Pokemon of the Week

Because Dirge decided to add pre evolutions for a few, but since they aren't in the same post (exception is Meditite and Medicham), I linked to both.

I wish Game Freak would make a book filled with lore and interesting details about every Pokemon instead of barely releasing any info.

Pokehystoria? :lol: I'd buy that ****.

I've always liked most of the older Generation Dragon-types.

The all looked really cool besides Dragonite.

pokemon-gif-haters.gif

Latios is still the best dragon.

fix'd

Because Dirge decided to add pre evolutions for a few, but since they aren't in the same post (exception is Meditite and Medicham), I linked to both.

oh

Will fix that, should'a just asked. :p

Pokemon of OP's Birthday #1 (2/18/2013)

Happy birthday, ya *insult removed*.

Sharpedo, the Brutal Pokemon. Nicknamed "the Bully of the Sea," Sharpedo is widely feared. Sharpedo can swim at speeds of up to 75 mph by jetting seawater out of its backside. This Pokémon's drawback is its inability to swim long distances. Its cruel fangs rip through sheet iron, and grow back immediately if they snap off. Just one of these Pokémon can thoroughly tear apart an oil tanker.

Though I'm somewhat impartial t' the gameshark (like every other ****in' Water-type not named Magikarp lol), it certainly does have a cool design. Based on a shark turned torpedo, it's aesthetics are certainly set apart from other Water Pokes as well. I also feel Trollfreak executed Sharpedo's looks quite well overall, so for once, one'a Nick's favorite Pokes isn't some ridiculously strange or abnormal design most people hate with a passion. :trollkarp:

Competitively, things have always been tough for Sharpedo. In the beginnin', it's ridiculously bad defenses always held it back. It has good Sp.A and great Atk, but that's just not enough when it really isn't all-that fast (it's dex entries are retardedly misleading...) and has the defenses of sand paper. The fact that both'a it's STABs were Special back in Gen 3 only made things a lot worse. Of course, Gen 4's Physical-Special split helped with this, but STAB still isn't enough. So many glass cannons hit a LOT harder and may even have better defenses.

Gen 5 gave Sharpedo one last boon, however; and a very notable one at that; the ability Speed Boost via Dream World. Considering Blaziken was literally banned 'cause of said ability, Sharpedo's usability instantly jumped up a few notches. It's defenses are still too shoddy t' propel itself into OU, but it's good enough attack stats and this new ability at least make it a usable late-game sweeper... in OU. Down in the lower tiers, it easily bullies beaten 'n bruised teams into submission near the end of a battle. I know from first-hand experience... ... ...

Carvahna, the Savage Pokemon. It lives in massive rivers that course through jungles. Carvanha's strongly developed jaws and its sharply pointed fangs pack the destructive power to rip out boat hulls. Many boats have been attacked and sunk by this Pokémon. If anything invades Carvanha's territory, it will swarm and tear at the intruder in large numbers. Although it is said to be a very vicious Pokémon, it timidly flees as soon as it finds itself alone.

I prefer Sharpedo's design to Carvanha, in all honestly... though that's a given since the piranha-based pre-evolve has plenty'a red and yellow, two colors I just don't like. As for the flavor text, I like how Sharpedo evolves from a piranha that only has balls in a group, to a terrifyin' shark that'l sink a warship on it's own if it so much as crosses an invisible border int' it's territory. It changes from hive-minded gang tactics, likely initiated as a normal behavior outta cowardice, to a downright nasty bastard which fears absolutely ****-all. I also find it interestin' how, once it evolves and becomes based on a different aquatic animal species, it will likely migrate to the sea. Leaving it's previous pod of allies just to control larger territory shows how evolution turns it into that there bully of the sea.

Competitively, Carvanha is quite the glass cannon in Little Cup. It carved a place for itself (eh? ehh?!) in DPP LC. It had just the right moves and (offensive) stats to terrorize many things slower than it; and many things were indeed slower. BW only made Carvanha better with, you guessed it, the grand ability that is Speed Boost. So good in fact, Carvanha went the way of Blaziken and was swiftly banned from LC. How ironic the pre-evolve was twice as good as it's fully evolved form when comparing their performance in each's respective tiers.

Stunfisk, the [STRIKE]Trap[/STRIKE] Derpfish Pokemon. It conceals itself in the mud of the seashore. Then it waits. When prey touch it, it delivers a jolt of electricity. It smiles when transmitting electricity. When its opponent can't be paralyzed, it contorts itself with unexpected speed and flops away. Its skin is very hard, so it is unhurt even if stepped on by sumo wrestlers.

