PS2 and New Games

Liguori

in principio erat Verbum
Feb 13, 2008
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
I apologize to the staff if this is in the wrong section. I wasn't sure where else to post it.

I am considering buying a PS2 and I was wondering if anyone knew how long new games will be made for it? Also, I have heard rumors of a price drop soon....is there any truth to these rumors?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
i've heard that they were going to stop making games for 2008 but there have been a few new games since i believe so that was obviously a rumor. i'd say probably though this year at the most. but if you dont want to fork out the cash for a ps3 then a ps2 is still a good decision, it's got SO many good but cheap games. but i think most of the ps2's online servers have shut down.

Thank you for the info. I didn't know that about the online servers either. The large amount of very cheap games (as you mentioned) is definitely one of the reasons I am considering getting a PS2.

One of the last PS2 games I'm getting this year will be Persona 3. It's being relaunched with bonus features for $30! The basic Atlus rule is you buy their game within the first few months of release or suffer. This is the only game company in the industry where game prices can increase as time goes by! If you own a PS2, this should be your final year to finalize your library. The console will be discontinued this year. A Gamestop employee told me the company already has plans on removing shelf space for PS2 games.

You can always buy games used. But bear in mind certain games will actually sell for higher later on than right now.

Last edited:
sagema said:
One of the last PS2 games I'm getting this year will be Persona 3. It's being relaunched with bonus features for $30! The basic Atlus rule is you buy their game within the first few months of release or suffer. This is the only game company in the industry where game prices can increase as time goes by! If you own a PS2, this should be your final year to finalize your library. The console will be discontinued this year. A Gamestop employee told me the company already has plans on removing shelf space for PS2 games.

You can always buy games used. But bear in mind certain games will actually sell for higher later on than right now.

for sure, cube and xbox now only have a small section of used games on a shabby old shelf in the corner of the gamestop by me. but PS2 still has a lot of wall space and im sure itll be there for months but even after that there will be used ps2 games for a long, long time. theres always ebay too.

PS2 is still one of the top selling consoles for some reason, dont worry about games being discontinued and removed from shelves so soon.

End of 2008 they will dramatically reduce shelf space. Go pester a Gamestop manager near you for more info. Sony has very aggressive plans to remove the PS2 from the market by the end of this year. Will Gamestop continue selling PS2 games? Yes, but expect a dramatic drop off by the end of this year.

The better question to ask is which console will occupy the bulk of the shelf space in the near future?

I'd rather just save up and get a PS3..you'll be getting previous and current gen.

Back