Wii_BrEnDo2007

Gran Turismo
Jan 3, 2007
Ecosse
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
Check out this article:
Square Enix CEO: 360, PS3 too complex
Talking up the DS and Wii, Yoichi Wada believes that the two next-gen consoles are 'over-engineered' and 'mismatched' to gamers' needs.
By Emma Boyes, GameSpot UK
Posted Jun 12, 2007 4:35 pm GMT
Square Enix dropped the bombshell in December that the latest in its Dragon Quest role-playing game series, Dragon Quest IX: Guard of the Starry Night (working title), would be coming exclusively to the DS. As the last installments of the game--which is very, very big in Japan--were on Sony's PlayStation 2 and original PlayStation, the news was a head-scratcher for many.

Square Enix's president and CEO, Yoichi Wada, has now explained the decision, which he says was made so that the "widest array of people" could play the latest installment in the RPG series, reports the Financial Times. He believes bringing the series to the DS means the game could find fans outside of its current audience.

Wada appears not to be a fan of complex next-gen consoles like the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3, which he calls "over-engineered." He told the newspaper, "There are too many specs--and you also need a high-definition TV, a broadband connection, and a deep knowledge of gaming--these consoles are mismatched to today's environment. In a year or two years, they will fare better."

The Square Enix executive believes that the ground has shifted in the gaming industry. "[Whereas] in the old days,we could just focus on the PlayStation or the Game Boy," he said, "the environment has changed completely." A new breed of gamer has also emerged on the back of the release of Nintendo's marketing push to embrace nontraditional gamers--including women and older people--and this means, Wada says, "we have to make games for all kinds of people."

looks like they are walking in the right direction with a ds exclusive

I care! This is some of the best news for Japanese Nintendo owners for ages, and gives a glimmer of hope for the rest of the world. The only note of caution that I would offer is that games that appear in Japan often don't make it to the UK (where I am).

True, though it only says it of today:
Wada appears not to be a fan of complex next-gen consoles like the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3, which he calls "over-engineered." He told the newspaper, "There are too many specs--and you also need a high-definition TV, a broadband connection, and a deep knowledge of gaming--these consoles are mismatched to today's environment. In a year or two years, they will fare better."
Just thought I would point that out before some others get in...

Heck, maybe in a year or so, I'll consider getting a 360. (Though I doubt I will have it online).

this is is great news, if only they would move the entire FF series back to where they started, Nintendo's platforms

i will be sticking to my wii and of course the best selling games console at the moment ds

Yeah dude, great find. I'm not familiar with the dragon quest series. But this does give me hope that Final Fantasy will come back to Nintendo.

yeah hopefully it will it is great news and thanks for regonizing it

Square Enix is right on. Nintendo is winning because they appeal to a broader market. My mom was the one in my family most excited about the wii, and i know plenty of girls who want one. Meanwhile, the PS3 and 360 appeal to... gamers, gamers, and more gamers. Ya, thats a pretty large target market, but i'd say the rest of the world is a bit bigger.

guitarguy9 said:
Square Enix is right on. Nintendo is winning because they appeal to a broader market. My mom was the one in my family most excited about the wii, and i know plenty of girls who want one. Meanwhile, the PS3 and 360 appeal to... gamers, gamers, and more gamers. Ya, thats a pretty large target market, but i'd say the rest of the world is a bit bigger.
Well, to be fair, not every gamer. I consider myself fairly hardcore. However, the label in the west of the hardcore gamer seems to revolve around mature games and FPS. I don't limit myself to those, which is part of the reason I've got a Wii - although I'm looking forward to most of the mature games. I'm even looking forward to MK Armageddon on Friday.

However, the PS3 and 360 doesn't have what interests me atm. May get a 360 next year, but only once there's some games that I'm really interested in coming out.

Thats a nice find. I have always been a DQ fan, so I am pleased that it will be on the DS. I may also consider getting a PS3 or an Xbox 360 in two years though.

Squall7 said:
I consider myself fairly hardcore. However, the label in the west of the hardcore gamer seems to revolve around mature games and FPS. I don't limit myself to those, which is part of the reason I've got a Wii - although I'm looking forward to most of the mature games. I'm even looking forward to MK Armageddon on Friday.
I'm a little like that too, I've become more interested in mature games such as shooters. I never liked the Resident Evil games and never played one but now I have an interest and planning to get RE4 when it's released.

Yeah, the guys at square love the Wii. They have been playing their office Wii constantly apparently.

They've stated in interviews that future Final Fantasy games (13 and on) will NOT be PS3 exclusive, but available on the 360, and Wii if they can adapt them. Also, they intend to make a number of Wii and DS exclusive Final Fantasy games, both the crystal chronicles series and tie in games like FFXII: Revenant Wings.

Back