Pokemon History

I find Pokemon to be unique enough as it is. For one, you've got the Pokemon with super unique abilities (Kecleon, Shedinja, Ditto, etc) that change their gameplay style drastically. Stats also make a big impact. Chansey and Blissey in particular can shrug off almost any special attack in the game, much better then anything else can. And sometimes signature moves make a big impact, such as on Breloom and Smeargle. Typing is also quite important. It's true that often there are Pokemon that are really similar (for example, Golem and Rhydon), but even then they have things to differentiate themselves. Rhydon has Megahorn whereas Golem doesn't, Golem has Sturdy whereas Rhydon doesn't, etc.

Assasin, you last played Pokemon in Gen III if I remember correctly. Movepools, abilities, and STAB abuse (due to types being either physical or special) were severely lacking. Come gen IV, all of that is pretty much patched up, giving Pokemon new abilities, moves, and attacking stats to viably use (if you don't know what I mean, Sharpedo was mostly forced to use special sets pre Gen IV, due to its STAB being special and having a poor physical movepool. Nowadays, it can use either of its attacking stats, or both at once).

tldr;

Stats, abilities, typing, and movepool make a hell of a difference in making Pokemon unique from each other. It's true that some Pokemon are rather similar, but what can you do? Nothing really.

Through in game there are too many Pokemon that can just spam attack moves and get away with it. I'd like them to add more ways to viably use status moves in game, like Sableye and Whimsicott can do with Prankster.

Technically, yes. Although I tested some alpha stage Pokemon mmo's a couple years ago.

All this variety in gameplay seems to only make a difference for competitive play rather than the single player. I don't ever remember using strategies other than opposite types.

The thing that got me into Pokemon was collecting and trading Pokemon and that lost its flair eventually.

All this variety in gameplay seems to only make a difference for competitive play rather than the single player. I don't ever remember using strategies other than opposite types.
That's because in game is too damn easy.

• No strategy used by opposing trainers (often low AI too)
  • The fact that opposing trainers don't switch most of the time, leaving their Pokemon to die even if they have a clear disadvantage
  • Opposing trainers don't use enough Pokemon (a clear problem with Gym Leaders in BW/BW2, since they usually have three or less Mons)
  • Pokemon gym trainers/leaders all use the same type, meaning that you can usually spam a single Pokemon if they have a type advantage. Same goes with the Elite Four.
  • Opposing trainers don't use items most of the time
  • Opposing trainers don't have their Pokemon hold items most of the time
  • Opposing trainers being underleveled
  • Opposing trainers not evolving their Pokemon

I could probably think of more.

It's not the gameplay mechanics, though, it's how trainers are programmed into the game.

Though you damn well know how badly I want a faster paced system, I think that the main series should stay how it is, aside from difficulty level.

• No strategy used by opposing trainers (often low AI too)
  • The fact that opposing trainers don't switch most of the time, leaving their Pokemon to die even if they have a clear disadvantage
  • Opposing trainers don't have their Pokemon hold items most of the time
Agreeable.

• Pokemon gym trainers/leaders all use the same type, meaning that you can usually spam a single Pokemon if they have a type advantage. Same goes with the Elite Four.
A good Dark-type Pokemon and 2/4 of the Elite 4 are down.

• Opposing trainers don't use items most of the time
And when they do, you know when to expect it, such as Full Restores and X "Stats."

• Opposing trainers being underleveled
lolno

• Opposing trainers not evolving their Pokemon
That's only sometimes.

I find Pokemon to be unique enough as it is. For one, you've got the Pokemon with super unique abilities (Kecleon, Shedinja, Ditto, etc) that change their gameplay style drastically. Stats also make a big impact. Chansey and Blissey in particular can shrug off almost any special attack in the game, much better then anything else can. And sometimes signature moves make a big impact, such as on Breloom and Smeargle. Typing is also quite important. It's true that often there are Pokemon that are really similar (for example, Golem and Rhydon), but even then they have things to differentiate themselves. Rhydon has Megahorn whereas Golem doesn't, Golem has Sturdy whereas Rhydon doesn't, etc.

One move or ability makes a Pokemon notably different only in competitive play, bro. We're discussing how the single player can improve. We all know (... or should know) that competitive battlin' in the Pogeymanz is bloody 'Karplike.

With that said, sparsely distributed variety means moot if it's indeed not common (few Pokes have game-changing abilities like Wonder Guard or Adaptability), not necessarily even beneficial in gameplay (ohai Kecleon's ability), or downright unneeded. My Challenge thread is a testament to this: people can beat the entire story of a game with a ****in' unevolved Rattata. If that can be done, clearly there's no need for further Pokemon variety in terms of battling ability. The game needs more difficulty. Pokemon's uniqueness come from design, not ability in battle.

