Problem with the Wii's 480p EDTV redsolution

KsMuffin

WiiChat Member
Apr 18, 2007
Hi, I am an owner of a RCA Home Theatre tv, it's 52". More info regarding my tv can be found here:

http://support.rca.com/faqs.html?&n...39&selectedFamily=generic&deviceId=198&nvty=m

Anyways, I recently purchased some component cables for Hi-res gamming.

This set of cables were made by Psyclone ESSENTIALS.

Ok so I tune my channel to Input 2, where the component cables are. The Wii is running fine, the cables are sending information in regular resolution. So I goto Wii options to turn on my 480p. The minute it's on a black bar goes through the screen vertically and my tv acts like there's nothing connected to the tv. The sound from the cables are still making it through but I can't resolve this problem. :|

My hypothesis is when I turn on the options the cables start sending DiV signals I think? And the tv is blocking them due to its not set up, or there might be a set-up/option iam missing.

Please, any information towards fixing my problem is greatly appreciated!!! :thumbsup:

You have to have something setup incorrectly as far as the cables go. This is the kind of thing that happens when you have a device setup to display in a resolution the cables won't allow it to.

Are you sure the component cables are hooked up correctly? Perhaps you have the two reds switched around?

Im pretty sure the red cables are in the right spot, I'll switch them around to see.

EDIT: When I switch them, the speakers on my tv make a "rrrrrrr" sound, when I switch back it stops.

But as far as I know I haven't set up anything on my tv about hi-res.

I looked at RCA's website for the owners manual since I don't have mine, I couldn't find the info I was looking there.

You said the device has to allow it, maybe that's the problem?

Last edited:
I don't know, try using a different set of component cables. It's very possible that your brand of cables AREN'T compatible with your TV.

a30993 said:
I don't know, try using a different set of component cables. It's very possible that your brand of cables AREN'T compatible with your TV.

Why would any brand of cables not be compatible with an RCA tv....

And to the OP, I don't know why you would have to change a setting on the tv. If you have it on the correct input then it should automatically detect the resolution.

I saw the Wii menu for like 3 seconds, now the tv is making white horizontal bars soar downward on the tv. :sick:

I would just google around about wii on your specific tv I guess. I am not sure what the problem is because I have used like 3 different Psyclone brand component cables for the wii and never had any problems with them.

Your t.v. doesn't seem to have support for 480p. It's standard definition so 480i is the best your going to get. But the component cables will still give you a cleaner picture even at the same resolution so good buy anyways.

JackDaniel said:
Your t.v. doesn't seem to have support for 480p. It's standard definition so 480i is the best your going to get. But the component cables will still give you a cleaner picture even at the same resolution so good buy anyways.

Oh well, that's still good to know. ^^

It was a good buy too, cause this will support the 360,ps3 and ps2.

JackDaniel said:

Ok wow ya I just looked up the TV and your right this tv is about 6 years old and doesn't seem to have support for 480p.

Muff, you can always give those cables to me.. I could use 'em ;)

I'll give you B&W 2 back when you get your new comp.

a30993 said:
Muff, you can always give those cables to me.. I could use 'em ;)

I'll give you B&W 2 back when you get your new comp.

Apparently a lot of people including myself have that cable. It's pretty cheap I got it for $20 at wal-mart.

Yeah, But I have an ass of a dad. He doesn't want the comp. cables. Even if I want to buy them. He doesn't even give me allowance anymore, He owes me over 200$ of it so far... pissing me off.

Back