Squall7

A li'l bit different
May 17, 2006
Cornwall, UK
Wii Online Code
8420-0141-9022-6948
Wow. That's all I'll say.
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/730/730811p1.html
UK, September 6, 2006 - Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has announced the launch of PlayStation 3 in PAL territories will be delayed until March 2007. In an official statement Sony blamed the slippage on a lack of key components needed to manufacturer the consoles, adding, "the revision of the launch date in the SCEE territories is caused by the delay in the mass production schedule of the blue laser diode within the Sony Group, this affecting the timely procurement of key components to be utilised in PlayStation 3."

It says it's official too...

EDIT: In another announcement, Sony has said that it will limit the number of units going to North America AND Japan.
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/06/north-american-japanese-ps3-launch-limited-to-500-000-units/
Apparently the blue laser diode shortage that has delayed the PAL launch of the PS3 will also be affecting the North American and Japanese launches of the console. Sony Computer Entertainment Chief Ken Kutaragi told reporters that far fewer units will be available for the U.S. and Japanese launches, with the U.S. to be allocated 400,000 units, and Japan getting 100,000. As a result, Sony has now lowered its estimate of 4 million PS3s shipped by the end of 2006 to a more realistic 2 million.
This could turn out to be the biggest blooper in videogame history!

EDIT: A word from IGN
News of the delay broke at an official Sony press conference in Japan, where the company president revealed that production of the Blu-Ray laser diode - an integral part of PS3 - would be delayed by around one month. The knock-on effect to the console's mass-production was cited as the reason for the change to PS3's European release.

Kutaragi added, "I would like to apologise for those people in Europe who had high expectations for Playstion 3 consoles, as well as for software and device makers that we had to delay the launch for Europe." However, the Sony president was keen to reassure that, "Altogether, I do not think this time delay will cause serious damage to our PS3 business".
Wow, saying an entire market such as Europe will not cause serious damage to the PS3 buisness? Isn't that a slap in the face to everyone in Europe that was eagerly awaiting the PS3? (not me)

Last edited:
m7ticalm said:
HAHAHAHA, sucks to all Sony fans. I dont think they can call it a global launch anymore.
Although saying that, it will take the pressure off Nintendo to release in Europe early. Hopefully Nintendo have already got their strategy to release in place, and won't delay in Europe simply because they can. That would really suck. Still, if Nintendo goes ahead with the October/November release, we may see Europe become one of the biggest markets for the Wii!

*crosses fingers for the latter option*

Typical. Yet another example of console manufacturers not giving a damn about Europe. It doesn't matter if it's delayed in Europe, as long as America gets it on time... :rolleyes:

With so much negative publicity for Sony already you really have to wonder what gave them this "great" idea. Problem is Sony have become too arrogant. They think people will just buy whatever crap they release at any price, no matter how ridiculous, but if they continue like this they could end up losing a lot of money.

Wat about Australia?... You guys think your unlucky in europe, well guess wat? we will probably have to wait like 2 weeks after you guys for the wii :(

m7ticalm said:
Wat about Australia?... You guys think your unlucky in europe, well guess wat? we will probably have to wait like 2 weeks after you guys for the wii :(
Very true. Once more, the whole "reason" that Europe is so far behind the rest of the world is because of localisation. As far as I'm aware, Australia would only come under an English speaking country, so the German/French/Spanish/Italian etc... wouldn't be needed. Heck, I don't think the UK should have to wait for things to be localised either, considering we just get the PAL versions of the American stuff (and even some of them are emulated badly). Have to say though that PlayStation was really much worse than Nintendo on that front (In my experience).

Last edited:
that is the worst possible thing to happen to sony that just means the pal region is going to be dominated by wiis i almost fell sorry for them thats like six months i fell naughty laughing at this but it feels oh so good

Sam_Harris said:
that is the worst possible thing to happen to sony that just means the pal region is going to be dominated by wiis i almost fell sorry for them thats like six months i fell naughty laughing at this but it feels oh so good
I know. It kinda makes me feel sorry for the SonyFanboys...

...Hopefully they will veer away from the Dark side and return to the light side of the force!

I think many people in Europe who were going to get the PS3 will convert to the other consoles, because time is presious

jiarachi_dancing_man said:
sony fans by the time the ps3 actually hits the shelves will be wii fans
I live in the UK, I was waiting for the PS3 but now I am getting a Wii!! (A change of direction, this will be my first Nintendo console [that I actually plan to use, anyway!])

Hopefully, the Wii will be released soon. I am quite looking forward to it!

woot bye bye sony hello nintendo come previous sony fans join the nintendo band wagon you wont get alot of bad news with nintendo and the wii will get more mature games so why stay with sony?

Back