Play *ANY* Wii Game Online

pclapham

Paul Clapham
Dec 9, 2006
Christchurch, New Zealand
This would require some smart programming, but you could use a PC with:

- Bluetooth Dongle (or built in)
- Broadband

- Bluetooth Re-Direction software (to be written)

What the re-direction software would do is it would relay your bluetooth signal over the net to another PC running the same software, this other PC would then re-transmit the signal.

This way you could play online and play *ANY* game.

Anybody in for a challenge??

I don't think it would work. I may be wrong, but I believe bluetooth devices need to be paired. Meaning, if you use your Wiimote with your Wii, your PC can't communicate with it.

I'm a bit confused -

Are you saying that you'd want a system whereby you can use your computer to "view" the game on the screen, and your wiimote to play? thereby the PC would act as a remote "client" to another users wii, acting as the server?

Or do you want BOTH persons wii to be on, and connected, playing wii bowling?

The first is simple, the second is much more difficult.

He is thinking of using the Bluetooth dongle+PC+Internet as a tunnel whereby to each Wii console, it appears as if the data coming over Bluetooth from the PC is actually Bluetooth data from a Wiimote in the same room as the console, despite the fact that this data is actually coming from someone (potentially) far away using the Internet.

Hmm, just one issue there monk,

You can't have two wiimotes, sending the same signal to two different wii's.

For it to work online, it must first work in person. So in person, if we got two wii's, and two wii motes, one wii-mote per wii connected, and two tv's, we can't play the same wii bowling... or can we?

I have no other friends that have a wii where I live to test this out - I'm in the Bahamas - so anyone else know if this can happen? If this can happen we can bypass the blutooth data altogether, and if the two wii's are communicating via WiFi, then we can simply parse the WiFi data on both ends of the internet conenction. And yes, there would be latency, but on a decent connection, (cable, DSL or above) it would be fine. I'm sure the wii netcode itself would compensate for the latency anyways.

However, the only way to play a game with no netcode (meaning it wont even connect to wii's in one room) is to use ONE wii for the entire experience. Sooo, we'd be using one wii as the server, and shooting out video data over the internet to the PC CLIENT, and the person at the PC CLIENT would have his wiimote sync'd up to the Wii server via internet signal, coming through the PC CLIENT. The wii server would also need a PC present to translate the blutooth signal coming from the client, to the wii.

... I hope that makes some sense, cuz it's 4:20 in the mornin'.

Overlord said:
Hmm, just one issue there monk,

You can't have two wiimotes, sending the same signal to two different wii's.

For it to work online, it must first work in person. So in person, if we got two wii's, and two wii motes, one wii-mote per wii connected, and two tv's, we can't play the same wii bowling... or can we?

...SNIP...

Umm, I'm not sure why you are talking about it working with two Wii consoles at once. What pclapham proposed is POSSIBLE, in theory, assuming one worked out all the hacks and data manipulation and whatnot. I suppose a really dedicated group of individuals could make this work. Regardless, latency would be the biggest issue (hence my bringing it up), so this would be limited to turned base games such as bowling.

Except that bluetooth devices (like the Wiimote) need to be paired with a single system before it would work. It MAY be possible to sniff out the bluetooth data without pairing with it, but it probably wouldn't be too reliable, as it probably wouldn't catch all the data.

Doing this would require pairing the wiimote with both a computer and a Wii at the same time, which isn't possible.

ilcid said:
Except that bluetooth devices (like the Wiimote) need to be paired with a single system before it would work. It MAY be possible to sniff out the bluetooth data without pairing with it, but it probably wouldn't be too reliable, as it probably wouldn't catch all the data.

Doing this would require pairing the wiimote with both a computer and a Wii at the same time, which isn't possible.

And thats only one of many reasons why this wouldn't work.

ilcid said:

Yes, sniffing data would be required. It wouldn't be pretty, but what type of tunneling hacks of this type are?

monksealpup said:
Umm, I'm not sure why you are talking about it working with two Wii consoles at once. What pclapham proposed is POSSIBLE, in theory, assuming one worked out all the hacks and data manipulation and whatnot. I suppose a really dedicated group of individuals could make this work. Regardless, latency would be the biggest issue (hence my bringing it up), so this would be limited to turned base games such as bowling.

Agree. It is possible because you can think of BTDougle+PC+Internet as a Wiimote. So, whatever you do on the Wiimote, you do it with PC (like pairing and syncing.) and you don't need that wiimote in the way at all.

The problem of latency is there, but I wouldn't be too scared, because it is the same issue with any online games. If people are already playing shooting games on internet using PC, I don't see why this approach cannot. Right?

Last edited:
duancg said:
The problem of latency is there, but I wouldn't be too scared, because it is the same issue with any online games. If people are already playing shooting games on internet using PC, I don't see why this approach cannot. Right?

The problem is those games are designed to be played on the Internet, so they are taking advantage of techniques to mitigate latency issues. Games that are not designed for this are making the assumption that the data will be there relatively immediately (e.g. Wii Sports: Tennis).

Did some research

It would not be a problem at all to have a blutooth device send instructions to the wii. The data is encrypted somewhat, so either A: break a wiimote and use the remote wii-motes mechanical-to-blutooth data, send it over internet, to the broken wii-mote and have that wii-mote send the data to the wii. this is possible. So in essence, that wii-mote would be recieving mechanical data, mimicking the motions of an arm or finger.

I did this with an old IR snes controller, diodes, wires and a breadboard + PC - wish i could find it now.

pssh forgot, or B: find a device that can emit blutooth data and emulate a wii-mote. Good luck with B.

Back