Pokemon of the Week: Hoenn!

Splash_King

The Scrubbiest of Hunters
Jan 25, 2009
Nimbasa City
Wii Online Code
0129-0129-0129-0129
Yup, PotW thread three! As the thread title says, this is all about declaring a pokemon of the week! I'll be using a random number generator every week to determine what pokemon to use. The first pokemon might get a short week, but it'l keep things going, yeah? Also, this Pokemon of the week (PotW) thread will be specifically for Hoenn! Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh get their own threads!

This threads all about discussing the Hoenn pokemon of the week in whatever way you feel, whether you hate it, love it, think it's weird, you're indifferent to it, or just have some crazy things to say about it. Throw in some links while you're at it, etc. etc. This discussion is completely loose and there's no boundaries, as long as it has to do with the pokemon of the week! :thumbsup:

Alright fellow pokefans, start posting! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Alright! The first Hoenn PotW is...! Crawdaunt!

http://www.legendarypokemon.net/images/dp_artwork/342.png

Dex number 342
Type: Water/Dark
Ability: Hyper Cutter/Shell Armor
Height: 3' 7"
Weight: 72.3 lbs
Japanese Name: Shizarigar (gazoontite?)

Crawdaunt, the Rogue Pokemon. Crawdaunt has an extremely violent nature that compels it to challenge other living things to battle. Other life-forms refuse to live in ponds inhabited by this Pokémon, making them desolate places. Crawdaunt molts sheds its shell regularly. Immediately after molting, its shell is soft and tender. Until the shell hardens, this Pokémon hides in its streambed burrow to avoid attack from its foes. It is a ruffian that uses its pincers to pick up and toss out other Pokémon from its pond.

Crawdaunt's a cool pokemon. Like Zapdos, I'm not a fan of it, but it is an interesting Water type. For a Water/Dark type, it's cooler than Sharpedo, anyways. :p I'm one of the few that prefers Crawdaunt over it's common comparison, Kingler. Kingler just looks... moronic. He always has that stupid look on it's face, soooo... >.>;;; That's just my opinion, though.

On the competitive battling scene, Crawdaunt is actually overshadowed by Kingler and Sharpedo. Sharpedo, while more frail, is generally better for it's purposes. Sharpedo can do a lot of what Crawdaunt can do, but better.

What Crawdaunt can do that Sharpedo can, Kingler probably can as well, like Swords Dance. Since Kingler is faster, has higher defense (but not sp. def), and even faster, Crawdaunt might be a worse option. Having dark STAB to work with is nice, but Kingler might be slightly better. Crawdaunt's just another common UU. Not good, not bad, but sadly overshadowed.

Now, what's your opinions on Crawdaunt?

Crawdaunt is cool. It has unique coloring, not to mention its weird lags and claws. But Sharpedo is much cooler.

I beg to differ. >.> Sharpedo < Crawdaunt. Sharpedo's just... meh, for me. I simply don't like him. Garchomp is the better (land)shark pokemon. :p Sharpedo just seems so... stale, it's not very inventive for a Sharp pokemon. On the contrare, Garchomp is IMO.

Which reminds me...
I brutaly disected A crawfish in biology today. Riped it brains and guts... blood whent every were! It was the ultimate in brutality!

...Which is what Id do if someone was foolish enough to train a Crawdaunt

I'm sure that Crawdaunt would be dismantling you instead. :p

In a battle, Crawdaunt pretty much beats Sharpedo 1 on 1. It should survive a hit, and then one-shot it with something like Brick Break.

In a battle, Crawdaunt pretty much beats Sharpedo 1 on 1. It should survive a hit, and then one-shot it with something like Brick Break.
Then it should faint from rough skin. :D LOL

Actually, the best Sharpedo can manage is Earthquake on Crawdaunt, which generally won't put Crawdaunt in KO range by Rough Skin. Crawdaunt then rips it to shreds with Brick Break, lol. Won't have much HP left after Rough Skin, though.

You made a valid point though, I forgot about rough skin, lol.

I can has Lv 100 Crawdaunt in Ruby?

Not EV trained

Held item varies; usually Amulet Coin

Crabhammer
Surf
Ice Beam
Something else that I forgot about

I totally raised this puppy when I was like 11. It took a shitload of experience points.

Ya, Crawdaunt is notorious for taking an assload of EXP. Infact, it even says that in one of it's dex entries.

"A rough customer that wildly flails its giant claws. It is said to be extremely hard to raise."

It's base EXP is 1,640,000, the highest. Takes as much as some of the legendaries, lol.

Sharpedo may be able to take out Crawdaunt with rough skin if it has Choice Band on. That's a hard hit coming from Sharpedo. If Crawdaunt survives, he'll probably have a little HP left and end up fainting if he touches Sharpedo.

Competitive battling items, eh?

Crawdaunt could just run a focus sash so they'd both faint, lol. Or he could run a choice scarf and get the upper hand, KOing immediatly. When you include items, it's a neverending circle, lol. There's always one pokemon set that counters another (usually).

Yeah, you're right. It is never ending. x_x I just really typed the first scenario that popped in my head. I'm a competitive battler at heart so yeah...

Back