Points for play

tooknie

WiiChat Member
Nov 18, 2006
Portsmouth
Just an idea that will probably have been thought about already, but what about on certain Nintendo Wii games offering a points system for high scores/winning etc and then having a way of converting them into points to buy virtual console games. Nintendo wants to draw gamers in and most people enjoy things by association (e.g. some crap Britney Spears song is played for long enough on the radiio it becomes catchy and people rush out to buy it). By encouraging people to play hard at their games they are likely to raise appeal for their main breadwinning products, full wii games.

Or is is a stupid idea.

Thoughts?:scared:

because nintendo doesn't care if you beat, or even play the games, so long as you buy them. from a business point it's a terribly stupid idea, but as a person who loves playing games, I would definitely say it's a fun idea. I think we'll probably start to see online tournaments with various games (I'm hoping the next Wii Sports if there is one would allow for this) allowing you to win prizes. Or VC games. I know it's possible, Sega did it with Sega channel and that was many many many many many years ago. I think these are the games you'll see yourself getting something for free simply for having fun.

That said, including wii points, or exclusive software/minigames/VC downloads in the box with new games or new peripherals is not only a good idea, it's pretty much guaranteed. It may be combo deals, maybe not. Say EA sports releases Fight Night and NHL on the same day this year, or around the same time, register both and you get a free download of NHLPA 93 for sega genesis or some such thing... of course then people would scam it with free rentals, so they would have to subscribe to nintendo's unique pin code in the box method of distributing registration keys, and who knows if that'll go over or not. i bet you'll definitely see it with Nintendo produced games though.

i want free points!

nice idea, esp when online games come out where their might be records of peoples' scores.

there will be plenty of free content but i doubt you'll ever be given free points. that's like giving away money. it devalues the currency. for every game you buy with "free" points, nintendo still has to pay the developer their share in cash.

jus. said:
That said, including wii points, or exclusive software/minigames/VC downloads in the box with new games or new peripherals is not only a good idea, it's pretty much guaranteed.

Now that's a good idea!!!:thumbsup:

tooknie said:
Just an idea that will probably have been thought about already, but what about on certain Nintendo Wii games offering a points system for high scores/winning etc and then having a way of converting them into points to buy virtual console games. Nintendo wants to draw gamers in and most people enjoy things by association (e.g. some crap Britney Spears song is played for long enough on the radiio it becomes catchy and people rush out to buy it). By encouraging people to play hard at their games they are likely to raise appeal for their main breadwinning products, full wii games.

Or is is a stupid idea.

Thoughts?:scared:
im preety sure that, that happens with the 360 ,except there very little points awarded, like 10.

Seibar said:
i want free points!

nice idea, esp when online games come out where their might be records of peoples' scores.

actually I would have liked if Nintendo gave some free points with their launch as a show of appreciation. Also it would be nice, though highly unlikely, if we could gamble our Wii points, in some sort of gaming channel like poker. However, it doesn't seem like Nintendo (a family entertainment system) would promote gambling.:(

I'm personally a little surprised that they didn't include 500 points at launch just to get people hooked on the VC through a "no-risk" trial thing. That way everyone knows it works and is simple. You need to get the ball rolling on this kind of thing - just like Napster, NetFlix etc give you a one month trial because it's a newer concept and some may not pay to make the jump.

I wouldn't be surprised to see points being bundled with games and accessories, especially with some variation of the classic controller. Perhaps it'll be the other way around: buy 5,000 points and get a classic controller for $10-15? I could also see Wii Sports eventually being replaced by a points card.

Maybe have a master scoreboard for each game, and every week, month, whatever take the top 5 scorers and give them...say 5,000 points? i think Nintendo could manage. hope something like that does come along tho, encourage more playing.

Back