Possible to Backup Wii games yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, you do NOT have to ask Nintendo's permission to make a PERSONAL back up of any IP (nintendo's or thrid party). In the US (and many other countries as the US' biggest export lately is laws) you have fair use laws. Those laws state (among other things) that you can make a personal back up copy and that you can "time shift" broadcasts. You do not need anyone's permission to do either of these two activities as you already have the force of law giving you those options.

Secondly, unless your Nintendo game disc damage was caused by a manufacturing defect, or other reason that is caused BY NINTENDO, they are under no obligation to replace your broken game disc. Sure they may replace it for you when your cat, dog, brother, sister, son or daughter breaks it. But they do NOT have to.

IP laws mimic (as close as possible) all other merchant laws. If you hit a tree, GM won't send you a new car, however if a manufacturing defect is found, they issue a recall and fix the issue for free. In IP law the media doesn't matter. Your not buying a polycarbonate disc with a layer of silver and ink, your buying rights to what data is contained on said disc. In most countries, these laws allow personal (that means ONLY for you, and you must destroy that copy if you sell or otherwise get rid of the original) archival copies. Manufacturers are under no obligation to assist you in making that back up, but thay also can not prevent you (legally) from doing so. Thats why you see so much DRM. They can lock up that data all they want on the media, but if you manage to find a way to remove the DRM and make a copy (again for archival purposes) they can not sue you for copyright infringment.

Furthermore, if you are not profitting from the distribution of infringed IP, the only penalties are civil. If you notice, the RIAA and MPAA are directly suing file sharers, none of them are going to jail. None of them are up on criminal charges. They are being sued in civil court seeking damages related to the unlawfull (very different from illegal) distribution of Intellectual Property.

Although Ridewithme38's question may not be allowed here due to forum policies, nothing she is asking is "illegal", immoral or even in a grey area. She is asking how to protect her property (the game media with the game data on it) that she purchased legally. And as a side note, that is a question we should all be asking seeing how many corporations are trying to reduce or eliminate rights that we have been given. If you don;t know your rights, how can you fight to keep them?

Ok who cares if its illegal first off. As you know you need a modchip which arn't that expensive. Yes you can back-up the games, but there is no software program to do it for you yet. The downloadable rips that you may have seen available for download took a great amount of time and effort to crack.

miiplaywii said:
Ok who cares if its illegal first off. As you know you need a modchip which arn't that expensive. Yes you can back-up the games, but there is no software program to do it for you yet. The downloadable rips that you may have seen available for download took a great amount of time and effort to crack.

because in this forum you are not aloud to post about illgal hacks,crack etc.. they can get hit for the information you provide.. it ended up taking a turn when we got into the legallity of copying for personal use.

the judgments lately have made this all kinda fishy because for the longest time you could always make copys of what you bought aslong as it was for yourself and noone else.. where lately because of so many bootleg rings they have been making this harder to do... judgements have gone eaither way on it but in the end the only part of the law that hasnt been changed is the fact that you have the right to have a copy... but read up on all the new postings for FBI copyright enforcement just to be sure... there are plenty of cases where people have been fined because they didnt get permission first to make a copy... heck there were churches in my town fined for displaying the super bowl without express permission...

wezeles said:
not always true.. just because you make a program that is made to make a copy of say a dvd, or game it is not up to you to get the rights to make the copy of the dvd or game.. its up to the person with that specific game or dvd.. thats why there are so many different dvd,game ripping programs all over.. its not there job to get the rights to copy that would be your own... this battle has been going back and forth in supreme court "i own it i should be able to copy it for my own use" "its my program they cant copy it without my permission they might sell it" the latest rulling forces the companys to give you access to a duplicate of the information you purchased... but it is up to the company who made that information to determin what they are willing to do be it let you make a copy or give you a copy when yours is damaged... eaither way you need permission from the person who owns that information... just give nintendo a call see what they say... if they wont let you copy it by law they have to supply you with a new copy if yours is damaged... this is just for the united states every country has there own rules for copyright laws... some none at all...
I'll repeat this:
Are Game Copying Devices Illegal?

Yes. Game copiers enable users to illegally copy video game software onto floppy disks, writeable compact disks or the hard drive of a personal computer. They enable the user to make, play and distribute illegal copies of video game software which violates Nintendo's copyrights and trademarks. These devices also allow for the uploading and downloading of ROMs to and from the Internet. Based upon the functions of these devices, they are illegal.

