Possible solution for those w/ wifi connection problems

HBK

WiiChat Member
Nov 21, 2006
Hey guys I'm new. I got a suggestion for you people who have wireless connection problems. I'm not sure if it will solve your problems, but it's worth a try. I had similar problems with my ds a long time ago. I could not connect it with my wireless router. The SSID would show but that's it. Anyway I found this:

Does your router use 802.11g?
If your router uses 802.11g, it may default to only the "g" band. This setting will not work with the DS. Check your router's settings (typically in the "Wireless" tab) and make sure that it is set to "Auto," "Mixed," or something similar.

link: NintendoWIFI.com

So I hope it helps out you guys. I will be opening my wii soon. Peace.

Although that's for the DS (which only supports 802.11b), I've been having that problem with the wii as well. It seems it will not connect to a g-only network at all. I imagine this is the cause of most people's connection problems as i see the solution is usually to reset to default settings, which usually sets the router to mixed mode.

Hopefully this will get fixed with a firmware upgrade, as I'd rather use my own network than the usb dongle.

I wish Nintendo would have been more specific about the formats they support with their wifi. The box and the manuals only state 802.11 (no a/b/g). I must've tried for about an hour last night to hook it up to my G only network only to get the dreaded not conecting errors. It was endless frustration as I've got a bunch of other equipment hooked up wirelessly (XBox 360, Xbox, ReplayTV, etc) and I couldn't figure out why (started looking at ports and such).

I finally googled it and got it going in about 5 minutes after I reset one of my routers to mixed mode b/g. A lot of frustration that I think a lot of people are going to encounter.

I'm 100% sure the WiFi won't take a G-only based wireless router. That's what mine was set to. As soon as I switched my router to accept both B and G signals it immediately started to work and get the updates from online.

I'm glad i'm getting more confirmation about this, I was beginning to think i had a defective unit.

I'll try and see if i can't get thru to nintendo support this afternoon and get a response about this. Hopefully this will get taken care of in a software update.

EDIT: I've sent an email thru to Nintendo support:

"Hi, Ive been testing my wii with my wireless network, and it seems Im unable to get it to connect when using g-only mode on my router.

To clarify, Ive tested my router using no security (ie making it open), and find that the wii will connect when using mixed mode (b/g) but will not when using g-only. I also make sure to clear the connection settings on the wii before a test. Ive talked to many others who have had similar experiences.

So my question is if the wii should be able to work on a g-only wireless network? If it should, then is this a known issue and will there be a fix? If not, could it possibly be something that will be added in the future?"

I'll let you guys know if i hear back from them.

Last edited:
hello i need help talking to the people online on call of duty 4 for my nintendo wii console.is there a way you can talk to people online on that game?get back to me ok.thanks

I need help please. I have super fast internet but, when I play Black Ops or MW3 I will have 3 bars then randomly it changes to 1 bar for like 2 minutes then back to 3 bars. I hate this very much. Please, do you guys have any ideas?

Back