PS2 slim - good deal?

Jay588

?
Sep 17, 2007
NYC
I was looking through this users ebay items where he was selling a painting i had sold him a short time ago. he is now selling a ps2 and a game. i looked around ebay and i saw some ps2 slims without any games, memory cards or anything for like 120+ and ones that come with games are like 150+..i am sort of interested in a ps2 because they still make new games for it and ps3 games are really expensive. plus i like the look of the slim one. $95 bucks seems pretty reasonable i guess..what do u think? the condition looks pretty good also

heres the link

Last edited:
The slim models are great and reliable. Much more so than the PS2 flat. Has a built in network adapter so it;s just plug and play online. I bought mine brand new becuase I wanted the one year warranty and I suggest you do the same.

$95 bucks is a good deal for a system but you don't know what kind of hell it could have been through. $25 more and you can have a brand new console. Yeah, Sony dropped the PS2 price.

EDIT: I still suggest the slimline over fat. It's all in reliability. The slime will last longer, top loader is better than disk drive. It's smaller and more practical. I thought you could get a hdd for a slim.

Last edited:
I would suggest trying to buy one of the "fat" models... You can get those for under a $100. They come w/ a controller and memory card usually. You'll have to get the network adapter separately. But you'll be able to install a harddrive and then copy games to the hdd and run them off it, which makes life considerably more convent since not only do you have to deal w/ endless disc swapping, but running games of the hdd considerably lowers load times (that is if they will run at all, not all games will.)

Just make sure the games you copy to the hdd are games you own while they are installed. It's perfectly legal to use something such as hdloader. It's not legal to use it too keep games you don't own.

If you do use it illegally I will come over and smash the PS2 with my much heavier PS3. You won't like that at all. :)

i had the older model and it broke on me, i didnt want to buy another but recently i read that the slim models have less of a chance of burning out. plus it saves a load of room

There are rumors (totally unconfirmed) that the PS2 Slim will drop to $99 in time for the holiday shopping season.

i cant rely on that rumor lol, i could possibly get it for cheaper than that if i wait til last minute to bid...the question is, will someone beat me to it and buy it now

I recommend the slim. The originals tend to break down within 2-4 years. If you owned one of the first PS2's at launch it can't play games like Xeno Saga 1 due to a disk read error. Thanks Namco. Also... Avoid Ebay!

The slim should be more durable. The PS2 and Xbox were some of the first consoles to have a literal 1-5 year life span. All my friends who bought an original Xbox or PS2 had their consoles die on them. Mine is almost dead too. The controller port barely works, and the disk reader crashes on certain movies and games. My TG-16, Saturn, DC, Atari 2600, NES, SNES, N64, PS1, still work. Of coarse many of you know disk readers simply don't last longer than 10 years max(if any of you owned a computer for that long).

I would recommend the slim. I haven't had my slim but a year, but most of the people I know who have had slims seem pretty happy with them. Most of the people I know who haven't had slims have gone through numerous PS2s.

I'd also recommend not watching DVDs or playing CDs on them. I'm not sure if the rumors of it wearing down your fan are really true or not, but you're better off not taking the chance.

At any rate, most of stores I know only care PS2 slims new, so if you were to get a normal PS2 you'd have to get it used. I wouldn't recommend that with most systems, especially playstations.

Eh, my PS2 Phat is upcoming it's 8th year, nothing happened yet...if you take care of it, then it shouldn't break.

sagema said:
I recommend the slim. The originals tend to break down within 2-4 years.

Oh jeezus! I got my PS2 earnly in 2001 :crazy: Though even if it broke +today+, I'd say I got my fair share of use out of it :D

All I can say is if you like a good action/adventure type game, God of War (and GOW II) are fantastic. GOW II was the last game we played on the PS2, so I'd be happy if that finished it.

Er, sorry, that was totally off topic wasn't it?

RivalDestiny said:
Eh, my PS2 Phat is upcoming it's 8th year, nothing happened yet...if you take care of it, then it shouldn't break.

Well, oddly enough, the one of my friends that's had his PS2 die on him is one of the most obsessed, hardcore gamer ever. He's the type who takes super good care of his systems, and all of his other systems work perfectly fine, including his Atari. Yet he's already gone through 2 PS2s. Maybe it just depends on the individual system...

thanks for your replies guys..i am scared now because the auction now has a bid and the buy it now it gone :yikes:, still got 5 or so days to go

RivalDestiny said:
damn, thats a long time!

Just to add I have also had my PS2 since it's release, it has gone everywhere with me also, to include deployments once to Saudi Arabia and twice to Iraq, never been cleaned or cared for in any special way and works like a charm...knock on wood! Lol I'm sure there are lemons in every system, maybe your buddy bought ones that were made on a Friday when the guy was trying to get home early or something! Lol

I probably clocked the most hours on my PS2. I'd say it's a tie between my SNES and NES for 2nd place usage. Eventually my Wii will break the record. I wish I could give an exact hour, as it would help determine how long a PS2 can actually last. I melted my computer processor last year. Poor computer (2002-2006 Gateway RIP). This new Dell owns.

damn you play a lot of games lol..I guess I'm considered a casual gamer because I'm here on the forums more than on the wii..but I'm hooked on counterstrike source like its nobodys business :yikes:

Back