Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Pleasee

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Online' started by Tailwhip, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Tailwhip

Tailwhip WiiChat Member

I know this has been asked a lot, but:
    THE DISTANCE BETWEEN MY WII AND XP SYSTEM IS ABOUT 6 METERS (20 FEET), THERE ARE 2 CEILINGS INBETWEEN THEM, SO:

IS A WIFI USB CONNECTER ABLE TO CONNECT WITH MY WII SO I CAN GET ONLINE????

2. BIGTONE1

BIGTONE1 BIG.T.

Yes but IMO wireless connection is crap both on the x-box and Wii.
    They drop out too much.
    Go for hardwired.

3. billcsho

billcsho WiiChat Member

I remember my old wireless connection was crap and I had blind spot in my house that could not be connected. But after I upgraded from 802.11b to my second 802.11g router, the connection was much better. With my first 802.11g router (WRT54G v.1), I need to run a second router in bridge mode in increase the coverage. Then I found the second 802.11g router (F5D7230-4) has better signal and can cover the whole house (but at lower speed in some place). My third g router is USR and the signal is so strong that I can keep it in the basement and still give me full speed connection on the second floor. Now I runs 4 wireless routers in bridge mode for the connection convenience rather than improved coverage as I can connect to any router wirelessly anywhere in my house. The OP needs connections between 3 floors and wired connection is not convenience and sometimes not possible. It may not be cheaper than wireless either. Nevertheless, I don't think the USB WiFi connector is the way to go. Those USB dongles have embeded antenna that may have limited reception. I would suggest getting a wireless router instead since the Wii has built-in wireless interface already.

4. Brawny

Brawny Anglophobiphile

Wii Friend Code: 5385-4035-7079-0395
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    Hm... you could send the signal through the house wiring and broadcast with a light socket modification..... you would have to know what you are doing though. :/

Drill a hole in the floors :p

5. billcsho

billcsho WiiChat Member

Yes, one may do that. The networking over electric wires was available even before 802.11g. But why bother if a wireless router work fine at a lower cost.

6. Brawny

Brawny Anglophobiphile

Wii Friend Code: 5385-4035-7079-0395
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    True, I was just advertising every option.

7. Tailwhip

Tailwhip WiiChat Member

I WAS going to buy a wireless router but somehow it cant connect with my current internet thingey dno how you call it neways its wired and id need to buy a new one for 200$ and then connect a 50$ router to it. 250$, never mind then...

So im still looking for other options and since i cant return that usb dongle if it doesnt work id be left wasting 40$ ffs...

I DO have an ethernet cable upstairs could i do something with that??

8. FR3344LL

FR3344LL honesty is my only excuse

ffs, where do you get that price from?

is it gold pated and encrusted with diamonds?

there's no way a new modem and/or router is gonna cost that
    much unless you're going for high end draytek or cisco kit.

9. Almo

Almo WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 8407-4245-3370-0256
    8407-4245-3370-0256
    i dodged up all my options too when i wanted the wii online, considering I had a laptop and habe now bought a DS as well it was very worth me buying a wireless router, if anyone in your house has use for wirless then ittd be worth having it, and yeah if you get a decent router itll go thru a few floors easy, though i get th occasional blindspot but its only when im right beside the router

10. billcsho

billcsho WiiChat Member

From the cost of the USB dongle the OP mentioned, he should be in US. Get a wireless router for $20 at OfficeDepot this week and return it if it doesn't work.