Every time I load up a DVD it tells me it's illegal to evade the copyright protection. The only way I can take information from the disk is to do just that, ergo, it's illegal.

And every time you watch a sporting event on TV it tells you that it is illegal to describe the sporting event. Just because a producer of IP tells you it is illegal, doesn't mean it is. Listen to laws NOT corporations.

Also, I can easily, legally copy a DVD without breaking the CSS encryption. Breaking the CSS encryption is illegal under the DMCA, copying the contents of a DVD (with CSS encryption intact) is perfectly legal, again as long as it is for your own personal archival purposes.

I'll say this again (because people need to understand this) DO NOT LISTEN TO CORPORATIONS FOR LEGAL ADVICE, CONSULT THE LAWS (or better yet a IP attorney). Corporations can and will tell you what protects their interests, not yours.

Wow this has gotten confusing...so we're pretty sure its legal to backup a copy of a game you own...as long as you own it...

BUT its against forum rules to talk about how to do that because the forum rules specificly state
18. No Warez
Posting up and asking for illegal warez is strictly prohibited. This includes but is not limited to: ROMs, isos, and game cracks. Violation of this Rule will usually result anywhere from a Warning to a Ban, depending on the offence.

Cool...not illegal to do but illegal to make software that can do it...kind of the same thing with modchips...the modchips are illegal its the software thats on them that is

Squall7 said:
I'll repeat this:

Every time I load up a DVD it tells me it's illegal to evade the copyright protection. The only way I can take information from the disk is to do just that, ergo, it's illegal.

thats the point it gives you the option... weather you got the right to do it from the producer of the content is up to you.. its just like warnings on limewire,bareshare,etc.. this may be an illegal copy do you want to download it... your choice not theres... thats why that pops up to save there butt from even getting involved...

now whats all this talk about a modchip? why would you need a modchip to make a copy? has anyone found out what the wii games are encoded with? is it the same as gamecube games? there is no need for a modchip to make a copy of a gamecube game..
the safest way to make a copy is a direct copy of the game,dvd,cd your not permited to tamper or crack there code by law, but most copy software just makes a duplicate of what you already have, and thats legall...if you need a modchip to run it your already getting yourself into trouble...

Interesting discussion. It's still not completely clear to me though what's legal and what's not. But, I can certainly relate to Ridewithme38's predicament. And in my opinion, making backups are a necessity. Legal or not, I'm doing it and will continue to do it. I need to.

Why? Well, our youngest is nearly 2 years old and he's now learning to "operate" the DVD player. So far, he's already messed up 2 DVD's. Cars, I was able to make a backup of. But for Ice Age, I wasn't quick enough which means I now need to buy it again. A few others have considerable scratches and I'm not sure how much longer they'll last.

If you consider that Wii games are at least double the price of DVDs then it makes perfect sense (at least for parents with small kids) to make backups.

Sorry for the ramble but some thing's you've just got to do.

Maleko said:
And every time you watch a sporting event on TV it tells you that it is illegal to describe the sporting event. Just because a producer of IP tells you it is illegal, doesn't mean it is. Listen to laws NOT corporations.

Also, I can easily, legally copy a DVD without breaking the CSS encryption. Breaking the CSS encryption is illegal under the DMCA, copying the contents of a DVD (with CSS encryption intact) is perfectly legal, again as long as it is for your own personal archival purposes.

I'll say this again (because people need to understand this) DO NOT LISTEN TO CORPORATIONS FOR LEGAL ADVICE, CONSULT THE LAWS (or better yet a IP attorney). Corporations can and will tell you what protects their interests, not yours.
That's the best post I've seen on this subject.

Oh look a thread that got bumped up by a noob dont see that often

Ok this is getting a bit nuts with everyone copying from sh*t they google without understanding everything. What it all basically states is that you can do it as long as you don't profit from it. If you copy/bootleg/resale as your own and claim it as your own then it's infringement and STEALING. So can you legally make a back up copy? yes you may at the expense that you do not resale or distribute without an authorized consent meaning NINTENDO. As for the television shows of course you can tape and record those, as long as you DO NOT RESALE for a profit of your own. If you already own it, you made your contribution, if you want to make a copy for your own do it just don't resale to profit on it. plain and simple.

Dont raise old threads from there slumber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back