Regarding this, Game Freak makes the games easy so any scrub can play 'n win (it is a child's game, after all...) with any Pokemon, even if they're pathetically weak. And that's where the problem stems from. The game is designed t' be so easy, a full team of the weakest Pokemon can still succeed. This design flaw was meant t' make it so you can use any Pokemon, yet because of this any Pokemon above moderate strength makes the story a laughing stock whenever it's not at a type disadvantage. It's less fun t' use strong Pokes as a result (ohai every starter not named Chikorita).

This lack of difficulty outs anyone with a taste for potently strong Pokemon. Hell, the amount'a people this lack of difficulty puts off likely is more than the low difficulty attracts. This is one'a the many reasons why competitive battling is so damn popular: Pokemon fans gets tired of this **** difficulty and when they realize there's somethin' of insane difficulty right 'round the corner, they're eager just t' see what all the hubbub's about.

I'm not sayin' a very notable upping of the difficulty will suddenly have everyone of every age playin' Pokemon, but this'l at least satisfy the old fans greatly and perhaps bring in players who abandoned it long ago. For anyone not obsessed with the Pocket Monsters themselves; a feeling that's slowly faded across every generation since RSE, no doubt; the gameplay needs to be more interesting. A grand new level of difficulty is just what Pokemon needs t' usher in some truly great RPGs, t'is an important step I'd say is quite fundamental to the growth'a the series' audience. An unnecessary one based on points I'd previously discussed in another thread (that whole popularity begets popularity junk), but unnecessary doesn't often mean not good. I'd greatly prefer a Pokemon game with a masterwork plot than highly ramped up difficulty, but the latter is still a good start.

Game Freak acknowledging the existence of competitive battling outside'a VGC would be nice too...

My thoughts exactly. needz moar difficulty

One move or ability makes a Pokemon notably different only in competitive play, bro. We're discussing how the single player can improve. We all know (... or should know) that competitive battlin' in the Pogeymanz is bloody 'Karplike.

With that said, sparsely distributed variety means moot if it's indeed not common (few Pokes have game-changing abilities like Wonder Guard or Adaptability), not necessarily even beneficial in gameplay (ohai Kecleon's ability), or downright unneeded. My Challenge thread is a testament to this: people can beat the entire story of a game with a ****in' unevolved Rattata. If that can be done, clearly there's no need for further Pokemon variety in terms of battling ability. The game needs more difficulty. Pokemon's uniqueness come from design, not ability in battle.

Regarding this, Game Freak makes the games easy so any scrub can play 'n win (it is a child's game, after all...) with any Pokemon, even if they're pathetically weak. And that's where the problem stems from. The game is designed t' be so easy, a full team of the weakest Pokemon can still succeed. This design flaw was meant t' make it so you can use any Pokemon, yet because of this any Pokemon above moderate strength makes the story a laughing stock whenever it's not at a type disadvantage. It's less fun t' use strong Pokes as a result (ohai every starter not named Chikorita).

This lack of difficulty outs anyone with a taste for potently strong Pokemon. Hell, the amount'a people this lack of difficulty puts off likely is more than the low difficulty attracts. This is one'a the many reasons why competitive battling is so damn popular: Pokemon fans gets tired of this **** difficulty and when they realize there's somethin' of insane difficulty right 'round the corner, they're eager just t' see what all the hubbub's about.

I'm not sayin' a very notable upping of the difficulty will suddenly have everyone of every age playin' Pokemon, but this'l at least satisfy the old fans greatly and perhaps bring in players who abandoned it long ago. For anyone not obsessed with the Pocket Monsters themselves; a feeling that's slowly faded across every generation since RSE, no doubt; the gameplay needs to be more interesting. A grand new level of difficulty is just what Pokemon needs t' usher in some truly great RPGs, t'is an important step I'd say is quite fundamental to the growth'a the series' audience. An unnecessary one based on points I'd previously discussed in another thread (that whole popularity begets popularity junk), but unnecessary doesn't often mean not good. I'd greatly prefer a Pokemon game with a masterwork plot than highly ramped up difficulty, but the latter is still a good start.

Game Freak acknowledging the existence of competitive battling outside'a VGC would be nice too...
Holy ****, look at this giant wall of text.

what I see
wall_of_junk.jpg
Who be stealing my thunda?

Back