Please help!!!!?!?!?

supercool

WiiChat Member
Dec 16, 2006
I was wondering if there was anyway I could have both my xbox 360 online and also my Wii online at the sametime. I do not have a PC but have a cable modem and I just bought a wireless router. I am under the impression I need a PC to run the router now. Please could someone give me some information. PLEASEEEE

Yes, you can have both online. You do not need a PC to use the wireless router, but you might need one to configure it. (Possibly) I would just set the modem and the router up and you should be ready to go. If it doesn't work just post again on this thread.

Having a wireless router and no PC is a bit of a scary proposition. It probably means that your router has no security setup and anyone in your neighbourhood can see and use your broadband connection for their Wii, Xbox, or PC.

You should at least try to borrow a PC and have some security settings created. The router can support numerous connections at the same time so that shouldn't be an issue.

I believe most routers need a PC to log in and change the settings or else you would be running in default configuration. But if you know your IP the router sees you might be able to log into your router from any PC. (not exactly sure about this).

Another solution would be.. if you don't have a PC bring the router to work or a friends house and connect it to a PC and make any changes required there. But most routers are ready to run out of the box if you don't care about wifi security.

Yes, I could access a couple of PC's to configure the router, also I bought a 50 ft usb cord but then find out the Wii usb slot is different. Is there a special usb cord for the Wii or just a regular one will do?

i think i might know your problem. did you get the cable modem from an ISP (Internet Service Provider) or did you just buy one at the store without signing up for internet?

No i have had internet access for awhile. I just need to know why 1st) where to get a usb that fits thew back of the Wii and goes to either a router or modem and 2nd) is using a wireless router and programming in with a pc then bring it back to my house and set it up between just two consoles. The 360 and the Wii without any PC

the wii right now only work with wireless. if you have a wire/wireless router then you should be able too hookup with both the wii and the xbox360 at the same time with no trouble. please, in detail, explain the setup

thanks guys

:mad: ill go over my setup. What I want to do is have a xbox360 online and also a Wii online. I don't have enough cash to go buy the wireless things for each system so I wanted to hard wire both of them. I do not have a PC at my house but I can go to either work or a buds house to setup the router if that is needed. Essentially, what I want is both the 360 and the Wii to have internet access between the two without a PC.

I have a cable modem with internet access and a new wireless modem with two usb cords(one is about 5 feet the other is 50 feet). Also I am curious if the Wii has a special usb wire you need to wire it to a router/modem. Thanks guys for your help and sorry for my computer retardation.

Wireless modem

supercool

if u have a wireless modem/router then u do not need the usb for the wii. Is that what you have?

I do have a wireless router and a cable modem, but I thought you needed somekind of wireless receiver also to run the consoles wireless

Wireless Router

If you have a wireless router then the wii can be run that way. The USB is only for hardwiring it to the router. My set it like this. I use Starband Satellite internet > PC > USR8054 Wireless Router> 3 Laptops, Wii, PSP, DS the only thing you seem to be missing is the PC, it depends on the type router you have whether it will just pick it up automaticlly or like mine I had to manually enter 192.168.123.105 etc. and subnet and all the dns stuff. Try it and if the wii doesnt pass the test, you will need to set the router up at someones pc. But no u don;t need to use the USB now. Hope that helps alittle

dcofty

Hey guys im so stupid with this stuff. So the Wii can run the internet wireless without any special hookup? I can go to someones pc to configure if need be but I dont know exactly what I need. I have my 360 hooked up to a modem and from there I wanted to wire a 50 ft cable to another room in my house to a wireless router and from the router ro the Wii. I need to know if there is a special wireless receiver I need for the back of the Wii or if it picks it ip itself(im so computer stupid). I can do the router configure at work anytime if I need to though

Ok someone forgot to say, that the wii and the xbox 360 have wireless reciver built in, so all you need is the wireless router (which u have) to set them up.

Back