Playing Wii on a HD T.V.

Cap'n Crunch

WiiChat Member
Nov 8, 2006
Indiana
Alright, so I've heard that playing a Wii on a HD T.V. makes the graphics even worse. So I was just wondering how much of a difference there really is from playing on an HD to a normal t.v? Is it abig enough difference that I should move my Wii to a normal television?:confused:

Sony 60" HD tv...composite cables look poor..got component cable and look pretty good.
get them on-line for around $8.00 with shipping..all work good.. don't spend a lot on these
cables...out

if your tv is 1080P, then there are 1080 lines vertical. the wii with 480i has 240 lines vertical. the tv must then spread the 240 lines over 1080. makes it look awful. the 480p spreads 480 lines over 1080. it still won't look great as good as other systems, but it
ll work. it also has much brighter colours etc.

the wii with 480i has 240 lines vertical.

Just thought I'd correct you here, although you aren't entirely wrong.

An interlaced image is drawn every other line in one scan, and then the opposite lines in the second scan. That is, the first scan draws lines 1, 3, 5, 7, etc., and then the second scan fills in the rest of the image by drawing lines 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. 480i and 480p both contain the same amount of scanlines (480), but interlaced draws every other one, then goes back and fills in the rest, while progressive draws every line one after the other.

if your tv is 1080P, then there are 1080 lines vertical. the wii with 480i has 240 lines vertical. the tv must then spread the 240 lines over 1080. makes it look awful...

You're right in practice but in theory it shouldn't matter. It depends on the hardware used to stretch the standard def signal. Good scaling algorithms will dither the image as it stretches it. A bad (but cheap) one will just assign each pixel to a larger range when scaling. The bad news is that even some high end televisions have lousy scalers. The good news is that a lot of stores can't be bothered to show high def video on their lower end high def televisions so you can usually see how bad standard def is going to look before you buy as long as you get the cheap stuff. Given the same size television, a standard def image should look no worse on a high def television but when push comes to shove TV manufacturers tend to cut that particular corner in their design.

Back