picture is cropped - newbie

sluggg

WiiChat Member
Jan 8, 2008
i initially had my wii hooked up to a vizio 32(?) inch HDTV and i am now back at college and have it hooked up to a smaller SDTV but the TV is not displaying the full picture..

i have gone to the wii settings menu and switched from Widescreen(16:9) to Standard(4:3) but i am still having the same problem.

this is my first post and i tried to search under the troubleshooting sticky but could not find anything, so i apologize if this has been posted before.

thanks.

Do you notice this problem even when navigating the wii menus, or is it just the gameplay?

at all times..every game (SMG, Zelda TP, Sports) and even the Wii menu

the TV is maybe 3 years old, a regular SDTV

do i need to format the memory?

when you say cropped do you mean its in widescreen or are there actual chunks of the image missing?

there is image that is not being displayed on the actual screen... the arrows on the Wii Sports start screen are going off the screen by a little bit (if that helps explain better)

maybe this will help explain better... the single lines (running north to south) represent the tv screen and the doubled lines (running north to south) are the output image from the wii console

||....|................|....||

the whole image is not showing up on the screen, but it is still there.. i can move the cursor over to these parts and i can move there doing the Screen Adjustment.. basically i am zoomed in too far and there are no settings i can find on the TV to fix this

Last edited:
Ah sorry theres no way to stretch/reduce the screen on the wii itself, though some games have this under options (i think) are you sure theres no option on the tv? Have you lost the remote for it or something, because stuff like that is usually handled on the TV remote

so does everyone who uses a wii on a SDTV have this problem?

it's a normal toshiba tv.. pretty nice actually DVD VCR combo and looks slick

it has nothing to do with me using an widescreen HDTV when setting it up?

sluggg said:
i initially had my wii hooked up to a vizio 32(?) inch HDTV and i am now back at college and have it hooked up to a smaller SDTV but the TV is not displaying the full picture..

i have gone to the wii settings menu and switched from Widescreen(16:9) to Standard(4:3) but i am still having the same problem.

this is my first post and i tried to search under the troubleshooting sticky but could not find anything, so i apologize if this has been posted before.

thanks.
Here is a possible fix. Go to your wii settings and switch it from 480p to 480i. Because you have moved back to a standard def TV from a HDTV you need to set the settingings back to 480i...problem solved. I hope. Good luck.

Back