Philosophy

Heyy, I've allways been interested in philosophy and have allways wanted to go deeper into the subject, could you tell me more on that book? Im quite interested in buying it

Gaz I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but it does sound like the proverbial chicken or egg - which one did come first? So that means if there is a creator, then who created the creator, and which creator came first? There is no definite answer to the question and one of the ways to answer as clearly as possible is to understand how everything works to the best of your knowledge.

I agree with you about the whole 'how the world works' philosophy. We have an understanding to a certain degree on how things function around us but we don't have complete knowledge because there too much information for an individual to learn in a lifetime.

Shade said:
Although I'm 15 I am NOT a child. The number of years you have been on this earth does not determine your age or maturity.

I agree with you on that. I am 16 years old and I feel the exact same way.

linkzeldagame said:
Gaz I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but it does sound like the proverbial chicken or egg - which one did come first? So that means if there is a creator, then who created the creator, and which creator came first? There is no definite answer to the question and one of the ways to answer as clearly as possible is to understand how everything works to the best of your knowledge.
The chicken and egg thing is just rubbish, there is an obvious answer, which i am clearly not going to state, as thats something compleatly different. there is no creater, if there is, why are we the only mamal that is advanced? religions don't agree with evoulution, but it is clear from scientific evidence that we have evoulved over the years, and become the superiour race.

surfinrach90 said:
Same here

Hmmm... I'm glad more than one person agrees with me.
This does not pertaindirectly to the subject of this thread, but does anyone know of any games that are philosophical/outside the box? I've heard "Eternal Darkness" and "Killer7" are good (or absoulutely crazy, I forget which).

"Perhaps we are whispers of a dream" (that kind of sounds like what linkzeldagame said a couple of posts ago)

I personally think that each religion is true unto itself. (for those of you who aren't smartical enough to understand that, oh well):aureola:

That is, if anything is true at all...[INSERT DYNAMIC MUSIC HERE]

Shade said:
Although I'm 15 I am NOT a child. The number of years you have been on this earth does not determine your age or maturity. So post anything and everything, as long as it's nothing as dangerous as politics:p

At last a meaty topic to get into and one which has spawned an enjoyable list of replies but I'd like to take a slant on the original posting by Shade.

I have quoted your text from the first post and seeing as you are obviously interested in the topic - may I....

Having read numerous works on philosophy; namely CG Jung & Freud; and existentialsim; Sartre - amongst others, whom I don't want to quote but will let their works shape my reply.

You make rather a bold statement regarding your years not determining age or maturity: I presume that you must believe in re-incarnation as most modern thinkers actually believe that knowledge cannot be attained without experience - and rounded descisions cannot preceed experience or knowledge and so 'maturity' is bourne out of this process, I mean after all you wouldn't let a 2 year old choose which car you should buy based on colour, rather than vfm, performance, reliability & budget....now we know this happens with much older people but let's stick the point...:D

I am not suggesting you are a child either - I know nothing about you, apart from you have very interesting bedside reading material and that is something that should be applauded in this day and age, hell we should all read as much as we can to expand our ideas and make judged descisions for ourselves. BUT do you also submit to the idea that there is a transition period that defines child and adult? The law decrees it's anywhere from 16 - 21 but I don't submit to this confirmity - it can't be so black and white as we all have slightly different conscious growth rates. Once the brain has learned conscious thinking then and only then can we grow into rounded individuals - what age this is is underterminable.

You've obviously read from the works of great thinkers - but to quote them in such a demonstrative fashion shows one of two traits with your conscious perception: 1) You subscribe to what has been written and as such form opinions based on what you've read wholeheartedly or 2) You were already thinking along the same lines.
Which you may or not agree with of course.

Now this is just an illustrative assumption, please don't take it that I am criticising you on any level but I am extending a philisophical ideal onto what you have written. It is a vignette to highlight the way your mind is being shaped by the experience of what you have read - so in effect the number of years we spend on this planet expanding our opinions and hence gaining experience does actually "determine our age or maturity"

Thanks for the opportunity to post about something apart from "Man I am sooooo stuck on level 3 dungeon".....Hope you enjoyed reading, I look forward to any replies

Last edited:
:D This is highly amusing. Not only have I been replied to directly, but I've also been evaluated!! In a a positive manner!!! Heh.:lol:
I'm glad that I could provide some "food for thought" for you.
As for that piece I posted, Socrates's "The Last Apology", I was already thinking along those lines when I first read it. I was actually flipping through a school textbook because I was bored. Looks like I'll be doing that a lot more often if I keep finding such interesting articles.:yesnod:

I don't believe in reincarnation back into this world. I think (or at least would like to think) that when you die you progress on toward another "plane of existence".

Although, thinking back, perhaps I was a bit bold...nothing wrong with that.
You have to be bold, at least a little bit to survive.

Alright, I'm bringing this thread back to the top...again.

Seeing as how there are probably new members who would be interested in this topic, I'd appreciate it if I'm not the only person who keeps this thing going.

Gaz said:
God doesn't exist., read this short passage.

1. The creation of the word is the most marvellous achievement imaginable.

7. God does not exist.

For me, i have no believe's, religion is a form of controlling the nation.

I have only quoted 'Gaz' out of convenience for this answer but don't you think; and this relates to all who hold religion as a fundamental belief system within the fabric of their everyday living; that the higher fundamental question is not that:

"Does a god exist?"

BUT

"What is it intrinsically that makes people feel they need to worship or believe in something that cannot be physically seen or touched?"

We associate religion with so many terms - spirituality, faith, practice, healing, worship, belief etc etc....that one without religion would look upon it as an actual routine based around some non-scientifically proven belief, with what is essentially a guide delivered dogmatically and is manifested in the various "bibles" accompanying each religion.

This [higher] emotion is very strong in many many people around the world of course but do you think that the feeling is a collective experience or an individual one? [Do all believers feel the same way]

Is god purely a belief [can't see or touch] or truly a feeling based on empiricism [is there really someone channeling through from some higher level]

In an age where we as a collective species, aim to destroy the planet we live on, eat all the animals and kill as many of our own as we can through needless violence and financial greed - not forgetting all the wars waged in the name of "god" of course - then is it not a given that some people do need something to believe in along the way - something they can tailor to their own needs and deem accountable to, because politicians and leaders of our own certainly can't do that....can they? :worship:

Last edited:
Islam, and the Qur'an are the only source of how i should live my life for me. I believe all its contents, about life, death and life after death. Obviously it contains some philosophy, so i thought id bring it up.

I generally feel socrates and other people like hm develop their own "religion" almost. The things thy come up with make you think alot, and i am quite interested in philosophical quotes and such, however i believe the Qur'an is the ultimate source of knowledge and philosophy.

Back