Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

problem w/super mario bros. 1

Discussion in 'Virtual Console, WiiWare and DSIWare' started by MIDIevil, Apr 26, 2007.

1. MIDIevil

MIDIevil MarioKart is Wiisistance

Wii Friend Code: 0695-5263-8001-1456
    0695-5263-8001-1456
    last night my girlfriend beat smb1 for the first time since download. now when you start a new game, all the goombas are replaced with buzzy beetles, severely ramping up the difficulty on what we purchased as a casual game.

i seem to remember (been awhile) this is just what the game normally does when you beat it, but whereas on the nes you could just reset the system to bring back the goombas, the vc suspends play rather than completely resetting the software. in fact, when we do try to reset the software through the wii, the high score (and beetles) remain.

this is unacceptable! it's fun if you're looking for a challenge, but like i said, we got this one for casual, nostalgia-based play, and what i'm looking for is a way to set this thing back to its original state.

2. Dialtone75

Dialtone75 WiiChat Member

Try copying it off to your SD card and then back to your main memory.

3. sherlocktheholmes

sherlocktheholmes Grand Master of Funk

If I understand how the VC works correctly, you can delete the game and go back to re-download it through Wii Shop. Wii Shop remembers what games you downloaded and will let you download it again (only on the same Wii of course). This should work, and it is probably the only way you can "reset" a game right now. Definitely is kind of a hassle to have to do this though, and Nintendo should have thought of including a reset function without having to delete and re-download the game...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Napalmbrain

Napalmbrain WiiChat Member

There's a simpler way to reset it- just switch off the console while playing the game (i.e. don't quit to the main menu).

5. danib62

danib62 WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 1397-0239-2531-7162
    1397-0239-2531-7162
    You could also just hit the reset button.

6. Byuakuya

Byuakuya Bleach & Heroes fan.

I think thats a good idea.

7. Major Tom

Major Tom Uss Clan *****

Wii Friend Code: 5935-0595-2673-3600
    5935-0595-2673-3600
    Just shut it off while your playing SMB. (Pull the power plug out) It'll reset it.

8. IcedEarth81

IcedEarth81 WiiChat Member

There is a reset - if you hit the home button while playing a vc game this is a reset button next to the wii menu button.

9. MIDIevil

0695-5263-8001-1456
    let me repeat: "when we do try to reset the software through the wii, the high score (and beetles) remain."

this has been done using the reset on the home button menu AND the system reset button on the front of the wii, with the same results. the only things i've not yet tried are pulling the plug (which i haven't done since setting up my wireless connection, and was hoping not to have to do) and deleting/re-downloading the game (which i'm about to try, crossing fingers...), both of which sound a little iffy, though i'm sure you follks know what you're talking about. thx folx.

10. Major Tom

Major Tom Uss Clan *****

Wii Friend Code: 5935-0595-2673-3600
    5935-0595-2673-3600
    Unplugging the Wii wont affect your internet settings. I unplugged my Wii all the time. (Internet Channel Trial crashes)

11. MIDIevil

0695-5263-8001-1456
    okay, for the record, deleting and redownloading the game did NOT work, but one thing did, something i feel stupid for not thinking of in the first place: deleting the 1-block save file. duh.

so, if anyone else runs into this problem, that's the fix. thx to all who offered input.

EDIT: btw, i didn't have any problems with any saved info of any sort the last time i did unplug the wii, but that definitely falls under the "last-ditch" category; the unpredictability of cutting power like that makes me nervous. like, sure it didn't screw anything up before, but what if, what if...

as far as not affecting internet settings, in a way, that's inaccurate, inasmuch as my connection didn't fully take until after i'd unplugged everything at least once (still don't know what was up with that, but it could have just been a router problem). since that moment, though, i've had no issues, so unplugging hasn't been necessary so far.

anyway, it wasn't necessary for this problem, so...yeah.

#11 MIDIevil, Apr 26, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  12. Napalmbrain

Napalmbrain WiiChat Member

I can't believe not one of us thought of that. We really are stupid! :lol:

13. dmo

dmo WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 5073-8087-6023-3487
    5073-8087-6023-3487
    Thanks for the fix! I was having the same problem, and hadn't considered that SMB would even have a saved game file. Its an easy enough workaround, shouldn't be much of an inconvenience.

Still, it would be nice if there was an option on the game start screen on the Wii home menu, maybe separate "Start" and "Resume" buttons.

14. MIDIevil

0695-5263-8001-1456
    yeah, i'm in favor of some regular interface-type updates to expedite all that stuff. if they're smart, they'll keep streamlining the system software and hopefully make the interface customizable at some point. not all setup options work for everyone, and people tend to want to personalize things. they're in a position to satisfy that impulse.