Please help , wii problem, aaaah! Don't know what to do!

Illyb

WiiChat Member
Jan 4, 2014
Thailand
Hi I hope someone here can help with my problem!, last night when I tried to connect my sons new wii to the internet I seem to have frozen it. The screen now reads like this

System menu Home brew channelInstalled fileLoad/install file System menu hacksSettingError autobooting system menu!Could not open boot file!iOS v60System menu v449Preloaded v0.29

What can I do now? I know nothing about these kind of games consoles and don't know what to do to fix the problem. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks loads!

Last edited:
That Wii is most certainly not new. All of that crazy error stuff, and mention of "Homebrew", means the Wii was illegally modified by it's previous owner. This is assuming it was bought used, and your son didn't do the modifications himself.

Regardless, if pressing any buttons does nothing to get rid of this screen, it's likely the console is "bricked". This essentially means it's been broken permanently, most likely with no way to fix it. The hardware modifications also mean that Nintendo may refuse to repair it... worse still is it's possible the seller was intentionally selling you a broken Wii, so getting a refund may not happen, though I'd still recommend looking into it.

My apologies for being the bearer of bad news.

Hi thanks for the quick reply, that sounds soo bad! My son defo did not do any modifications as he's only 5 years old.I got it for him at Christmas so we've only had it about a week, it worked fine until I tried to connect it to the internet. We live in Thailand where they sell a lot of copied games so maybe they just modify them as standard here! So if a wii has been hacked/ modified would it automatically brick if you try to connect it to the internet or perform an update??Is there a manual reset or something that I can try? Other than holding down reset as it turns on (tried that already)Thanks again!

Hi thanks for the quick reply, that sounds soo bad! My son defo did not do any modifications as he's only 5 years old.I got it for him at Christmas so we've only had it about a week, it worked fine until I tried to connect it to the internet. We live in Thailand where they sell a lot of copied games so maybe they just modify them as standard here!

Modifications that revolve around "Homebrew" are the sort that are typically utilized by players who do things that the console's company don't want. Cheating in online multiplayer, pirating games, etc. So no, I don't believe your Wii's modifications were done as a sort of standard procedure.

So if a wii has been hacked/ modified would it automatically brick if you try to connect it to the internet or perform an update??

The update is definitely what caused this issue. If a console's programming is messed with enough through these sorts of modifications, updates will no longer be compatible... but the console doesn't know that, so an update is forced. Then things break.

Is there a manual reset or something that I can try? Other than holding down reset as it turns on (tried that already)Thanks again!

To my knowledge, there is not. =( If this brick is of the worst sort, even professionals may not be able to repair it. A replacement Wii may be the only option.

Ah that sucks so hard, I bought this in good faith as brand new, it looked brand new when I opened it. They must have modified it in the shop assuming who ever bought it would want to use copied games with it. My son will be disappointed and What a waste of money!Thanks for your help splash king.

Whether the shop's workers or it's previous owner hacked the Wii, this was essentially selling a damaged/defective console. You're definitely entitled to a refund or at the least a replacement, and I sincerely hope the business ya got it from agrees. If the shop did it, whomever authorized that should also be fired lol.

Best of luck getting your money back.

Yeah you are right, this is Thailand though, probably got more chance of getting water out of a stone than a refund regardless of who's to blame, but I will try. Thanks again for your help man!

Back