Playing GameCube Games on the Wii

WiiWidget

WiiChat Member
Dec 6, 2006
Hi

I know you can play GameCube games on the Wii, but do you need the "classic" controller to work them?

Because I tried to play Animal Crossing (my only GameCube game so far) and it loaded up and all, but the remote/nunchuck were not working at all. It stayed on the opening screen and did not sense me pushing any buttons on my controllers.

Do I need the classic remote to work GameCube games? Or justs ome GameCube games?

Thanks!

P.S. Does anyone else wish that we could use GameCube style controllers instead of the classic one???? :crazy:

Last edited:
Waylander said:
You use Gamecube controllers to play Gamecube games.

You do? You can use GameCube controllers with the Wii? I did not know they could be plugged into the Wii?

I never had a GameCube so I am unfamiliar with what the connectors look like.

Thanks!

Oh thank you both for your help!

how many Gamecube controllers can you plug in? Just 2? If so, is there a way to buy some sort of adapter so you can plug in 4?

I am just thinking of playing Mario Kart or Mario Party with friends.

Thanks!

The GCN system runs separately from the Wii. Here are a few things to expect that I learned the hard way.
>The wiimote loses ALL functionality ie. no HOME menu and cannot power the system off
>Ejecting the game translates to a "DISC COVER OPEN" state
>RESET resets the GCN software.
>It REALLY is like having a GCN!
>It's fully backwards compatible :thumbsup:

Thanks Bucky and Foot!

I'm glad there are 4 GC controller plugs.

Hey Bucky- when you say it is really like having a GameCube, do you mean you can play the GC games and use the GC controllers and you wouldn't even know you were using a different system?

Sorry, I'm not much of a gamer and am just getting into it with the Wii

I did notice that the remote control doesn't even power off the console when playing a GC game.

It would be nice to atleast have the same preview screen like the GCN, but at least it plays flawlessly. That matters most.

the GC ports are on top !! .. can't believe you people aren't using the vertical stand for the Wii .. it looks sooo much better standing up.

yeah you dont get the GCN splash screen or anything, but the discs play exactly the same .. my wife plays DDR on the Wii everyday.

true

Wii_Smurf said:
IT'S NOT ON THE SIDE FFS

From what i saw........... It's a flap u move and then you wil see the four slots....... but that is the side homey lol... dependin on if you use the stand or not............. But tru what FFS means anyway................. I can't wait to get my wii dudes

Back