Problem reading game CD's

Robotnik

The Good Doctor
Aug 13, 2007
United States
My wii has recently begun having a problem reading game CD's. Before it sounded a little gargled each time a CD was inserted and it began reading them, and eventually it developed to a point in which each every time a CD has been inserted, it searches for it for a while then displays a black message along the lines of "The wii can not read this disc. Please turn off your wii, and turn it on again." At this point, the wii can't even go back to the wii menu, it must simply be turned off. Anyone have any advice or heard of this problem before?

That's what I was thinking, I was also wondering if there were any specific ones that were safe for the wii, or if any were known to damage wiis? The other thing that alarmed me tho, was the clicking noise, because that, at least to me, might mean something more than a dusty laser. Thanks tho

I had the exact same problem. If it's happening across more than one disc, then it's a faulty disc drive. In my case the problems progressively got worse as time went by.

The only way to resolve this is to phone up Nintendo. They will then either attempt to repair the Wii, or they will issue you with a replacement.

My case is still in progress, and I am waiting for a brand new Wii from Nintendo after they failed to repair my Wii on two separate occasions within the past month.

My advice would be to contact Nintendo ASAP.

best of luck

Just a follow up to anyone interested. I looked around for a disc cleaner for a bit but had no luck so ended up contacting Nintendo. Nintendo was real cool about it, surprisingly my Wii was still under warranty so they gave me a free shipping label and such to send it back to get fixed. They say it'll take from 11-15 business days, not bad at all. Overall I was really impressed with the way they handled the situations, and would reccomend people not hesitate before contacting Nintendo, great people to deal with.

Back