Please Help With Mod. My Dad is going kill me.

gersrt

WiiChat Member
Oct 26, 2007
Ok thinking I knew it all I decided to install my wi-key myself.

I have the one with clipped legs.

Couldn't solder to points on chip so I grinded back on the chip.

Still couldn't solder to the traces so decided to lift them up to make it easier.

Now whats happened is I moved them a little bit too much back and forth and two broke.

Question is. can i grind back more more of the chip to expose more of the traces
and then lift them again to make it easier to solder on to. (does it matter how much of the chip u grind away.

Also I seem to have excess solder on the 2 or 3 pins beside the 3 I'm working on. Can't seem to cleanly remove it all.

Any Ideas much appriciate.

Thanks

An Idiot

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Edit/Delete Message

Lifted up traces? You need a solder-pult or something to extract the excess, however I think you're going to go from bad to worse. Your best bet is to probably send it to one the of companies that can do the mod for you, and hopefully recover your machine.

I have reasonably decent experience soldering, and I wouldn't touch an install.

man u should have got a professional to do it. i didnt want to stuff up my wii so i got someone to do it cheap and now its going good

Chalk it up to a life lesson. Don't mess with stuff you don't know about, and don't try and get stuff for free that's not free.

And if somehow you do get it working again, there's no guarantee it won't be bricked the next day by Nintendo.

Best I ever system modded was region selector switches in a couple moldel 1 Genesis consoles. That's an easy job. 3 solder points with larger wires and simple board trace cutting at 1 point. I can region mod a Genesis in 5 minutes.

I took 1 look at what soldering is needed to install a modchip in a Playstation and decided against it. Modern systems have finer wiring. Couldn't find an installer in the area so I gave up on that one.

I once looked into region modding a Super NES.... more fine wiring involved, not worth messing with.

Never saw a reason to mod the newer stuff. Not worth breaking something and I like having the case+manual with my games anyway. And if you take the system online, the company will notice.... MS bans people from Live if they catch you with a modded Xbox.

So you took a grinder to the chip? There's a mistake right there. If you broke the pins off of the chip, you can't resolder them back into place. Did you actually do anything to the Wii itself?

You will likely need a new chip if the legs broke. My chip brought just 2 holes and three other spaces to solder. Hopefully you didn't mess up the wii board. I almost did that by barely touching the soldering gun to the wii. In order to solder those close points, you need to put a little ball of soldering on the gun and run it sideways. This is for wiikey chip that has 3 really close to each other points.

damn dude looks like daddy is gonna be pretty mad..lol..well if u took that grinder to the chip:lol: right there is where u went wrong...nothing about that chip can be fixed now...life lesson man we all do it...and second get urself a solder-pult to remove the remaining solder that is left.

Skippy said:
Chalk it up to a life lesson. Don't mess with stuff you don't know about, and don't try and get stuff for free that's not free.

And if somehow you do get it working again, there's no guarantee it won't be bricked the next day by Nintendo.

Well,

Moded wii's work well if the chip is installed properly. So it can give you stuff for free especially if you live in Europe and buying games in the U.S (much cheaper). Also, you can play downloaded wii games on moded wii's. Of course, there is always risk, so i've heard from people that some games won't work on moded consoles, or that moded consoles in some cases can not access the Internet. As I haven't tried to mod my wii, I can't confirm this claims.

I installed a mod chip for my PS1 a long time ago.

A few tips:

- FILE your soldering tip to a relative point if it isn't already sharp
- Use flux on the wires coming out of your chip before hand (if you have any)
- Apply solder directly to the wire ends FIRST, then line the wire up where you want it, and apply heat to the wire (near where the solder is), and it should attach.
- Make sure you have a desoldering gun, if you need to remove solder from a joint. Which you should do, since adding solder onto the pile could potentially connect two paths that shouldn't be connected.

domientius said:
Never saw a reason to mod the newer stuff. Not worth breaking something and I like having the case+manual with my games anyway.

And if you take the system online, the company will notice.... MS bans people from Live if they catch you with a modded Xbox.

x2. I don't feel bad for people that brick their systems by modding it. Maybe I'm just a little more honest than most.

There's always a catch when trying to get something for nothing, and eventually hopefully all modded systems will be bricked.

Back