playstation 3 sales slowly but steadily increasing

tgjester7

WiiChat Member
Apr 6, 2007
Just as I predicted..

http://www.betanews.com/article/PS3_US_Sales_Stabilize_Wii_Sales_Drop_in_March/1177095811

I love nintendo, own a wii and can't wait for the future hits such as SMG and SSBB, but I have to say the wii fanboyism has been a little out of control. The playstation 3 is not dead, it is just increasing at a slower rate because of the price and current lack of games. In a few years I believe it will be equal to or surpass the 360 & wii, it by far has the most potential for future games and if you're a hardcore gamer you'd be missing out on a lot by not buying one because "OMFG I HATE SONY!!! WII WOULD LIEK TO PLAY!!!"

i think its the commercials

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUP5-lHBUvA&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fbulletin%2Emyspace%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ecfm%3Ffuseaction%3Dbulletin%2Eread%26messageID%3D3339164316%26Mytoken%3D5B8CA400%2D8A18%2D4EC2%2DA27[/media]

Meh, depending on different sources, you'll always get spin, opinions and half truths.

Take this for example:
“Q1 is looking like the beginning of an up-cycle year. There’s good software movement, but hardware is stalled a bit by short Wii supply and stagnant demand for 360 and PS3. I believe the Wii will continue strong growth although supply continues to be a problem. I’d like to see Wii hardware shipping in larger quantities or mass market consumers may cool on it. Having said that, I don’t believe supply will meet demand for the Wii until 2009.* Xbox 360 and PS3 need system-selling games ASAP. Halo 3 will help, as will Lair and Heavenly Sword, but that leaves a hole in Q2 which will be filled by Wii, DS and PSP hardware and software. We’ll also see more PC and PS2 software picking up the slack.” - Billy Pidgeon, video game analyst, IDC
Source: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...&threadid=19126&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=
* - Sure gonna be a lot of people unhappy about that!

Last edited:
nic7 said:
yeah, saw that a minute ago, cant possibly believe it

and btw, a 2% increase when ps3's are readily availiable isnt that impressive. But it is very interesting to see that the wii and 360 dropped so much.

My main point was that it is in fact selling and catching up to the other two consoles. Look at the ps2 sales, they are still solid as the price for them went down. That will likely be the ps3's future as well. It won't fly off the shelves immediately, but build momentum over time like a bulldozer. As soon as the hysteria for all 3 new consoles dies down and a year or two of games are released, expect the sales to increase drastically.

I don't believe the wii had a sales drop (technically) remember they just ended they fiscal year. How can there be no wiis to buy anywhere and people are celebrating that wii's honeymoon is over....simple what happened that there was 23% less wiis available for the month of march than there was for february.

If PS3 is going to be so great and have such great games, how about we all hold off and wait till those games come out. I'm not going to buy a game system on potential alone.

Sovieto said:
considering they are keeping stocks back it could be possible
Are they?...
Is this based on that random Gamestop guy having a "theory" about Nintendo met their quota for their fiscal year and didn't bother to release anymore Wii consoles?

For the month, the PS3 sold 130,000 consoles, up about 2 percent from the past month. While the change is statistically insignificant due to it being within the margin of error for the survey, it still shows signs that sales have begun to stabilize.
So, the 2% may be data error or rounding up of statistics or whatever, yet the guy is ready to claim victory for the PS3?

...I'm just not convinced.

The drop in sales for the Wii is surprising, but since virtually every one shipped is sold, it sounds like it's due to a drop in manufacturing.

As to the PS3, consider this. The PS3 launched in a new market and did so in a month 25% longer than the one preceding it (by NPD figuring). I would have expected a jump of a lot more than 2%.

David328ci said:
If PS3 is going to be so great and have such great games, how about we all hold off and wait till those games come out. I'm not going to buy a game system on potential alone.
Why did you buy a Wii then?

SSBB this GTA that... same deal

Nintendo is officially over 5.8 million units sold. They are selling an average of 1 million units a month with estimates of 14-16 million by the end of 2007. What's more insane is they dethroned EA as top developer. EA has dominated the top developer list #1 for the past 7 years!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6169748.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;2

I'm not sure what Sony's average is per month, nor Microsoft's. Anyone have an exact number for these two?

StevenNevets said:
Why did you buy a Wii then?

SSBB this GTA that... same deal

Probably because the Wii has such a cool controller, good classic games, and it has the superior version of LoZ.

Back