Problem with Component + Zelda

SimonGRC

WiiChat Member
Dec 24, 2006
I just bought the Wii component cable yesterday. I was so eager to get it after hearing so good feedback on how everything (especially Zelda) looks so much better. Ok I plugged it in and Everything looked ok, including Wii sports, but Zelda... It's looking way too dark. When the game starts at the default brightness settings I was using, the "grayscale boxes" at the beginning look all black.

After experimenting a bit I noticed all the dark areas look way too dark and all the bright areas look way too bright. If I raise the brightness of my tv so I can see the dark areas (and see the grayscale boxes), all the bright areas start to look white... I tried to tweak my tv but it's no good, everything looks too dark and if I try to raise the brightness just a bit all the bright areas are light-struck, and I can't play like this. I'll have to plug back in the composite cable to play.
It could be my tv, or my cable, or my wii or the zelda disc... I just hope it can be fixed!

I'm trying to figure out if anyone else experiences the same problem because after giving it a go on Google I didn't find a thing.
Any tips would be most appreciated as well.

I have a 32" Samsung LE32R32B TV with 1000:1 contrast.

tell me how u feel when u used A/V cable instead.

was dark area too dark just like when u used component?

and was bright area too bright?

if not, it's just ur component cable.

it could be even better if u use ur digital camera and show us how it really looks.

BTW, most of the areas (In twilit) are ment to be practically blindingly white, its ment to create the illusion of Twilit, duh XD

If whites are too white and blacks are too black, then changing the brightness is the last thing you'll want to do. Instead, lower the contrast on your TV so there won't be such a difference between black and white and then you can change the brightness a bit. Just to let you know though, component cables are supposed to make blacks even blacker and whites very crisp and white, but they're also supposed to make colors way more vibrant. Try changing the color and tint on your TV as well.

Hope that helped.:)

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions :).
I tried again to configure my tv accordingly, this time focusing on contrast and colour but it won't do any good. It makes the colours look more or less washed out but won't flatten out the "brightness width". Contrast also makes the image a bit darker when reduced, like reducing the brightness a bit but won't help with the problem.

To answer JoonKimDDS' question, the composite cable worked normally.
I took some pictures in case it makes sense.

Here's the Composite at the brightness screen:

And here's the component at the brightness screen, with same tv settings:

As you can see the bright colours look normally but you can't really tell the grayscale boxes appart. If I raise the brightness so I can barely tell appart the last 2 grayscale boxes, then I won't be able to tell appart the brighter colours.

2 more, again the dark colours are all black and can't tell them appart, and at the same time, the bright colours are brighter:
Composite, same tv settings:

Component:

I also sent a mail to nintendo tech support... shouldn've thought better and provide them with pictures too! Oh well...

Any ideas?
Thanks and Merry Christmas! :)

Last edited:
Unfortunatelly that couldn't be the issue since the TV auto recognizes the sources and it recognized it as a component source. There is no other channel I can view the Wii from.

Well if the composite cables work fine surely this is telling you that there's either a)something wrong with the component In on your tv or b)your cables are screwed. I'd say return the cables, say they're broken and get a new set and try them.

Taero said:
Well if the composite cables work fine surely this is telling you that there's either a)something wrong with the component In on your tv or b)your cables are screwed. I'd say return the cables, say they're broken and get a new set and try them.
Yeah I agree with Taero and if the next set of component cables you get (I'd say get them from a different company if you can) give you the same problem, you could go with s-video instead. It won't give you progressive scan nor true 16:9 widescreen, but it's the closest you will get and it should still look quite a bit better than the composite cables. Hope it works out.:(

wow...I agree from your pictures that it's a really serious issue!
it's even bigger issue than i imagined.

1 thing i can tell u from my experience is that i used S-video for my gamecube. It looked good for my normal TV. When I bought HDTV, i was so happy that I connected GC to HDTV using the same s-video. Unfortunately, it came out to be freaking dark just like ur component. I had to take a pictures and show it to people and most of them said my HDTV doesn't like s-video or something. So I am still using S-video and Gamecube on my old TV even though I have HDTV. BUT, it's not because my HDTV sux or something. It looks so good when i use component + xbox360.

my conclusion was that there is no problem with s-video, gamecube, component, and my xbox360. The problem is just that my HDTV doesn't like s-video even though it has s-video input.

I don't wanna say ur HDTV doesn't like component cable since that sounds so depressing.

Just double check that u connected red, blue, green, white, yellow correctly.
if u connected red, but then if u swapped blue and green, it only supports red color, thus the only thing u will see is red. so please double check.

Hi, Ive got the exact same problem with my 37inch LG lcd. Nothing will sort out the contrast in the darker areas. Did you find out what was causing it, I have tried official and 3rd party component leads with no success:mad2:

ok are we all sure that you have configured the wii to use 480p on 16.9 widescreen?
I've always got to ask that.
I was thinking about getting a componet cable, but the Wii just don't have true HD out put, and i think thats why there has been issues with it, plus i herd there has been gpu overheating issues, causing odd picture quality.

I think its my TV, I bought a THX component cable for my dvd player and am getting the same results, so time to return the TV!

hey guys.

same problem here, with my 37'' LG.

Tried it at my friends house and everything is fine so definately the TV HOWEVER the xbox 360 works fine on my TV ???

Call LG yesterday but they were rubbish not sure what to do really :(

Back