Ps3 Cooling Fan?

---Brian---

WiiChat Member
Apr 1, 2007
Scotland
Can anyone recommend a good Ps3 cooling fan, my Ps3 does get pretty hot, not hot enough to damage it, but i just want to be safe so does anyone know any good cooling fans? dont want it to be too loud and im from the uk.

thats strange... is your ps3 in a hot location such as a cabinet with no air flow? Or a room thats not normal room temp?

The ps3 doesnt run hot normally so it can be a number of things. One is to check to make sure it has airflow and that none of the vents are blocked . So depending on how you are laying it down, it might even be a good idea to put some thing under it to let air flow through (kind of like when a laptop gets hot on the bottom, you put it on top of two books leaving the center of the laptop not touching anything). If you are in a hot location where the heat is part of where you live, a regular fan would help a little and an airconditioner would be key.

Also DUST will cause anything to overheat so make sure its cleaned out (can of air fixes that).

The 360 has a cooling fan you can buy at Gamestop for $20. It's a great deal. For $20 you garauntee your system won't fry. It's far better than any warrenty. I'm not sure if the PS3 has one out yet, ask Gamestop, or EB next time you are over there.

I also recommend for the Wii that all users turn off Standby Mode. The system gets warm enough to create problems later on. All 3 systems can overheat if given the right conditions. Make sure you don't ever meet those conditions.

umm i haveheard mixed reviews about the intercooler, but thats what i would go with, also if your ps3 is verticle it wont heat up as much

the 360 intercooler just breaks the console, not sure what its like for the ps3 though...

my friends ps3 gets really hot and we live in the uk ( cold ). Also the ps3 attracts A LOT of dust

I had mine on for a straight week, it didnt get any hotter then normal. They do have some good fans out there, on eof them has like 5 on it, a little much but i guess it does the job.

All games consoles/computers are going to heat up - unless they are very well cooled and not operating at their peak performance. I wouldn't worry about your PS3 overheating to the point of it being damaged though. And if it did - its under warranty :thumbsup:

I expect a few Sony/PS3 fanboys to tell you this;
"You lie! The PS3 doesn't run hot! Its made of super sci-fi futuristic materials that actually make it turn colder whilst its running! And you know the PS3 was actually designed and created (secretly) by Jesus Christ, so it can't be wrong or bad in any way! You must have it under a whole load of duvets and surrounded by hot water bottles! And have all this sitting in front of a roaring open fire!"

But fact is its gonna heat up like anything else...

Game system warranties suck. After a year the console breaks, it becomes tough S on you. They have gotten better at repairing damaged consoles. But I assure you, after a year or two they may stop those services. Do not rely on that fail safe forever! It may not be there next year.

The PS2 attracts a lot of dust. I have to dust it off every month. Treat your console like crap, and you are begging for problems.

sagema said:
Game system warranties suck. After a year the console breaks, it becomes tough S on you. They have gotten better at repairing damaged consoles. But I assure you, after a year or two they may stop those services. Do not rely on that fail safe forever! It may not be there next year.

The PS2 attracts a lot of dust. I have to dust it off every month. Treat your console like crap, and you are begging for problems.

Thats very TRUE!!

But on the GC part i dont know about!!
My GC is soo fvcking dusty, and dont even clean it and it still works for some reason, the GC might be garbage now, but the manufactures that made it, made it almost perfect-fully to the point that the system wont even mess up even though that it is dusty!

Last edited:
WII60 said:
^^
thats the same as my ps2

Really thats my first time hearing, well im not sure! But still, its been a long time since i heard something like that!!

Because all ive been hearing is my ps2 breaks down or the controllers mess up too easily with some of the wires hanging out!!

But thats good if your ps2 isnt doing that, bc you got some good ps2 games coming your way if you still play your ps2!

nah i dont really play it, i'm actually trying to sell it, ive had it for about 7 years and it works perfectly, i must just keep my consoles in good condition.

Yea, its best to keep it in the best condition you can keep it in, cause who knows, you might run up to somebody who wants a ps2........ hmmmm, that could lighten up some of your days dont you think?:yesnod:

Well, i have it sitting on a shelf next to my Wii, and its got another shelf on top of it with my tv on it, dunno i wouldnt say its inclosed, theres 8 1/2 inches between the shelf my Ps3 is sitting on and the shelf above it. The Ps3 is sitting on a glass shelf too so can anyone tell me if its ventilated enough, theres plenty of space at the back and front of it.

Ohh and i keep it clean, i dust it about 2-3 times a day, i like it shinning like bad lol=p Finger prints = Bad!

Ohh and Shiftfallout, all the vents are not blocked and im from Scotland, its not exactly boiling here, but it has been warm for a few days now lol. The room is pretty cool, the Ps3 is right next to a window thats always open.

Last edited:
Back