Piracy hurting handheld consoles?

mister kat

WiiChat Member
Oct 26, 2009
Wii Online Code
8349-9639-4470-0778
Hey Community,

I was just wondering if you agree. I have been debating with my uncles (who own videogame retail stores) that in an increasing amount of piracy, it will be hurting the sales of software but help increase in console units. Do you agree? I mean with the PSP being modded and games able to be downloaded, it increases the sales of the PSP just because games are available for download. As for the NDS series, R4s are available. By this, is it not logical to think that sales of console units will increase because of this? I also predicted that soon Nintendo will cut off cartridges and make all software only available by download through the Nintendo Store. what are your thoughts?

Only cheap skates buy a console and just pirate there games with never buying any.

It did help the PSone in its early days

But on the downside. It dose effect sales of games.

But the PSPGo is downloaded games only and that effects retailers (some refuse to sell it)

But if your games get pirated too much, you don't get enough profit from sales to fund more development. So you stop making games. Now there are less games available to pirate (or buy) and so less of a reason to get the hardware in the first place, resulting in the death of the particular console or handheld.

But if your games get pirated too much, you don't get enough profit from sales to fund more development. So you stop making games. Now there are less games available to pirate (or buy) and so less of a reason to get the hardware in the first place, resulting in the death of the particular console or handheld.

It worked for the PSone
But it did effect the Dreamcast

Nothing good comes from pirating games. Nothing. Your taking money out of the hands of the developers, which hurts gamers in the long run. If your going to pay the 200+ dollars it takes to buy a system, you might as well pay the cost of the games.

Back