Power Supply buzz in standby

andymcc

WiiChat Member
Nov 17, 2007
I bought a Wii from Amazon.de last week, everything's working great but I noticed a very slight buzz from the grey brick when the Wii is on standby, when I turn the Wii on to play on it the buzz stops. I know some transformers can do this but can anyone give me any info on this, does it happen to all adapters.

I'm tempted to just buy a new adapter from ebay that way I'll have a true 3 prong plug but I'm unsure of the power difference as the Wii brick says it's 230V~50Hz 50W, 12V 3.7A and the all the ones on ebay say 100-240V. Also I'm weary of using third party parts even though I think my warranty is probably void using a German Wii in the UK. Having said that if anyone knows of anywhere reliable to get a new power supply could you let me know please, thanks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
I can tell you for certain that my power brick does not make any noise when the Wii is on standby and off. If you look on Nintendos website, they state the possibility of faulty A/C adapters, which means yours could just be faulty.

This is off of Nintendo.com
# try resetting the AC adapter.

1. Unplug/remove all accessories from the system (including game discs, SD Cards, memory cards, Nintendo GameCube controllers, hookup cables, the AC Adapter, and Sensor Bar) from the outlet and Wii.
2. Let the system rest for about 90 seconds. While you're waiting, check to see that controller cords, AC Adapter, and Stereo AV cables/Component Video cables are not frayed or have exposed wires (this can cause the system to shut off); if so, you should replace those parts.
3. After the 45 seconds, Plug the AC Adapter into the system and wall outlet. Check to see if the power light on the Power button comes on.

* If the power does not come on, a repair will be necessary. Because it is not possible to determine which item (Wii console or A/C Adapter) needs repair, please call our Consumer Service Department at 1-800-255-3700 to discuss available options, or click here to e-mail us.

The end of that shows that this issue is obviously intended to help those not getting any power, but I figured its worth a try. Otherwise call them at this number: 1-800-255-3700, and let them know. Considering its making a noise that could reflect a potential safety hazard, I'm sure they will be willing to help you out with a free replacement.

KyleForMe said:
Considering its making a noise that could reflect a potential safety hazard, I'm sure they will be willing to help you out with a free replacement.

+1

When power supplies "buzz" they're either broken or about to be. :yikes:

Why risk a housefire?

Thanks for the help guys, my only problem is that because I bought the Wii from Amazon.de and I live in the UK I dont think Nintendo UK would swap the power supply and I dont have a clue how long it would take sending it to Germany especially as it gets close to Christmas.

Ok my wii does exactly the same thing but I never thought much of it .
I have had it for about 8 months and its always on and seems fine but after hearing that this isnt normal ill probly look into getting another lead .

andymcc said:
Thanks for the help guys, my only problem is that because I bought the Wii from Amazon.de and I live in the UK I dont think Nintendo UK would swap the power supply and I dont have a clue how long it would take sending it to Germany especially as it gets close to Christmas.
You could call them and ask.

Mailing Deutschland shouldn't take too long but the fees might be :yikes: .

And really the buzzmight not ever be a problem, but I'd want to be safe. Are you using a 220v Powersupply or a transformer and 110v?

Thanks everyone for the advice, I've been trying to get through to nintendo by phone all day, so far no luck.
The mains supply is UK so i think it's 210-240V and my nintendo power supply is the european 230v model.

I've just spoken to nintendo, they said that although I purchased my Wii from Germany and it has a european power supply the machine is still the same and they can just swap my power supply for a UK one which is great news, the only problem is the 2 week wait without my Wii while I send off my power supply :(

Yeah that sucks, but I figured they would be more than willing to replace for free. Sucks that they can't just send you a new one, but obviously that would be an easy scam. Hopefully you've got another system to keep you entertained.

Back