problems of the 21st century

skidmarx

semi-pro thumb jockey
May 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Wii Online Code
5556-6677-7123-4567
a philosophy/psychology/sociology/antropology/history thread.

not that you need any formal education at all, just keep the comments "click-worthy." possible topics:

1 war: dominates the 21st century, but in our generation we are ignorant to the fact that it was far worse last century. do you think it's wise to pull troops out of iraq? do you think nations should join up to fight korea?

2 technology: do you think we're advancing far beyond what one human brain can handle? are we getting too spoiled by our toys, and left as whiny losers compared to our pioneers?

3 environment: can we solve pollution or are doomed to soon lose all control, to the point that the outside world will become toxic? i could go both ways on that myself.

penny for your thoughts....

Last edited:
that's a good one but i'm not very familiar with the US. the only good thing Goerge W Bush ever did was try to reform education, and i wouldn't be surprised if that failed too (not to stoke fire, but the consensus is he was lousy) my opinion is the problem begins at home, the parents who grew up with a weak education don't tranfer much in good study habits.

i grew up with teachers for parents, so i can't know the problem first hand.

i seek to amend that actually, and say W did his best deed in reforming education. he was no villain at whole.

Last edited:
Same here, my father was a history teacher for 25 years. If parents are not at home and do not give a rats ass about the how there children are doing in school. Then I think the child will not care if he does poorly because there are no consequences .

Electricity now rules our life's
And the sun is waking up and might send a flair over here and wipe it out.

Yay dark ages again

that's so true, a power outage leaves us pretty helpless considering we're so dependant on the internet. i remember in my childhood the power was out for three days, but that wasn't a huge problem in the 80's.

but back to the top, surely we can discuss iraq in a mature fashion? is there any silver lining to be found there?

Nar.
We move in and try to get them civilised and they don't want it. They want to go back to a stone age view of things.

Is the UK losing its sense of humour?
Recent things on Top gear and Qi that made people get annoyed hat we would of just laughed at years ago. Ok Top Gear is all done in the lighter mood and Qi getting in trouble for one quote.

So in my eyes we are. We can no longer have things like Young Ones and Benny Hill on encase someone gets offended.

The "Top Gear" thing... I don´t think that´s a serious problem, people just overreacted to it, we have bigger, much bigger problems, than a bunch of plain comments.

So back to topic, the current economical model is trash.

the economy is positive for me, the sliding american dollar means i can get stuff cheaper on E bay, woo! i understand how families are having trouble making ends meet, but that has always been the case in newfoundland and we don't complain.

if republicans don't wake up and smell that taxing the rich is the only solution, i don't see any way USA will ever fully recover. Obama is doing dynamite imo but his naysayers will keep his great ideas from ever being realized.

Agree on everything but I was refering the part of the model that says produce, produce, produce!, there´s no way back from there...

oh you mean the capitalist assumption that you can make a product and then find a market for it after? Making Tron dvds that end up in landfills for example? capitalism has it's flaws but it it still the best economic system we have. only making products that the government sees fit is called communism, and i would doubt we would have fancy pseudo-intelligent cars and fast computers and and robots working on mars if the whole world was run like that.

Tron DVDs Lol, Right, Then what we need are serious regulations about the enviroment, the overpopulation it´s another big prob.

right but i simply couldn't write this whole thing by myself. i mean i could, but that would be like repeating seven years in university and getting no credit for it :biggrin: the chair is open.

Back