Pirates rule the Philipines

• Thread starter The_Loose_Cannon
  • Start date
T

The_Loose_Cannon

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/05/14/pirates-rule-the-philippine-seas/

this article is a few months old but i stumbled upon it trying to find online cheap websites for nintendo wii games. i thought id share this with the rest of you guys......if my bfs parents ever go back to the philipines, they may be making a quick stop for me......
hiding.gif

Pirates rule the Philippine seas
Posted May 14th 2007 8:00PM by Eric Caoili
Filed under: News, Imports

After a tour of the country last year, Indian President Abdul Kalam described the Philippines as a "smiling republic." Wherever he went, Kalam was met with smiling faces. Well, you'd be grinning too if you saw how cheap their games are. Thanks to the black market, popular Nintendo Wii titles are priced as low as $5 in some shops. Piracy has become so widespread in the Southeast Asian country, even Sony admits that most of its Playstation software sold in the Philippines are bootlegged copies.

Filipino site GameOPS found that many stores also offer modchip installations. For about $51, you can have your system hacked to play these counterfeit games at the local mall or market. Furthermore, some shops advertise console bundles, selling imported and modded US Wiis with five copied games of your choice for around $450. Similar deals for chipped Xbox 360 systems with 10 pirated titles are actually cheaper at $388.

With such a high level of piracy already in place, Nintendo will have a lot to work against when -- or if -- it decides to finally launch the Wii in the Philippines.

Thanks for sharing.
I wouldn't mind buying those games for $5.
Any chance they would look better than they do now :lol:

Yarr. Where the world is still in the angles.

Wow, $5 is a great deal. But doesn't Pirated games mean like fake/copied games? You probably need a modded system to play em. And what about the region codes? Is it the same as America?

LilWiiWii said:
Wow, $5 is a great deal. But doesn't Pirated games mean like fake/copied games? You probably need a modded system to play em. And what about the region codes? Is it the same as America?

well according to the article there are places in the phillipines that mod your system out and allow you to play whatever games possible from any region for the wii.

and yes pirated means fake

Back