Pro Evolution Soccer 2009

AutumnWind

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Feb 1, 2008
Seattle
Wii Online Code
5820-3895-0352-0420
Woo, PES2009 is finally out for Wii!

I got it earlier, and I've been playing it... I'm really happy to see the return of the Master League. Also, it's great to see that Konami have added so many things. Edit mode is back to its full capacity and player attributes are detailed again, online play is even more powerful with different modes and the ability to add opponents as 'Rivals' in addition to the friends list.

Another really remarkable point is that there is actually an in-game download service to update rosters and players via the internet... it may be standard on other consoles, but for the Wii, this is excellent.

Add to that the continued development of the innovative motion controls plus added support for classic controls and four player support, and PES 2009 for Wii, is in my opinion the best soccer game to come out in a long while.

Champions League licensing just adds to the flair of the whole experience, and I'm really enjoying it so far. PES 2008 was just a taste, a test run, of what Konami has in store for PES on Wii... PES 2009 is a true evolution. :D

Just my thoughts. Anyone else have this game or plan on getting it?

EDIT: I'll just shamelessly plug my PES2009 Friend code thread here too: PES2009 FCs here

Last edited:
I got my copy yesterday from Amazon, and only had time to do the tutorials on the 'new' controls, and play an exhibition match (which ended in penalty kicks after extended time).

The first thing that struck me was how much better my team's defensive A.I. was! That was really my only complaint with last year's version, and I think they've pretty much nailed it here. Plus, they've added more control over individual defensive players.

I didn't realize this allowed for updated rosters via Wi-Fi; I'll have to check that out!

Yeah, defense really was a shambles last time, but this time it is indeed a lot better. I also like the new shooting controls when using the Wii remote and nunchuk. That said, I'm mostly an old-school type person when it comes to PES and I stick to the Classic Controller. :p

Went online last night (servers seem to be a bit slow atm) and played a guy from the Ivory Coast. Pretty dang awesome, and added him as a 'Rival' later.

goheat, go post your friend code in the FC thread! add me and tell me or something! :)

Wow, I'm happy its finally out! I don't have it yet but am totally planning to get it. I liked PES 2008 a lot, and love FIFA 2009 aswell, so I really have a lot of expectations for this one and now that I read of you that already have it, I am more motivated to get it :)

Definitely get it! Tell all your friends to get it too! haha, the more people that get it, the more people I can play online... ;D

i wouldnt mind picking this up.

would need to spend a lot of time getting the hang of it before going online tho. last soccer game i spent any decent time on was fifa 2000

If you do pick it up, lemme know, I can give you pointers and such. Plus, the in-game tutorial system is very comprehensive and teaches you everything from the basics to really advanced techniques, step by step.

I got PES 2009 yesterday. It plays exactly like PES 2008, but with some new moves. The flaws from PES 2008 appear still to be there - i.e., a player will stand and not move to the ball, despite the ball being in spitting distance.

It seems to be that its far easier to score by headers via corner kicks than PES 2008, I hope I'm wrong. Any one else noticed this?

I'm disappointed that the difficultly level hasn't been increased ( I'm playing on Professional level ) . The CPU still can't score in a brothel - missing sitters when they should be goals.

The new play modes, Master League and Champions League are great and certainly extend the game...

AutumnWind -> just go through the tutorial and learn at least the basic moves. The controls are very easy once you get the hang of it and come naturally in-game.

The Wii type controls make PES a totally unique footy game: I now find it very hard to play football games on other platforms with traditional controls: they are just too constraining. The straight jacket has been removed with the Wii style controls.

i got mine from amazon too...it rocks
82(2).gif
\m/

Eh, stewart01, why you telling me to go through the tutorial to learn the controls? :p I have... What I meant was that I still play mostly with traditional controls, probably because I'm lazy and because I've played Winning Eleven like that for years. I can't make nearly as many cool plays, but I do sometimes use the motion controls too and yeah, it's great. Anyway, occasionally I also have the problem of a player standing still while the ball is right next to him, but I've had that problem in almost every football game I've ever played...

That all said, I still suggest you guys go post your friend codes so we can all play online sometime. ;D

I agree. I definitely expected the score to at least be 9+, as this game is one of the best on Wii... that said, an IGN review is still an IGN review, and it did still get Editor's Choice, which is somewhat a big deal since this game seems to be getting almost zero publicity so far this year.

Last edited:
Back