Club at my school, and we've got about 25-30 members now.

If you're really interested in it, talk with your principal about starting a club. 'Tis a lot of fun.

'learn from yesterday, survive for today, hope for tommorow...' i dont know why but i just felt like posting this!! :crazy:

I refuse to let this thread die.

If God created this world, then this means that God would not be of this world, which would then make him/her/it alien.

Shade said:
I refuse to let this thread die.

If God created this world, then this means that God would not be of this world, which would then make him/her/it alien.
God doesn't exist., read this short passage.

1. The creation of the word is the most marvellous achievement imaginable.

2. the merit of an achievement is the product of (a) its intrinsic quality, and (b) the ability of its creator.

3. the greater the disibility (or handicap) of the creator, the more impressive the achievement.

4. The most formidable handicap for a creator would be non-existence.

5. Therefore if we suppose that the universe is the product of an existent creator we can conceive a greater being - namely, one who created everything while not exisiting.

6. An existing God therefore would not be a being greater than which a greater cannot be conveived becuase an even more formidable and incredible creater would be a God which did not exist.

Ergo:

7. God does not exist.

For me, i have no believe's, religion is a form of controlling the nation. it's the answer to questions that people don't understand, and it's got compleate control of things it should not have. What i do 'believe' in ( and i use that word loosely) is science, simply because, everything is proven. i can see why things are like that, i pick an apple up, i drop it, i see the effects of gravity. For me to 'believe' in something, i must first understand how it works. i don't just go, aah yes i see how the bridge holds up all thos cars, i have to understand how it holds them up. it makes more sense that listening to some guy preaching about something which happened yonks ago.

Back