Probable Hardware Problem/Power on/No signal/Black screen

spirittoo

WiiChat Member
Nov 25, 2011
Ohio
:wiisystem:I was about to hit a few balls in the baseball training, then all of a sudden I got nothing but a mesh of frozen colors on the screen. Nothing would work.:cryin: I tried to turn the wii off, but it would not power down unless I held the power switch for a few seconds or disconnect the power.
When I turn it on the eject works, but the blue light is not on when the disc is inserted ... I hear the disk spinning ... I just can't get a signal. Nothing but a black screen.:nono:

I figure there is some kind of hardware failure, but I don't know what, and I would like to find out in the hopes of getting and replacing the part myself. The wii is no longer under warranty. And I can't afford to have nintendo fix it. Can anyone help me with this problem?:frown2:

Mod edit: No text size abuse.

I'm not as young as I use to be ... it's hard for me to read the small text. What is considered abuse? Just having larger text?

Last edited:
try unhooking ALL cords from the wii for ten minutes and try again. you say you can't afford nintendo repairs when I'm sure a local shop might do it for cheap... and for that matter a used wii is like 10 cent bubble gum now and you might have a wii that died of old age naturally.

Been there done that

try unhooking ALL cords from the wii for ten minutes and try again. you say you can't afford nintendo repairs when I'm sure a local shop might do it for cheap... and for that matter a used wii is like 10 cent bubble gum now and you might have a wii that died of old age naturally.

Hello, thanks for posting. I've had the wii totally unhooked for over a day and it still will not work ... and no I can not afford repairs ... I'm sure it's going to be way more than me fixing it my self. And since I have no steady income coming in at this time paying to have it fixed is out of the question. The wii that are cheap on ebay are as is and usually not working with no returns.The wii I have is only two years old. It should last longer than that if its a good product.

As a stated before it's a good bet there is hardware failure and I need help to find out what failed. If anyone reading this post can help me with that please post.
:yesnod:

Is this considered text size abuse? It sure is a lot easier for me to read though.

Mod edit: It certainly is easier to read for those with poor eyesight, but is unnecessary since anyone who has such problems can zoom in for bigger text. So yes, enlarging a large amount of a post's text is considered text size abuse. No harm done of course, just please refrain from doing so anymore.

Also, glad you managed to fix your Wii. =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Working wii now ...

Well sir ... once I got my screwdriver and had a look inside, I saw nothing wrong. The bluetooth and the wi-fi were properly seated. I ordered a bluetooth from ebay for under $7 installed it, got the same results:sick: ... the wi-fi would have cost me another $15 to the door from ebay, but I was worried it would not solve the problem.

So I decided to bid on a
wii console that wasn't working. That way I'd have all the parts I need to get the wii going again. I won the bid and got the wii for under $16 to the door. This wii had a bad drive so instead of replace the wi-fi in the one I had to see if it worked ... I replaced the drive in it with the one with no signal. And there you have it. Working wii again :) I also got some more channels ... don't know what they do, but I have more of them.

Oh and I got rid of all those tri
wing screws, they strip pretty easy and only cause problems.

With the research I did on the black screen of death, it was suppose to be either the bluetooth, wi-fi, motherboard or a corrupt NAND.

It was easier to replace the drive than try and figure out which part it needed for the BSOD problem. Therefore I still don't know what the problem was but the main point is I have a working wii again. For those looking for a solution to the orginal problem sorry, but it did boil down to those four possibilities.
:yesnod:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back