Admiral Ackbar 'n Nick clearly have two distinctively different tastes in Pokemon designs, ain't that for sure. :lol: Contrary t' popular belief, gazing into a Stunfisk does not cause me despair. I don't actually hate it with a passion. Lead ya on this entire time like with Sableye, Nick. :trollface:

Likely based on either the electric ray or (also quite ugly) Stargazer, Stunfisk is quite the strange fish-but-not-really. Aside from lookin' retardedly derpy, it's odd in every sense of the word. It's design is clearly aquatic based, but it ain't a Water-type. It's a Ground-type that derps about in bodies of water. And it can also remain airborne by flapping it's wimpy fins... ... ... Trollfreak were clearly takin' a piss when designin' Stunfisk. :lol: It's utterly odd 'n derptastic to boot. I can't fathom what the hell Ken Sugimori was thinkin' when makin' this absurd 'mon, but he certainly executed said absurdity well. When you see Stunfisk for the first time (and aren't a genwunner), you'll likely react with "lolwut" or "wtf"... I'd say the design was executed well in that regard, if that's what it's goin' for. I'm impartial to it, but I can certainly get behind how Stunfisk's aesthetics convey their purpose quite well. Also, it's a troll, so bonus points.

Competitively, Stunfisk's rather low BST has always held it back. Unique and useful typing only goes so far without impressive stats; the same can be said for it's good movepool. It definitely has it's place in NU for checking some dangerous threats, but as I've always said, NU's nothin' to be proud of. Though perhaps that'l change one day if it gets an (even stranger) evolution... eviolite would probably knock Stunfisk up a tier.

goin back 2 sleep nao lolbai

Maybe I should do a couple of PotW

*cough*

Will comment a bit.
It has good Sp.A and great Atk, but that's just not enough when it really isn't all-that fast (it's dex entries are retardedly misleading...) and has the defenses of sand paper.
Better then Pokemon that the Pokedex says fly at mach speed, while actually moving just a little faster then a bag of trash.
Down in the lower tiers, it easily bullies beaten 'n bruised teams into submission near the end of a battle. I know from first-hand experience... ... ...
>:3

Competitively, Stunfisk's rather low BST has always held it back. Unique and useful typing only goes so far without impressive stats; the same can be said for it's good movepool. It definitely has it's place in NU for checking some dangerous threats, but as I've always said, NU's nothin' to be proud of. Though perhaps that'l change one day if it gets an (even stranger) evolution... eviolite would probably knock Stunfisk up a tier.
Stunfisk actually has exceptional defensive stats. It has a pretty good movepool and can easily paralyze a lot of stuff with Static, Discharge, and Thunder Wave. I thinks its main problems are lack of reliable recovery (all it's got is Pain Split and Rest), and questionable defensive typing (Ground/Electric is decent defensive typing but it's much better offensively). I think Eviolite would only really help if Stunfisk got a better recovery move, you'll notice that all the Eviolite Pokemon RU or above have some way to recover their health aside from Pain Split. Well, aside from Dusclops, but its horrible HP makes Pain Split a lot more useful.

¬_¬

Stunfisk actually has exceptional defensive stats.

For NU... and I don't really think said stats are exceptional neither. Even for NU.

Eviolate ResTalk Fisk abusin' Discharge/Scald spam would be a right pain in the ass, I'd think. Spreadin' occasional status while bein' a bulky piece'a ****, dealing alright damage all the while.

I know more about base stats then you do, and I'm disagreeing. I must go to dinner now, so I suggest that you look at the Pokemon in OU and their defensive stats. It's true that some have better special defense or defense, but Stunfisk almost always has superior mixed bulk.

No, ya memorize more 'bout base stats than I do. I probably know more 'bout actual applications of said stats then you do ('less you've stepped your game up in the past year or so, anyways). :p And I certainly do know that mixed bulk is rarely all-that useful in OU, outside'a ****in' with Mixed wallbreakers.

njoy ur dinnar

Well, I can tell you that Vaporeon, Tyranitar (cause of Sand Stream), Tentacruel, Kyurem, Jellicent, Blissey, and Deoxys D are the only Pokemon in OU that have higher special bulk then Stunfisk. And aside from Tyranitar, Blissey, and maybe Deoxys they aren't that much more bulky on the special side then Stunfisk is.

For physical you've got Celebi, Cloyster, Conkeldurr, Deoxys D, Donphan, Dragonite, Ferrothorn, Forretress, Garchomp, Gliscor, Heatran, Kyurem, Magnezone, Metagross, Skarmory, and Tyranitar. And all of them aside from a few aren't that much better.

Its special bulk is superior to most OU Pokemon and its physical bulk is superior to a good portion of them. Which is why I say its defensive stats aren't what's holding it back. You can't really use the "mixed walls aren't that great" argument because Stunfisk has better special bulk then most Pokemon.

I'm not defending Stunfisk itself, I'm just defending its stats.

I'll still never understand how ya have that much **** memorized, 'Karp almighty... Wish my memory functioned so well. ._.;

I said Stunfisk's problem lies in it's BST, and I quite meant it. Many'a the Pokes you listed are not only as bulky or bulkier than Stunfisk, but hit a lot harder. If not, these Pokes (SkarmBliss, for example) are likely noticeably bulkier. If Stunfisk had 60 more points shoved into it's BST, when put in the right places, that'd go a long way. That's been my point.

I'm pretty sure what CK's point is, is that pokes go down so fast in OU defence don't matter.

(Excuse me, defense for all the 'MURICA peeps)

Back