Possible Connection without having Wireless..

GreyKirby

Fo-Weva Pink!
Sep 18, 2006
In The Real World
Hey guys. I was going thru a few things of he wii. They have 2 USB ports which means that you can use those usbports for many things -grins-
And i have rounded it up for people like me without wireless internet.. Is there an ethernet cord available that has USB plugs? If so this could mean connecting the wii to your internet having you./.. Having a conection to wiiconnect24!

GreyKirby said:
Hey guys. I was going thru a few things of he wii. They have 2 USB ports which means that you can use those usbports for many things -grins-
And i have rounded it up for people like me without wireless internet.. Is there an ethernet cord available that has USB plugs? If so this could mean connecting the wii to your internet having you./.. Having a conection to wiiconnect24!
wikipedia said:
Wii will be able to connect to the Internet through its built-in 802.11b/g Wi-Fi and through a USB-to-Ethernet adaptor, with both methods allowing players to access the established Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service.[1]
Source
Yep, I'm in the same position. Don't want to get wireless. Will get that Ethernet > USB cable instead.

Check the source on that wiki article. It links to Nintendo's specs which says
Nintendo Wii Specs said:
The Wii console communicates wirelessly with the Internet via IEEE 802.11 or a USB 2.0 LAN adaptor. Wii also can connect wirelessly with Nintendo DS.
Notice it says nothing about a USB to ethernet adapter. There is an adapter available for the DS right now, but it doesn't plug into the DS at all, it uses the USB ports on your computer. There are USB to Ethernet adapters common on the market, BUT they will not work on gaming consoles. They require PC drivers to run.

Squall7 said:
Source
Yep, I'm in the same position. Don't want to get wireless. Will get that Ethernet > USB cable instead.
I didn't use any Sourcfes i just thought about it while watchnig a Wii walkthrough video where they showed the 2 USB plugs and i was like :eek:!!!!
The thing is that I care about lttle internet why? because Wii has Internet,Download games with online-ness, Online games and such..!

Nintendo will make a poormans wireless router that connects to the Wii via USB and to your computer probably also by USB and that will connect the two wirelessly and you will have the interweb on your Wii.

Don't worry, Nintendo isn't stupid.

yea but the proiblem is that they want everyone to buy wireless WELL TOO BAD lol Thanks to them for the USB ports though i think the reason for those is for pictures and stuff but im gonna use this at my own advantage ;o
By the way i have an old USB ethernet cord that used to connect my 2 comps together For internet ( 2 computers 1 internet ) And i can use that :D I have a new one cause i moved my comp and we used a longer ethernet cord.. Ill have to find t he old one though

registerednerd said:
Notice it says nothing about a USB to ethernet adapter.
Hmm, they said "USB 2.0 LAN adaptor". Not sure if they mean wireless LAN adaptor like this:
45095i0.jpg

Or wired one's like this:
77_1.jpg

Although at one point is states: "The Wii console communicates wirelessly". Not sure if that was in reference to the IEEE thing or both...

There is an adapter available for the DS right now, but it doesn't plug into the DS at all, it uses the USB ports on your computer. There are USB to Ethernet adapters common on the market, BUT they will not work on gaming consoles. They require PC drivers to run.
Yup. Heard about those, but not sure how well it works. Personally, I hope they do give a wired option, otherwise it could be a potential opening for unwanted hackers, and even more likely have data-loss.

EDIT: I've just emailed Nintendo of Europe about this issue and am awaiting a response.

UPDATE: Word back from Nintendo of Europe. the thing was in reference to the wireless USB key type thing. Soz, looks like those of us who are wired will have to get the USB device before we can go online.

Last edited:
Squall7 said:
Hmm, they said "USB 2.0 LAN adaptor". Not sure if they mean wireless LAN adaptor like this:
45095i0.jpg

Or wired one's like this:
77_1.jpg

Although at one point is states: "The Wii console communicates wirelessly". Not sure if that was in reference to the IEEE thing or both...

Yup. Heard about those, but not sure how well it works. Personally, I hope they do give a wired option, otherwise it could be a potential opening for unwanted hackers, and even more likely have data-loss.

Umm here leme give you something else to add to that
10073153.gif

And this website with a bunch of them [Bestbuy.ca]
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?logon=&langid=EN&catid=21120

GreyKirby said:
yea but the proiblem is that they want everyone to buy wireless WELL TOO BAD lol Thanks to them for the USB ports though i think the reason for those is for pictures and stuff but im gonna use this at my own advantage ;o
By the way i have an old USB ethernet cord that used to connect my 2 comps together For internet ( 2 computers 1 internet ) And i can use that :D I have a new one cause i moved my comp and we used a longer ethernet cord.. Ill have to find t he old one though

Except as was already posted, PC wires won't work on the consoles.

But you aren't being forced to get wireless, you're just going to have to buy the adapter things from Nintendo which are wireless, but you won't need a wireless i-net connection.

You need that $40 thing you plug into a pc that has internet and broadcasts a wireless signal. Just so everyone knows, a wireless router is usually cheaper, this is only convenient if you live in a hotel or the congo.

you would be better off getting wireless, unless you have a really slow connection(512kbs or lower)

i have a wireless adapter for 360 cus mom said i couldn't hardwire it through several rooms that she ever goes in anyway, you'dd be better off getting a 802.11G router for $20

/end rant

pizzaluvr said:
you would be better off getting wireless, unless you have a really slow connection(512kbs or lower)

i have a wireless adapter for 360 cus mom said i couldn't hardwire it through several rooms that she ever goes in anyway, you'dd be better off getting a 802.11G router for $20

/end rant

i wouldn't reccoment one so cheap. i recently bought a $20 one and i can't get a signal through the wall. and even if i'm sitting close enough to touch it, my DS still can't connect sometimes. so if your gonna go for a wireless router i reccomend a $40 one at least just for quality purposes

Back