Playing Gamecube Games On The Wii

Fingerz91

WiiChat Member
Feb 11, 2007
Hello All!

I received a Wii for Christmas, and was eager to attempt to play my old Super Smash Bros. Melee on it. I placed the memory cards, and disk, (all of which worked) and used my Wiimote to select the disc channel. I plugged in the Gamecube controllers (one wavebird wireless, one GameStop, two official nintendo) and attempted to start the game. It starts correctly, but does not recognize my controllers

Any ideas, or a guide for playing Gamecube games on the Wii?

eplayer said:
Im interesed in this as well..

I've been looking for an answer for quite a while, actually :smilewinkgrin:

I have over 20 Gamecube games that I still play, but cannot get the wii to recognize my controllers...the wii games work perfectly....

Dunno what to tell you man...It worked perfectly for me I believe. I think I heard somewhere that you have to press down on both the R and L buttons at the same time in order for the Wii to recognize the controllers though. I don't remember if I did this or not since its been awhile.

after you select the disc channel, with the mote, you also have to select "start" with the mote, not a GC controller.

Very Odd, I have 4 Official GC controllers and two Bongos that all recognise without a problem.
Maybe try it with one controller in the first player slot (neartest to front) Try a couple differnet controllers and see if you can get it to read one... then go from there.

Hope that helps,

-Bobby

MetroidZ said:
Stick the GCN disc in.

Select it using the Wiimote.

When the game starts the Gamecube controller should respond.

That's what should happen :smilewinkgrin:

I'll try as soon as I can and post back

Any other ideas would be appreciated...

Got It!!

For some reason unknown to me, the Wii Update caused the controllers not to work....

I called Nintendo and said this is a common problem...

Whatever, it works!

Once I am finished playing a Gamecube game, I can't seem to get back to the Wii menu. Is there a way to get back to the menu without restarting the system.

Thanks

I bought those controllers. They work great and they have rumble, which is rare for wireless controllers. I would recommend them, plus you get two for the price of one.

First of all don't insert the controllers after you have the game running, do it before, and then check your frequency on the controller it needs to be the same as the frequency in the connector

Back