PS2 Modding

NateTheGreat

Pondering Member
Jun 30, 2006
A basement on the hill.
Wii Online Code
4054-9249-4284-3802
I'm surprised there's never really been a thread about modding on this site.

For those who don't completly understand what I'm talking about, modding your console will allow you to do things like play import games (games made in Japan, for example, will be playable on the US version of the console), use emmulators to play old games like NES, SNES, and N64 games, and you can even back-up your games to a blank disc and play them on your console.

Now, this is not necessarily legal or illigal because you should be allowed to make a backup of a game just as you make a backup of a song, which is completly legal. PC gamers copy their games to their computers all the time because in many cases, they have to or else they can't play the game.

So, I'm trying to figure out what modchip I should get for my PS2, so that I can play import PS2 and most importantly PS1 games. A few months ago I bought this Japanese game called Vib-ribbon but I don't know what modchip to get for my US PS2. Also, I would like to be able to play games that I've copied on to DVD.

Does anyone here a modchip installed in their PS2 and/or know what modchip I should get?

i dont know much about PS2 modding but i do know there is a swap disc you can buy. you can also buy a flip top cover for your PS2 to use with the swap disc so you dont ruin your drive with the slide card. with the swap disc you can play backups and i think imports. just put in the disc and swap discs when it tells you to

well, what i do is download the PS2 on my computer and play it there using a special site to download it so u dont get any problems like that...its is LEGAL since i currently own a PS2 so their money is not going to waste...plus, i had to dump all the BIOs into the computer, for those of u who know what im talking about...its far better the the PC! :D

Response to Mitch2025

I've heard and read into swap discs and I didn't realize they allowed you to play copied versions of games. I did know they let you play import games, and I almost bought one, but then I found out that Vib-ribbon, the PS1 import game I got (basicly the only reason I want to mod my PS2 is to play this game and maybe to install a hard drive, which I could back up a few games to) was one of the few that did not work using the swap disc.

It's really frustrating how game developers create these great games and then make them available only to certain portions of the world.

Anyway, thanks. If you or anyone else knows more, please tell me.

That swap disc does not work for everything. It has like 60% chance of working, i spent alot on my chip and it hasnt failed me for like 4 years (or 3 i cant remember)

RPGMasterTurk91 said:
well, what i do is download the PS2 on my computer and play it there using a special site to download it so u dont get any problems like that...its is LEGAL since i currently own a PS2 so their money is not going to waste...plus, i had to dump all the BIOs into the computer, for those of u who know what im talking about...its far better the the PC! :D
Please, tell me more! Do you download the actual games to the PC and play them on the PC using a PS2 controller or do you download them to your PC and then burn them to DVD, which you then play on the PS2 or what?

m7ticalm said:
That swap disc does not work for everything. It has like 60% chance of working, i spent alot on my chip and it hasnt failed me for like 4 years (or 3 i cant remember)
Can you tell me what chip you have, m7ticalm? Or direct me to a site?

Thanks guys.:)

i cant remember the name but i got the best one :), i ll ask my friend at school today what the best ones are cause he works at a mod shop. On that note, i have to go to school, im leaving house in 45 minutes so gota change, bye.

Holy crap, it's like 7:00AM where you live, isn't it m7ticalm?! Well, thanks for helping me so early in the morning and for asking that guy at school.

Illeagel in the uk

But mrmodchips sell them

Back