Playing English language VC games on a Wii bought in Taiwan

ALT83

WiiChat Member
Feb 24, 2009
Hi guys,

I live in Taiwan and am looking to buy a Wii primarily to buy, download and play Virtual Console games.

If my understanding is correct, only an English language Wii could play the English language games?

Today I saw a Wii with multilanguage (English/Chinese/Japanese) functionality. I assume either these are hardware chipped or firmware upgraded - does anyone know?

Does anyone know how the language switching functionality on a multilingual Wii would work? (i.e. would I need to restart each time I want to change language?)

Would I be able to play English language VC games on such a multilingual Wii or does anyone know if Nintendo would detect it (if that's not allowed - I don't know) and block it from the Virtual Console online store?

Any help would be great as I don't think the people in the shops here really know what they're talking about.

Thanks,

Alex

If its a multi region Wii its most probably chipped as Wiis are only single region

So if its a Japanese Wii it you will only be able to play/download Japanese VC games so you will be suck reading Japanese (not that big a prob on some games but with RPGs your stuck)

It would be better just to by a US Wii from a well known shop and not some back alley grubby little store (not talking about inde stores here)

Thanks for that info.

If anyone has been able to buy/download/play VC games on a chipped Wii it would also be good to know. It seems to be really hard to find original English language Wiis (Japanese ones are the standard) here - I'd probably have to go to Hong Kong and then would have to dodge import duty etc. so could be more hassle than it's worth...

Slightly off topic, can you play the online multiplayer games with people using different language Wiis or are you restricted to only playing with people using the same language Wii?

Back